Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

selling a quad - scams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling a quad - scams?

I am trying to sell our Badger and I put it on our local city website. (classified adds). I have a gentleman that e-mailed me saying he would buy it. Thing is, he's not in the U.S. He says he'll have someone here take care of shipping it and he will send me a certified check for the money. I have never shipped anything like this before and was wondering if this could be a scam of some sort?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I would not do it. There are way to many scams going on with these oversea's deals ie: bogus money orders, credit card scams and you are the one who will get screwed in the long run. If it was like a $10.00 item that's alittle different. Just be very cautious and like I said I would not even think about doing it if it was me.

Have you posted it in all the forums???

Goodluck

Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

The current scam is a bad check scam. Banks hold funds for 5 days or so, then clear the check. You send the quad, but the check, because it is international, actually bounces. it takes your bank 2 or 3 weeks to find out, then they yank the funds back, leaving you with overdraft costs, no money, and no quad.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If "He says he'll have someone here take care of shipping" then why can't that same person give you a local certified cheque? Better yet, " US cash only ". Doing business with someone outside your region is a good thing. The risky part is ensuring you'll get paid for your goods, and inturn he gets the goods. Like you, there's many times I wrote a cheque for quad parts that were only available in another region. Many great dealers on this forum who have a solid reputation. Well worth the risk on my part. If someone locally or someone from a well known shipping company writes you the certified cheque, it would create much lower risk - to you.

Hope this idea helps.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ok Here is his e-mail that was sent to me.

I am willing to buy your (1994 Yamaha Badger 80 4-wheeler) for $800
my mode of payment will lays on certified cashier's check drawn in U.S
funds , i will be informing my client in U.S who be forwarding a check
of $5000 to you on my behave , i will be handling the shipping, and
every relevant title, if you want me to forward the check to you, i want
you to give me the name that will be on cheque and your physical address
which you will like to recieve the cheque with your cell phone number
and land line ,but if you will prefer to receive the check in your bank
i will want you to provide all the necessary info concerning your bank
(bank name and address , account #and rounting #, so that i can order
my client to wire the payment to your bank asap.more over the balance on
the excess funds will be base on shipping bcos they are having other
consignment for me to do the pick up, the shipper's will be incharges of
sign all relevant document,i will like to know if may mode of pa
yment is accepted by you or not . i will really appreiciate your
instant response.
Thanks

I hate to distrust people, but I hate to be had even more. What do you guys think?

Old 06-09-2004, 12:24 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your name, address, account and routing number, he can order checks under your name and spend all of your money before you or the bank catches it (happened to my company). Don't ever give out that information unless it's a business you trust to keep it confidential. Identity theft is a BIG problem right now.

I would tell him you'll release the quad when his check clears your bank or no deal.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Theres no way I would give out my banking info!! I didn't know about the certified check part of this. I really want to sell it, but I think I will follow my gut instinct and your advise and pass on this deal. Thanks!!

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I am willing to buy your (1994 Yamaha Badger 80 4-wheeler) for $800
my mode of payment will lays on certified cashier's check drawn in U.S
funds , i will be informing my client in U.S who be forwarding a check
of $5000 to you on my behave , i will be handling the shipping, and
every relevant title, if you want me to forward the check to you, i want
you to give me the name that will be on cheque and your physical address
which you will like to recieve the cheque with your cell phone number
and land line ,but if you will prefer to receive the check in your bank
i will want you to provide all the necessary info concerning your bank
(bank name and address , account #and rounting #, so that i can order
my client to wire the payment to your bank asap.more over the balance on
the excess funds will be base on shipping bcos they are having other
consignment for me to do the pick up, the shipper's will be incharges of
sign all relevant document,i will like to know if may mode of pa
yment is accepted by you or not . i will really appreiciate your
instant response.
Thanks

SCAM SCAM SCAM.....Check scams are not the only method of these foreign scams. My fiance' works for a company that had an overseas company asking them to purchase cell phones and different thing of that nature. So before they did any buying on behalf of this company he called the F.B.I they told him to proceed with caution as long as they felt comfortable. The payment was with credit cards. Well needless to say his boss went ahead and bought a few and shipped them out. About 1 month later the credit card company informed him not to take any type of credit payment from this oversea's company and advise him not to deal with checks with this place either.

I have read about this type of stuff going on when they send you a check for a less purchase and give you a check for well over the amount and you give them the cash and the item and you get a big screwing in the long run. This type of crap has been going on for awhile.

If my memory serves me correctly there was another post about this same type of activity that another user had come accross...do a forum search and you may find it on some of the sites.

I know cycletrader.com and Ebay has alot of this crap going on also. I was interested in a honda trx90 on at cycletrader.com ...HAHAHAHA that's funny, anyway i got an email from someone claiming to have this quad for sale...If I send him 1,200 and he would ship it to me for nothing....total BS. The picture that was posted was the same bike that was on auction on ebay. The location for the ebay trx was in the states the other was in spain.

STAY AWAY FROM THSES PEOPLE...do not support a TERROIST....because that might just be what you end up doing.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

here is a link to a past scam post.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...keyword1=scams

Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spike99
If "He says he'll have someone here take care of shipping" then why can't that same person give you a local certified cheque? Better yet, " US cash only ". Doing business with someone outside your region is a good thing. The risky part is ensuring you'll get paid for your goods, and inturn he gets the goods. Like you, there's many times I wrote a cheque for quad parts that were only available in another region. Many great dealers on this forum who have a solid reputation. Well worth the risk on my part. If someone locally or someone from a well known shipping company writes you the certified cheque, it would create much lower risk - to you.

Hope this idea helps.

I would see if you can get the cash from his buddy and see what he says.

Quick Reply: selling a quad - scams?