Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Type of Oil for Mix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of Oil for Mix?

Old 08-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

I just changed the throttle cable on my son's Predator 90. I have 2 questions:

1. Since I removed the oil injection cable, do I need to plug the oil pump hose. (I figure no cable, no release of oil. True??)
2. Can I use the same oil that I use for mixing fuel for my chainsaw and trimmers as long as I stay with the 32:1 ratio.

I did not see any specs on the Polaris synthetic oil the normally goes in the oil tank.

Thanks in advance,

Old 08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you left your oil tank installed (to possibly reconnect at a later time), then you need to plug hole in the bottom of the tank. If you left the tank to oil pump line installed, then plug the hose with a screw. This will keep stuff out of this line, if you want to re-install at a later time. For the hose that goes from the oil pump to the carb, unplug this line from the carb and plug the hole going into the carb. Some use a steel screw & lock tight (which could vibrate out) but most solder this hole on the carb. It's critical that "NO AIR" goes through this carb line (which is now a hole). For the unplugged line from the carb, also put a screw in it as well. I've heard the some loop the Oil pump lines. This keeps the dirt out of their lines and for the little amount of oil that's in the lines, it will be circulated. Not much, but it will keep the pump lubricated - in case you want to convert back at a later time.

If you are comfortable with pre-mixing and feel you don't want to convert back to factory Oil Injection sytem, then remove the Oil Injection tank and remove the rubber lines coming off the pump. The next time you perform inspection / repairs on its stator system, then remove the white gear from its Oil pump. Or, you can remove the white gear now. What ever works best for you.

If you are using 2-cycle pre-mix oil for your trimmer (16:1 - 24:1) & chainsaw (usually 40:1) and are pleased with the brand of oil you are using in these engines, then continue to use this same 2-stroke pre-mix oil in your Pred-90. Try NOT to use a pre-mix oil that contains low ash. I've read many times that low ash oil in 2 stroke engines is harmfull "in the long run". NO/Low ash is better on our environment but lack of ash creates more wear / possible heat in the smaller 2 stroke engines. Don't use Injection Oil at 32:1 in your gas tank.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-28-2004, 05:50 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: spike99
Try NOT to use a pre-mix oil that contains low ash. I've read many times that low ash oil in 2 stroke engines is harmfull "in the long run". NO/Low ash is better on our environment but lack of ash creates more wear / possible heat in the smaller 2 stroke engines. Don't use Injection Oil at 32:1 in your gas tank.

Hope this helps...

Spike, you're scaring me! I thought you either had no ash or low ash? Didn't think there was another option but I may be wrong. Been running Lucas semi-synthetic high-temp low ash at 40:1 in my quad! Now you got me scratching my head.

I ran 40:1 in my last trimmer and it still ran like new after 8 years. But a bearing welded itself solid in the shaft so I chunked it.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Spike,
I don't quite understand. I did not disconnect any hoses from the oil pump. It is also still connected to the carb. For now I would like to leave the injection system attached. I only removed the oil/throttle cable. I guess you are telling me to remove the oil line and plug it some how. As far as the carb, I didn't remove the line from the tank their either. I had a problem determining which hose it was. I guess I thought that if I left the hosing in tact that it would still be sealed? Not a good idea?

Old 08-28-2004, 06:10 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dogg, the oil pump is driven by a gear behind the stator. You're still pumping. You need to remove it before going to premix. The other option would be to redirect the oil flow back to the tank.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

two stroke mixing oil?

Old 08-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Raptorlegs,
I just went to the local Autozone and found some vaccum caps. I will use these for the oil tube and see if any of the variable sizes fit the carb.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

This is what I did. I unhooked the cable, Removed the oil tank. Then I took tho oil tube from the oil tank and slpiced it right back into the oil line that goes to the carb. This way the oil just makes a circle right back into the oil pump. Then I pluged the carb with a little hose and a screw. Then if you want to go back to it every thing is already there.Now on the oil. I would only run a very good 2-stroke oil. I run Maxima oils only. Maxima super M or 927. Some run silkoline,Amsoil, or Klotz. Just make it a good oil,this is the life of the engine. I run it 40:1.I tried 32:1 but it seemed to foul plugs.

#838-01 Polini x3w-Michaels
#838-01 Husqvarna-Michaels
#838-04 Arctic Cat 50-Michaels-Airsal head,Malossi reed,Malossi cdi,Malossi clutch kit,ProDesign kill switch,Acerbis hand guards,Rebel Gears,Douglas Alum wheels,Snow Hog tires,Twin Air filter,Modded air boxand rejetted.
04 Suzuki DRZ 125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4-mine

2004 PKM Promotions XC champion (4-6) 50 cc open quad

"Keep it pinned to win"
" Don't ride faster then your Angel can fly"

Special thanks to Michaels sponsor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]irt work cycles and ATV's