Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help Choosing a Youth ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Choosing a Youth ATV

Be sure to check the state laws for where you will be riding. There are federal guidelines that dealers impose but don't bite but state laws that can impact your drivers license and insurance. Some states treat giving a under age 12 person access to a ATV the same as giving them the keys to go drive your car. Check to be sure.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I have two girls ages 8 and 9 1/2 and they both ride eton 90's with no problems. I started them last year with Lt50's and they had a great time. Problem was 50's really have no power if you go into a field with big bumps. I wound up pushing quite a bit. This year I upgraded and am very happy I did. My girls ride very responsibly. We've had a great time. Just be aware the 90's have like triple if not more power then the 50's. I wound up selling one of the 50's and kept the other for my 6 yr old. In my opinion 50's are fine to start off with for 5,6, maybe 7 older then that and probably a 70 or 90 would be a better choice.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

hey buddy, a polaris sportsman 90 is the best, they aren't powerful, and average speed.

Old 07-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: oldyeller
Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing the E-ton

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I come back and agree with you and you start giving disclaimers!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Ok your right.An E-ton 70 is "THE" only choice!..LOL

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It did get a great write up in this months atv action.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Before you decide on make, model, size etc... take a good look at how and where the machine is going to be ridden. Check into local state laws, and the laws of any state that you might want to go to and ride at too. It is one thing to have enough property to ride on, but if you have to haul it to a public riding area, their rules may be much different...

In many states, and the list is quickly growing, he can't ride an 80 legally. So do your homework, or you will be in my shoes trying to change the world instead of living in it...

Any national brand machine will be a good starting point. Don't expect him to remain with a 50 for too long, as for teh most part, he will probably outgrow the capabilities of it's design way before his age reaches the magic number that allows him to move up in size/class. Not to worry though, most 50 cc class machines, if they are cared for will pull almost what you paid out when you bought them...

Lastly, don't buy a mini quad without getting one for yourself. The experience is to be shared, and the best way to do that is riding with him, not letting them set off on their own... And get him the best gear money can buy. Helmets, goggles, gloves, over the ankle boots minimum. I'd spring for a chest protector too, and a neck roll if you can find them. If the kid will not wear the gear all the time... sell everything!

Old 07-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listen to draggin-master, he speaks sense, especially the riding gear. cheaping out sure seems silly at the hospital emerg ward.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

Here is an Idea that I did with my 8 year old. We rented a 50 quad for him to ride when we went riding. We did this for a few weekends and then rented a 90 for him to ride. He liked the 90 and we purchased one for him the next weekend and can't keep him off of it. The problem I had and most everyone on here is that he will probably out grow it in a year and then you will have to buy a new one. With the 90 you can always do something to it so he can ride it for a few years. On the other hand you don't want to scare him with something to big as he will not enjoy it. I felt it was better to spend the few hundred dollars on a rental to get him used to riding and then buy him the bigger machine when he was comfortable with it.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

nusun builds ac,polaris,bombardier,dinali,e-ton. they are a partner with honda in japan. youcan purchase the same quad for less $ when you buy a off breed . check out the sundiro 90cc it to is made by nusun but will run $1300.00 insted of $2000.00. parts are easey to get as any bomb,or polaris part will interchange . for a good eval on the sundiro check out the buckaroos forum at atv frontier .com

Old 08-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Big decision on which quad to purchase. I did quiet a bit of homework-- I want a quad that is tough, safe, and has dependability!--- I found it! Kymco puts out a Mongoose 50 (2 stroke) and Mongoose (90). I did look at Honda, Suzuki, and Etons and other big names.

I went with the 90 4 stroke- everyone rides this machine! My husband is 185lbs and it will scream even with him on it. My 6 y.o. learned to ride this with out a problem.

It's automatic (no gears to complicate things), has a kill switch (excellent to pull this when your kid is learning), break lights, head lights, and YES adjustable front and rear shocks- that work! And the quality is very close to Honda if not better in a few areas- I own a Honda too.

My 12 y.o. rides this up and down some nasty trails and catches air over hills. I ride this quad - however it has bottomed out when I catch air over hills - but I'm 110lbs and the springs are set for my 6 y.o. - Yes I'm an almost 40 y.o. mom that rides- but don't let that fool you - I ride rougher/faster than my husband.

So, in final, the 90 Mongoose quad I bought has about 60 very tough miles on it and is doing great- we did bend up the brake skid plate - but that's because of some huge rocks on a few trails-

Good luck quad hunting-[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 03:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

oops - make that atleat 60 hours and just put some more on it today- goes thru mud too!

Quick Reply: Help Choosing a Youth ATV