Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help Choosing a Youth ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Choosing a Youth ATV

My kid is 8 years old and I want to get him started on an ATV. I was thinking about getting him a predator 50. My question is do you think this will be to small for him? He is an average size kid. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone's perception of average is different.

A 50 will work for a "typical" 8yo, for a while. If you have other tricycle motors coming up behind, it would be a great starting point for learning and handing down.

If not, or they are far apart (Mine ar 8 years apart...) then you may want to look in to a 70cc to 90cc with some restrictor features to use while they learn.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Today the 50cc class is rapidly going in two different directions.It used to be most 50s were the same size as the 90s with smaller tires and engines but everything else was pretty much the same.Now a lot of companies are going to the "micro mini's" which are much smaller including the frame size,everything is smaller.I would take your child and sit him on some of the different sized bikes.At age 8 unless he's a very small child I would think one of the tiny mini's(such as the predator) may be too small for him.If you have your heart set on a 50 at least compare some of the bigger sized ones for fit to your child.The larger 70-90cc bikes can be slowed way down with the governors on them so don't let the power scare you if your child is too big for the little 50s and you think he may want more speed or power than the 50 will provide.The new 70cc model from e-ton is a good compromise and is legal for children aged 6 and above where technically the kids are supposed to be 12 to ride a 90.

Old 07-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Suzuki LT80 is a good starter too. can be governed early, but lots of room to increase power later. lots of used ones around. lots of parts. proven track record.

Old 07-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

What about Arctic Cat, Yamaha, or Honda's 50 model? Does anybody know how those compare? I'm not sure if my son is ready for a 90

Old 07-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

pretty sure Honda doesn't make a 50 quad. Yamaha's 80 is great, but EVERYONE trashes their 50 for being too slow and can't increase speed later. I think the AC is built by the Chinese for AC, but I'll defer to the experts on that one.

with a name like Bob polaris, what about the Polaris mini??also hear rumors the Polaris is made for them by the Chinese. Nothing wrong with that, other than you're paying for brand-name mark-up.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing the E-ton brand that was not my intention I just wanted to point out that they make a 70cc which is still legal for 6 year old kids which gives you the option of a little more power without jumping right to the 90, and no one else does that I'm aware of.I think the main issue here is the if your son fits the size of the bike you get more so that which one is the best.I think all of the main brands you hear of today are decent qualiity its more a matter of what features you like and how they fit your kid.The 50cc arctic cat is a "full size" 50 as compared to some of the micro mini's.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:20 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

I'm with Yeller. I'd look at a 70cc like the eton if you want to stay within the cpsc guidelines. Be money better spent in the long run unless this one has a younger sibling you want to pass it to in a year or so.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:21 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: oldyeller
Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing the E-ton

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I come back and agree with you and you start giving disclaimers!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I am one of three brothers that grew up with quads so I have some experience with this. I had a honda 70 my borthers both had LT 80's I think the 80 is the better quad you can govern the power down and then let it go when the get some time on it. Don't be scared of getting them a powerful bike, belive me they will be asking you to get a new faster one before you know it. Save your money, and get one that will last them a while.

Quick Reply: Help Choosing a Youth ATV