Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

small 80 big kid

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small 80 big kid

i am 5, 9 140lbs and my cousin (who is 12 ) and i bought a used lt80. Should i buy any certain parts for the quad so i can fit more comfortably and have a sportier quad, while keeping it safe for my cuz?

Old 11-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default small 80 big kid

@ 5'9 " & 140Lbs your really (size wise) too big for an LT80. Sure... you can ride it, but your really too big for it. You didn't say how tall or heavy your "Cuz" is? The only item that really adds room to the LT80 for maneuverability is "larger handlebars" and thats a "minimal" fix. The quad is pretty small in size. Adding larger wheels/tires is not going to gain you any "real" room. If your a novice @ riding, it's a starting point, but if your skills are decent, or increase you will (quickly) out grow it in a heartbeart... At that size you need something larger...

Rude Dog

Old 11-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default small 80 big kid

do you have any suggestions on quads i should look into?

Old 11-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default small 80 big kid

Well, you didn't say how old you were.... I won't bore you with the stuff about the CPSC guidlines, and local laws.. but i hope you take a few minutes to consider them. I agree you are pretty large for an 80... and this is one of the reasons many of us feel that the guidlines need a mechanicm built in to handle situations just like this. I think however that even so, you can find it will be a lot of fun any way. Any way, good luck and welcome to a fun sport,,,

Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default small 80 big kid

im 17 in 11 grade

Old 11-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Range Rover
Default small 80 big kid

Careful Fokke. Me and my mates used my kids 2 LT80's a coupd, of weeks agon and I'm now looking to fis the suspension which has lost almost all of its travel. Wrecked shockers and maybe springs methinks! far easier to buy yourself a larger quad in the first place, which I am no doing. The little LT80's are great but they are meant for kids and although they are strong you can break them as I found out.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default small 80 big kid

If your over 16(which you are) you should legally be able to ride any quad you want.What sort of riding do you do mud or trail etc?This will determine whether you would be best with a sport quad or a utility style.Also I'm assuming you don't have too much experience riding so you should probably start off with something in the 250-350cc class.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default small 80 big kid

Weighing in at 140, you are probably maxing the weight allowance... Don't try two up, or you will definately run the risk of killing the suspension.
You should be able to find a lot of modification suggestions on this website in many of the threads. Not sure you are going to get the sort of performance gains you are looking for.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default small 80 big kid

thanks for all the info guys

do u have any suggetsions for an atv that would be fairly cheap used?
as u know i have an lt80 and mostly ride trails but also have a large field to ride in

Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default small 80 big kid

For cheap, I can't think of anything better than a blaster. They are cheap new, so their used prices are even better. If you go with an older one with Drum brakes, they will be even cheaper, since most people have opted for the later models with disc brakes, and you can't give the old ones away now. If you don't mind the thought of drum brakes, you might be able to find some bargains. Plus, there are tons of hop up kits available for you to upgrade it as your abilities improve... I've seen them go for as little as $200 to $300. Granted, the plastic was beat up, but they ran.

Also, look at the chinese market.. their new prices are sometimes better than used major brands... but be warned... be prepared to become mechanically inclined... the support infrastructure is not in place, so you may need to craft your own parts if you should break something. I feel pretty confident you can get parts with the global economy that the Internet has introduced, but be warned that you can't always drive down to the dealer to get something simple...

I'd recommend you look into joining a riding club in your area if there is one. You might find some bargains in some guy's garage that they will be willing to get rid of cheap to a fellow club member just to make more space in their garage... especially get to know people that are upgrading their mounts... They usually sell their old machines themselves rather than trading them in at the dealer, and you can get a sense of the machine's history. Many like myself, have several machines gathering dust in their garage for the one time that someone wants to go riding with them, but their machine is laid up for repairs or something... so they are out there.... Time to start sweet talking your new found friends.