Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Decision, Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision, Decisions...

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Dragginbutt, you might be on to something, I mean it at least makes sense. The big 4 realize that they have priced them selves out of the market for the entry level participant's. I mean no one will argue that this is a low budget sport even if you buy used quad's/bike's, still not cheap. So you find a country that can produce a low budget copy of your product, help them get started. You know let them have a few blueprint's to a couple of older model's. There is no one who can deny a honda resemblance in that 90-110cc quad motor from china. That way as you say the seed has been planted, and this is the country of disposable everything. Get them hooked on a inferior product and later sell them a better version and the plan has come full circle.

Up until a few years ago, China had a ban on building engines greater than 125cc's. This is the reason they have been focused on the the youth market. The ban has been lifted and now you are seeing larger engines being introduced. I've seen an 800cc utility machine, 650cc ute atv and a 282cc 300ex clone. The big dogs could very well be facing some serious competition in the near future. Where China has failed is they haven't developed and backed a "strong" brand name.

Interesting times in the atv world! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if it is true that several major brands are in fact partnered with them, you have to think they are positioned to take advantage of the market when and if it ever develops. Until that time though, you have to believe the market is intended for the US... The only reason that they invested in China has got to be cheaper labor costs.

I can also understand the bigger engine craze. As it seems to be the latest marketing trend... my stick is bigger syndrome... What I don't fully understand is the undercutting of their own cash cow. Let's face it, if it were not for the current ATV popularity, a couple of the big boys would have had to close their doors long ago. The motorcycle market has been soft in comparison.

If they ever manage to get the same quality in materials, and a dealer network in place.. then it will be Katie bar the door. For right now though, I do not put them in the same quality standards category as the major manufacturers. That is based on fit and finish opinions, and not from personal experience, so your mileage on that may vary.

This is a very interesting subject that I do not think we have seen all the data on yet... it will be interesting to see how this all develops...

Old 11-16-2004, 11:07 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

DB, China is making OEM parts for Yamaha, Honda and Polaris, that I know of. How do you figure the quality of materials isn't there? They are very capable of competing if someone will step up back it. Problem is people buy the off-brand based on price. If they cut corners, it's consumer driven.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Dragginbutt, you might be on to something, I mean it at least makes sense. The big 4 realize that they have priced them selves out of the market for the entry level participant's. I mean no one will argue that this is a low budget sport even if you buy used quad's/bike's, still not cheap. So you find a country that can produce a low budget copy of your product, help them get started. You know let them have a few blueprint's to a couple of older model's. There is no one who can deny a honda resemblance in that 90-110cc quad motor from china. That way as you say the seed has been planted, and this is the country of disposable everything. Get them hooked on a inferior product and later sell them a better version and the plan has come full circle.

Up until a few years ago, China had a ban on building engines greater than 125cc's. This is the reason they have been focused on the the youth market. The ban has been lifted and now you are seeing larger engines being introduced. I've seen an 800cc utility machine, 650cc ute atv and a 282cc 300ex clone. The big dogs could very well be facing some serious competition in the near future. Where China has failed is they haven't developed and backed a "strong" brand name.

Interesting times in the atv world! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thank's for the info. Do you know who enforced the ban on larger engines?? And why?? Thank's

Old 11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Government. Don't remember why. Been a few years since I read it.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Government. Don't remember why. Been a few years since I read it.
I am assuming Chinese Govt.??

Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Yes.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Raptorlegs,
That is interesting, I will have to think about that a while. I still don't think that the chinese will ever compete with the top of the line Quad's. My experience is with a yamoto 150, and it is a great entry level quad but that is it. The suspension is dismal at best especially the rear. They may compete within their limit's but builing a 660 raptor killer is a few decades away, dont you think?

Old 11-16-2004, 10:48 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

All I know is 3 or 4 years ago, you couldn't get a 250 off-brand. Now they are everywhere. Just a matter of time. But I think competition is a good thing. I have no loyalty to the big dogs.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Dinli is a Tiawan company and they will blow the lid off this pressure pot in a few months. Remember about a year ago they bought the rights to all Cannondales technology? Don't look now but here it comes. Three new "Big Bad race bikes are coming"

Quick Reply: Decision, Decisions...