Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

no spark on a predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark on a predator 90

can anyone help my sons predator has no spark, checked all the electrical all seems fine. we went in a water & mud pit all the bikes did fine but the polaris wouldn't start again after he shut it down can someone help please?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

We had the same thing happen to us we checked everything electrical...even replaced the ignition coil...that wasn't the problem. The stator went so I am willing to take a stab in the dark and tell you, you need a stator!

The 03 has a crappy setup for the stator. I can say when you replce the stator ask the dealer for the 2004 air duct tube as on the 04...it seems to help some.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

did your predator turn over cuz ours seems like it wants to start but then it doesnt quite get there? I hope that its only a starter. its sounds cheaper .

Old 08-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

It's your stator, when it goes out it sometimes will have a weak spark. Mine did, You just can't run those pred 90's
in the mud or water without having problems.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I had the same thing happen on ours. I took the sparkplug boot off. Look inside the boot. There is a slot for a flat screw driver. Remove that piece and clean it out. After that reinstall and make sure the boot seals against the head. This fixed our problem. Today we rode in mud, water, everything for 2 1/2 hours he did great and so did the bike.

Im just wondering about taking the oil injector off. I run premix in my sport and i would like to on the predator 90 but its still under warrantly.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 08-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh thank you so much we just spent 12,000 on 4 new quads and after 2 rides the darn thing wouldnt start . thank you ill check that.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

I thought it was an 03 pred, if it's a brand new 04 I doubt it would be your stator, it probably is something simple like cleaning out your spark plug boot or changing your plug, let us know what you find out, btw, I use to live in Anaheim, lots of great riding spots close to you.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

actually I bought my husbands and my sons used he's is an 03 predator so im gonna check the stator we were actually at "giant rock" when it happened out off of 62 & 247 in landers (joshua tree) it had just rained real hard on friday and we went out on sunday. It was great fun though

Old 08-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Bisho,

Wait till your warranty is up. The 04's have a different setup than the 03...our stator a has a less than crappy cover over it. You lucked out with the 04. Polaris seemed to listen and realize there was an issue w/the stator being exposed on the 03...hence the air duct setup that covers your stator was added to the 04. Just my luck our stator died out on us riding one day causing me misery for about a week of testing every last electrical part of this bike.

You have no worries....I ordered the cover for ours so hopefully ours will be good to go.

Dirtchick,

Our's did want to start but it just couldn't turn all the way. The battery died out a few times while trying. As bisho stated check your boot. One day while riding our's just keep popping off!!! I think that had a little to do with the stator going bad also.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ive got an 04 sportsman 90.. its been through a little mud but not since spring... last week it died at idle, no spark. The impedance test is easy for the stator ignition coil. BLACK TO BLACK/RED 825 OHMS, BLACK TO WHITE/RED 480 OHMS. I have one open coil on my quad, which is under 8 months old... trying to get polaris to pay for the part (129.99+tax). I know the warranty is only six months, but thats rediculous they still have this problem. Ive heard of quite a few polaris kids quads having this problem. Well see what they do for me....

Quick Reply: no spark on a predator 90