Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

OH NOOOOO

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004 | 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default OH NOOOOO

um, so what's wrong with the Yamaha 80. shaft drive=no maitenance. 3-spd. electric start. just as reliable as the Honda, roughly same price. nicer looks.

I know, it's cuz the recommendation came from a guy named Ned Flanders, isn't it??

Old 10-26-2004 | 04:51 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Default OH NOOOOO

I'm just not real enthusiastic about the front suspension on the Yamaha. But a lot of people seem to be happy with theirs. Each to his own.

Old 10-26-2004 | 05:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default OH NOOOOO

Hard too beat a 4 stroke engine, auto clutch, and a shaft drive for a kids atv. BUT, since he is 8, he could grow a foot in the next couple of years and need another atv. I would stash the cash for a new TRX (or whatever) back towards a larger atv when he is ready for it.
Gary

Old 10-27-2004 | 08:28 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default OH NOOOOO

Don't forget electric start on your list.... The Yamaha 80 is a solid machine built for the masses to last through several lifetimes... it is NOT a racer. Too often some of us judge worth by speed... I just want to you to know that there are other measurements just as important. Reliability, parts availability, reparability, toughness.. they are all important too. There are other machines designed for racing that will go faster, jump higher etc, but that does not necessarily make them any better.... It all depends on what you plan on doing with it, and how and where your family rides.

I certainly would not criticize the Yamaha 80, as they seem to sell just about every one they make and it is hard to get them locally, and at least in our case, it is a reliability tank that can take a lot of punishment... but again it depends on which measurement scale you are using.
If it can stand up to my 300 pounds putting around on some pretty steep hills, it can take just about anything my 9 year old can throw at it.