Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time buyer

I didn't like pull-start only on the Honda and found it took on water easier than the LT80, or Raptor 80, so we had to drain carb to get it going. At 11 y/o maybe pull start isn't a big deal. There is a good post here by a guy who sounds like he's really put his Yamoto 110 through some abuse and it's holding up well. You can get one for around $1400, NEW.

Etons are very well-reviewed by their owners. I'd get something like a 90 if he's never ridden, and bigger if he has ridden, but I think a blaster is too big. Reverse would be nice and very few 90's have that. The off-shores make 110s, 150s. Yamaha makes a 125 and Suzuki makes a 160. Otherwise, there's not much in the mid-range sizes. I'd look at those. A fairly new, but used Yam. Breeeze (125)would be in your price range.

The Koreans were making the LT50 for Suzuki in 1984. It wouldn't surprise me to discover they've made the 160 for them aswell.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Default 1st time buyer

lt160

Quality issues huh? They onlly carried it for how long? They produced the old lt's too.

Well, the link didn't work like I wanted but you can go to off-road products. Let me know if you still doubt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time buyer

Personally, I would stick with the big 3 only: Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha, in that order.
IMO..I think to top 3 are over priced for what you get. The off brand quads offer up alot more featuers than the big 3. Do some research, side by side comparision's and go from there.

Goodluck it can be a very hard choice to make with so many models out there.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default 1st time buyer

I always thought is was the big 4 including Kawasaki? With Polaris nipping at their heels?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

aren't the Kawi and Suzuki the same thing, and both made in Korea? many of the Yamaha parts are alleged to be made in China, which is why they're carbon-copying the shaft drive design and Raptor styling. And Polaris' kid's quad is made off-shore too, according to many reports. Ditto for Arctic Cat.

nickel, have we given you info overload and confused you enough yet?that's how i entered this chat room and came up with my name... "confused buyer". I'd say everyone's posted pretty positive stuff about THEIR experiences with their brands,so whatever you decide you like for the combination of features, looks, size, etc..
Personally, I like 4-stroke shaft drive for super-low maintenance and longevity. Others like the CVT automatics for easier riding and no gears. Some like 2-stroke for performance/racing. TYPE of riding also may be a factor. Lots of puddles /creek, some have posted to say the CVTs don't handle water well, including water in the crankcase+belt slippage, so that may factor into your decision.

So... you need to figure out which of those things are important to you to help narrow it down. Then you may want to see what's your best VALUE for the $$. i.e., re-sale down the road, or features/dependability for the $$.

Because most brands seem to have received good feedback from their owners, I'd be more concerned with not buying one of the brands that is routinely trashed like Kazuma and Meercat. If you find something you've never heard of, post here, cuz most of these folks can give you some honest feedback.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 1st time buyer

My objection to the brands nickal mentioned is primarily due to the fact that they are newcomers to the field, and in that sense they are of unknown quality. Which makes more sense, a Honda 90 that has an engine that has proven to be reliable and durable for over 50 years, or something new and unknown?

And, that is ignoring the fact that these originate from nations which don't necessarily hold themselves to the same manufacturing standards as Japan or the West! If one is on a budget, it makes more sense to me to choose a used machine of proven reliability and design.

Raptorlegs-I didn't really mean to skip Kawi. It is just that the only Kawi I would own is really a Suzuki Z400. And, if the LT-160 is made in Korea, that is fine with me as long as Suzuki controls the quality.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:13 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default 1st time buyer

Did I mention mine has Yamaha stamped on the side?

Reconranger, the quads that have parts available have a high rate of satisfaction. Are they perfect? No. But neither are the big 4. The risk you take is that you might have to do some work on it yourself instead of taking it in to the local dealer. If you are not mechanically inclined, then I would buy local.

I didn't previously push my brand because it is relatively unknown. But Eton and Kasea have already established themselves. They are a real force in the mini market.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

I think the Koreans are where the Japanese were 20-30 years ago. Actually well made, but no respect. Samsung is a huge Korean co., that makes everything, so is Hyundai, LG, and their products are respectable.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time buyer

I would say the best ATV is the one that the kid likes and will ride. At that age, color and looks are going to be paramount to their way of thinking. They are not going to care if parts are not available etc. Let them in on the decision process... There is nothing worse than spending $2000 hard earned dollars only to find out that 1) the kid doesn't like it, or 2) he can't ride it because his age does not fall within the manufacturers guidelines.

After spending almost 6 weeks trying to plan a vacation where my 9 year old can ride his Raptor 80 without being hassled or placed at risk of getting a huge fine.. I am about ready to give up and resigned myself to getting him a 50 and putting the 80 in mothballs. I am worn out.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

hey draggin, got an idea for ya. we test drove an MFC 90, clone of the Raptor 80. I don't know if this is your son's problem, but my kids struggled with pulling the shift lever up with their toe on the Raptor. Kids will find any little reason to whine and then work themselves into a frenzy that they don't like it. The MFC has a "Harley davidson" style shifter. You can kick DOWN on the rear of the lever to upshift, and kick the front to shift down. No trying to pull up. It's great. I'm gonna see if they will fit on the 80. Are you interested?

Quick Reply: 1st time buyer