Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Raptor 80 ground clearance/bigger tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 80 ground clearance/bigger tires?

We also have a 93 LT80. Stock for stock our LT would get a quad length ahead of our 94 Badger in 40'. From there on out it just pulled away. Our Badger will run just a hair faster than our neighbors Raptor80. (no restrictors) When I switched to a 12 tooth front sprocket and some minor other mods to the LT, it ran about 45 with the stock tires. (20x7x8) We have since switched from the worn out stock tires to a set of 18x6.5x8 Holeshots. They were terribly short for the riding we do, (measured in at 16" tall with 15psi in them!) So my youngest son saved his birthday money and bought a set of Douglas blue lables and a set of 18x9.5x8 Shredders. They work great, but the LT couldn't handle them in the hills and hollers we have, so I put the stock 10tooth front sprocket back on. Right now, it will run about 35+mph.

The reasons I believe the Raptor to be a better starter quad is the fact it does have gears. IN my opion, if a kid cannot comprehand the gears, they don't need to be riding. Easier does not mean better, it means dumber people can do it!!! It is real easy to make it start in gear. So a person can do that then take the gear shifter off to limit speed better than any throttle limiter. Plus if you have hills, or do let the kid out on a trail, when they back off the gas, it slows down. Thats not the case with the autos. The things will run forever if taken care of. And adults can even ride them if needed. From the sound of most people on this board, we ride alot more and harder than most. Other than getting high centered from time to time, my kids can go places that would make most adults shrug their shoulders. The badger ran well, but the LT runs better for us.

The Raptor does have a full proof back up starter. These are some of the easiest quads to push or pull start that you can find. Most people can put one in third and push it by themselfs and get them started. Just because the starter won't work in gear doen't mean it won't start in gear.

Oh by the way
Raptor =243lbs
LT80 = 220 lbs
Honda 90 = 244 lbs
most others = 210-235lbs
I don't think the wieght is the biggest factor. I think the shaft drive and four stroke has more to do with it than the weight.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the skinny on that. I never knew you could jump start them. you bet I'll be trying it next time out!! I wondered about the weight comment by dragginbutt, too. I knew the Honda 90 and Raptor 80 were within 5lbs of each other, but wasn't sure on others. I assumed they'd all be in the 220lb range, so i thought, "what difference is 20lbs??" I guess it might mean something if you're racing.

I thought shaft drive and four stroke would be desirable!? they are to me. I see your point and like your comment about auto just making it easier for dumb people to be able to ride (gee, thanks, my kody 450 is auto, so i must be dumb too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . But most people are lazy or just want the kids to learn gas, brake and steer before complicating it with gears. It's made my son a better rider on his XR70 dirtbike. I agree, they're good skills to have.

I'm going out to my shop now to see where my power loss is on the LT80, plus play with that @#$%#*&# starter again (what a pain to remove!).

Oh, BTW, for the all the accolades honda gives themselves, i didn't like their 90 at all. Pull start only! That sucks for kids. It took on water and stalled way easier than the Raptor or LT (based upon crossing in the exact same spot). I liked the extra gear over the Raptor, that was it. And the front end was really loose and sloppy. Not impressed for a Honda product.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't tried the bump start methon on the kid's raptor.. but in all fairness, Haven't had to. I do like the way it slows down when you get off the gas as if you were applying the brakes. It has saved my kid a couple of times. Also, I like the shaft drive and the general tank feeling it has. It may weigh in a little heavier than the others, but I don't think I'll have to worry about it getting bent either...We are not in to racing anyway.. so jumping, top speed etc are not on my priority list. Ease of maintenece, bullit proof performance and safe operation etc are much more important to me. Also, for those wanting a tether/kill switch for the 80, I simply adapted one from a persoanl watercraft.. works great...
Lastly, yo umight want to look at resale values on your minis too... The Raptor 80s, LT 80's etc seem to pull almost what you pay new... not like some of the others that lose a great deal. I expect my son's to last through him, and the grandchildren...

Old 06-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good in the water too. Can go deeper than the Honda. From what a few have told me about the belt-drives(Eton), they can't go as deep as floorboards without taking on water, plus it gets in the oil.