Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Why kids should wear protective gear!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why kids should wear protective gear!

My little guy wanted to make some practice laps on his track here on our property. As I was getting his quad ready, he came out fully dressed. Helmet,neck brace,jearsey, rideing pants, goggles,gloves,kidney belt,race boots,but no chest protector. I told him to go get it on.But dad he said " I never wreck". Well he put it on and thank the good Lord he had it on.
Now this kid rides like a Pro. He has raced 22 races this summer. 20 XC races and 2 MX . He has 21 wins and 1 2nd place finish this summer. And he has never wrecked in any of them. As he was makeing some laps on his track. Which he has made over a thousand times before, he came slideing into a horseshoe off camber turn and hit a boulder with his right front tire and fliped him off and his mini quad rolled right over top of him,pushing him face down in the dirt. I just about died in horror. I mean a nasty crash. When I got to him he was smileing and said"Boy that was my best one yet. He jumped right back on and away he went. Now go figure.

So folks If were gonna let the little ones play on these quads. Spend the extra money and buy them the best you can. And make them wear it. Yes It may be an extra $600 . But you can never buy a new child.

------------------------------------
#838-01 Polini x3 works-Michaels
#838-01 Husqvarna cr 50 jr-Michaels
#838-04 Arctic Cat 50-Michaels-Airsal head,Malossi reeds,Malossi cdi,Malossi clutch kit,Acerbis hand guards, Douglas wheels Snowhog tires,Rebel Gears, Pro Design kill switch,rejetted and Modded airbox.
02 Yamaha Big bear 400 4x4-mine
04 Suzuki DRZ 125 L-sons

2004 PKM Promotions XC Champion (4-6) 50 cc quads

Old 09-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Watching kids get into it on power toys is like 99% pride and 1% pure horror. I salute your commitment to proper gear and being available to assist. Not everyone does that.
The legacy you are building on now may someday save your grandchildren when its your sons turn.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

I need to go buy my son a chest protector. Hey who dat I about fell outta my chair when I saw your name. That is some funny shat.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Heck yeah I agree!!! My kids don't ride w/o all the proper gear!!! It's saved thier butts more than once especially my oldest. We were going to a race on his Bd this year & for his Bd he got $$ from his grandparents & wasn't happy when I told him to put it towards a GOOD helmet instead of the crappy Vega he was wearing w/ a screwed up chin strap!! Well low & behold the next day @ the race in his main him & a kid were fighting for the lead & got tires hooked & my son went airborne [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] that was also horrifying I bet they were rolling along about 40 mph or so!!!! He landed flat on his back(chest protector) & head( that pretty new helmet) he was shaken up but walked away THANK GOD!!

Old 09-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

This is a good thread because I am also very passionate about protective gear, my kids use to try to take short cuts, like forgetting gloves or chest protector, but I never let them get away with it and now they don't even try, they just know. Get it all on then ride!

Old 09-23-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just like to congradulate you on sticking to your princepals !!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

A chest protector is something a lot of people seem to overlook.I'm glad to see a lot of people realizing they are almost as important as a helmet.In our two years of racing I've seen a lot of adults including myself learn the hard way just how important they are after hitting the handlebars during a wipeout.My son wears his riding gear like a uniform and is very proud of it.He wouldn't think of riding without it even if I would let him.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Just a little added note. I see this alot at the tracks. Gear that doesn't fit right. Alot of Folks try to cut corners and buy it to big. When you buy a helmet for the little ones, it should fit snug. If it doesen't make ther cheeks look like a chipmunk it isn't doing any good. When you get a chest protector. Buy one that isn't to floppy on them. Try to get one that covers all the way down the back. It should end just above their pants. Plus people over look the neck. A neck brace is a nice thing to have also. Plus a kidney belt is extra protection. I don't want to come on like I know it all. It's just I'm a safety freek. I believe you can't over do it when it comes to our children.Let them have fun but they can do it in a safe manner.And the #1 rule. NEVER let them ride alone. Heck ride with them it's quality time spent with the kids.

Ride hard but ride smart!

Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

I would just like to praise you for making your kids wear all the right gear it is so important

Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

proper gear and supervision, way to go glad he's ok. Obviously you've spent the time to educate him, that will pay off later in life.

Quick Reply: Why kids should wear protective gear!