Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Arctic Cat 90 Carb Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 90 Carb Problems?

I started this thread on the Arctic Cat page originally....it was suggested I post it here as well:

I bought the kids a new Arctic Cat 90 4 stroke. While at the dealer, we rode it around and it ran great. The next day we went out to ride and it wouldn't start. I returned it to the dealer and after two weeks of waiting, they tell me it is fixed. Arctic Cat had them send the carburator in for some "known" problem. Went to pick it up yesterday and it started very poorly. Cranked a long time before it fired. I expressed my concern as it had been in their heated shop, but they told me I had to take it home and try it. We take it home for a ride and every time you release the throttle and stop the machine...it dies. It starts right back up but the idle speed seems eratic. I'm guessing the carb and or electronic choke is still screwed up. I returned it to the dealer today, but I don't have high expectations.

What do you all think? Is it a lemon? Do I demand a refund or is it fixable? If so what do you think is the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

You don't have anything to worry about with a good 6 months warrenty. Take it back and demand it get's fixed now. We have an 04 AC 50/70. It's been a great machine. With over 22 races this season with nothing breaking.We did blow a top end but this was our fault,should have re ringed it after 14 races and a plenty of hours in practice and jumping.These are one tuff little quad. So don't get to down about it. They will fix it. It's something simple and silly. But this doesn't go over with the little one who has nothing to ride. You come to the right place here for advice. These folks in here are very wise to the mini quad stuff. You will here from some of the best engine builders in the USA. They have tought me alot of stuff. Let us know what the problem was when you do get it fixed.I would guess it's in the electric choke. It could be something as simple as a loose conector on the carb.

#838 01 Polini x3w-Michaels
#838 01 Husqvarna cr50 jr-Michaels
#838 04 Arctic Cat 70-Michaels- Airsal 70 head,Hetrick power up kit C, Malossi cdi.Malossi reed and cage,Malossi clutch kit,19" Holeshots on Douglas wheels on front,18" Snowhogs on Douglas wheels on rear, ProDesign killswitch,Rebel Sprockets,Acerbis hand guards,and more .
04 Suzuki DRZ125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4-mine

2004 PKM Promotions XC Champion (4-6) 50cc quad
Michael Mussi Jr #838

"Don't ride faster then your Angel can fly"
"Keep it pinned to win"

Old 11-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Well, picked it back up today. The dealer claims they only adjusted the carb settings a little. The machine starts well and it seems the electronic choke is working properly at start-up. It does eventually idle down, however it never seems to settle at any given idle speed. It fluctuates quite a bit. First indications are that it tends to idle too fast most of the time.

Is this normal for these little engines and carbs or is yet another trip back to the dealer in store? Should I just tinker with the idle adjustment screw?

Please help....frustration is setting in bad here!!! Maybe I should've just spent less on an import.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a '03 Pred-90 and its 2 stroke engine holds an "even idle" on a warm engine. It's cold blooded and loves the manual choke when its cold. Many 2 strokes are like that. If we let it idle for 3+ minutes, it idles down almost near the point of stalling. Probably from carbon build up. A few snappy revs and its idles levels off again. But overall, our idle is even in many different weather conditions.

Officially.... If your unit is under warranty, you shouldn't play with any adjustments on its carb. User tampering warranty thing.

If you do turn a screw 1/8th in one direction and it doesn't change the behavier of its idle, turn the screw 1/8 back. Sometimes, you have to use 1/4 measurements to notice a change. Always remember what direction & amount you turn a carb screw, and don't be destracted by phone calls or other things. When adjusting a carb, always do it with a warm engine first. That will set its baseline for cold weather tweaking.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-07-2004, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

My daughter has a 2005 Arctic Cat 90 and it seems to be hard starting after sitting over night. It seems like I have to crank on it a bit longer than I should. It seems to start fine after that. I have a service manual on order and will probably try to fine tune it a little when I have the manual here so I understand the auto choke a bit better.

Doug

Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

It fired up quickly and ran well this morning. Choke kicked in and it idled down in about 3 minutes or so. Idle speed still seemed high, though. We rode it around for a half hour or so and brought it back in and adjusted the idle screw. Ended up backing it out almost a quarter turn. It seems much better there. Immediately after releasing the throttle from running it, it does seem to idle much slower for just a few seconds, then it returns to what I would call "normal".

When you get that service manual I'd be interested in hearing what it says about the carb adjustments and set up.

So for right now, we're gonna run the little bugger and have fun with it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

It should be here any day. I will let you know when it gets here.

Doug

Old 11-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well the service manual came today. The carb section is real weak and has little to offer when it comes to the choke and how it operates. I guess I will be on my own when it comes to figuring it out. I wish I had more help to offer.

Doug

Old 11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

Is that a knock off honda motor? If it is you can get a Clymers manual for a Honda and it should be very helpful when having to work on it.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Returned the lemon AC 90 to the dealer today and got my money back!!!! It never would stay running and started to die about a minute after initially starting it. Sometimes it would start ok and seem just fine, but today it wouldn't start again. So after quite a "heated" conversation with the dealer, he bought it back. I still think its a carburator/electronic choke issue. I guess they are just not qualified to work on what they sell.

With all of that said, its time to buy something else as my boys are quite disappointed now.

Does anybody know who makes the AC 90 4 stroke? I want to steer clear of this machine again.

To those of you who have these machines already, I wish you good luck. Perhaps I just got a bad one. It happens, but it doesn't always have to happen to me!!!!

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat 90 Carb Problems?