Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

DRR 50 for Stock Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRR 50 for Stock Class

Got my 5 year old a DRR 50 (Adly here in SA) yesterday to race in our local stock class. Please can I have some advise or input on what to do, to get it competitive for the class.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I also need advise on what the best way is to lift the footboards.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

I built my 6 yr old a Arctic Cat 50 to XC race. The AC and the DRR are the same quad. I don't know if you can change the reeds or the cdi. Does the DRR have the rev limiter in the cdi. To tell,when the quad reaches top speed does it sound like it's missing. If it does that is the rev limiter kicking in. Also the AC had a brass washer in between the the variator halves. The variator is the pullys that are turned by the clutch.Remove the spacer and it will allow the belt to ride up higher in the variator, giving you more top end.I believe you can change the reeds and still be legal, But I would ask. To get more groung clearance I went to bigger wheels and tires. The stock wheels off the 90 will bolt right on.I also changed the sprocket. I went to a 35 for XC racing,but most of the guys here run a 29 for MX. Hope this will help If you need any more help feel free to ask. I will be glad to help the little guy all I can.
#838-01-Polini x3 works-Michaels
#838-01 Husqvarna cr50 jr-Michaels
#838-04-Arctic Cat 50-Michaels-Malossi cdi,Malossi reeds,Malossi clutch kit,Rebel Gears,ProDesign tether,Acerbis hand guards,NStlye grips,Douglas wheels,Carlisle Snow Hog tires,Moded air box and rejeted,Removal of oil injector.
04-Suzuki DRZ125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4-mine
Michael always likes to thank his sponsor:www.dirtworksofelkins.com

Old 07-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bluetickracing, thanks for the advise. Concerning the CDI and reeds, you can change them. The basic rules are that you can change and mod parts aslong as it looks as you buy it and no pipes, not more than 50cc, stock carb and no porting. You may also have the compression raised aslong as it runes on 93 pump gas, and also as we are at 4000ft above sea level. It definitely still has the rev limiter, but I have read something of a green wire on the forem. Please give advise on this. Also I would like to now what to do to the air box and if there are any other restictors I have to look at. I won't want to do the wheels yet as he has just turned 5 and upgraded from an LT 50. What I do need to do is raise the footboards as his legs are just reaching them now.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

Mine didn't have the green wire. I ordered a new cdi from Hetrickracing.com. On the airbox, There was a restricter washer in the intake tube right at the end where the rubber hose conects it to the carb. On the airbox I just added another intake tube on top right beside the stock one. I used half inch pvc tube , cut it the same length as the stock tube superglued it pplace and put blue gasket sealer around it and put an elbow over the top just like the stock one. If you take the air box apart, just add another tube just like the stock one. It's real easy to do. Now for the running boards I would maby use a 1x6 decking board or a 2x6 board. Or whatever you would like to just bring it up a little. Also look at my pictures and see what I did to Michaels running boards. I added a L shape piece of superslick plastic which is a quarter of an inch thick,so his feet wouldn't slide off his running boards. The picture of him going thur the field by himself has the best view.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bluetickracing, I have a AC 50 and have removed all the restrictors per your posts and installed a 32 tooth rear sprocket. Awesome performance so far (23MPH). I do have a clutch kit (not installed yet) from Hetrick and plan on getting the CDI as soon as they get them in. No pipe for right now. What color spring should I install from the clutch kit or do I even need the clutch kit with no pipe?

Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

If you think it runs good right now,wait till you get the cdi and clutch kit. I don't know what color spring is in mine.It was put in by his mechanic from his sponsor's shop. I'm running the stock pipe right now. But if I were to get a pipe I would get one from Hetrick.This quad runs good enough with the stock pipe for XC racing.No need to blow $250 if I don't need it. The pipe on these quads are a pretty good pipe. They have a big expansion chamber that works very good.Glad to have helped you.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bluetickracing, I just noticed your pictures on your previous post. Great pictures! Your kid does look like a natural. I had a hard time convincing my 6 year old son that the kid in the pictures was 6. Now he wants to race. I'm ready!! It looks like you have a larger silencer in one of the pictures. What is that? And are those the Arctic Cat 90 wheels and tires? Thanks again for all your help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bluetickracing, do you now if the 90 cdi also has the rev limiter and does it work on the 50. I spoke to my dealer today and he said that he could swap it for me. What has the clutch kit done to your performance and is it worth doing this mod. I have read that most people say that you only need to do it when doing series mods. Is it so? I will have to import some spares and want to now that what i get works.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

That pipe is a KPII pipe. It is a piece of junk. I went back to the stock pipe. That pipe hurt the performance, The stock pipe really made a big difference. The wheels are only 1 size larger then stock, 16x6.5x8 Carlisle Snow Hogs. You can put the 19 inch on But I thought It might make it to Top heavy for a 6 yr old to woods race. He likes to fly.And yes Trickman I like the clutch work, kicks in quicker and more responsive.And the 90 cdi has the revlimiter. The Malossi cdi from Hetrick racing really set this quad on fire. It can rev real good now.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bluetickracing, do you know what size rollers you have in your variator. Hetrick sent me 4.6 grams and the thing runs terrible now. Do you what size the stock ones are?

Quick Reply: DRR 50 for Stock Class