Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

I thought about it but honestly, they will be happy with whatever they get. I just want a quad that is reliable, safe, and easy to maintain.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another idea...

Tell us what specific brands you are "stuck on" in a NEW post (one of those brand x vrs brand y posts). I'm sure many will give you their experienced pros and cons with each brand. Based on your unique driving coditions, you can then rate each pros / cons (of each brand) and then decide from there. To ensure you get good sampling of feedback, don't tell us your unique riding condions. re: sand, bush, wather, rough jumps, etc. This info will be your filtering criteria.

Hope this idea helps as well....

Old 12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I think a lot is going to depend on how and where they ride... If they want to go racing someday....2 stroke all the way. If they are going to putt around all day.. do some trail riding etc.. then it may lean the other way. I am pretty old school.. and don't trust the oil injection one bit. There is no way that it can be consistent in an environment where you are on and off the gas so much. One reason you see them always being rebuilt... but I admit it is pretty easy with a two stroke to rebuild one. When I raced as a kid, I'd re-ring every 4 races... mixed my own oil too.

When we bought my son a blaster, before I took it home, it was converted to premix... I just feel I can control the mix better that way. If you ride in situations where torque will be needed versus speed.. then the 4 strokes have a leg up on a two stroke. Just remember, when a two stroke is being ridden, and you get off the gas... there is going to be a small period of time where the motor is getting NO oil... it all adds up to increased and accelerated wear...

Old 12-06-2004, 01:24 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I think a lot is going to depend on how and where they ride... I they want to go racing someday....2 stroke all the way. If they are going to putt around all day.. do some trail riding etc.. then it may lean the other way....

Probably right DB. Most Hard packed trails don't require the same power as mud, sand or other loose steep inclines. You should always consider the type of terrain and traits of the atv.

I would not recommend a 4-stroke for dunes (but I wouldn't recommend a stock mini period!). I would not recommend a 2-stroke cvt for mud or water crossings.

All I can add is I thought I bought enough machine that power would not be an issue and yet I was forced to modify it. It would have been a nightmare for me if I'd bought a thumper. I imagine I would have been forced to sell it and take the hit.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I think a lot is going to depend on how and where they ride... If they want to go racing someday....2 stroke all the way. If they are going to putt around all day.. do some trail riding etc.. then it may lean the other way. I am pretty old school.. and don't trust the oil injection one bit. There is no way that it can be consistent in an environment where you are on and off the gas so much. One reason you see them always being rebuilt... but I admit it is pretty easy with a two stroke to rebuild one. When I raced as a kid, I'd re-ring every 4 races... mixed my own oil too.

When we bought my son a blaster, before I took it home, it was converted to premix... I just feel I can control the mix better that way. If you ride in situations where torque will be needed versus speed.. then the 4 strokes have a leg up on a two stroke. Just remember, when a two stroke is being ridden, and you get off the gas... there is going to be a small period of time where the motor is getting NO oil... it all adds up to increased and accelerated wear...
I disagree with some of your two stroke observations,specifically that when you get off the gas the engine is without oil for a brief period and that because the oil injection is inconsistent you are always seeing the two strokers being rebuilt.On our Viper the oil is injected right into the side of the carburetor so anytime the engine is getting gas it is getting oil.Even when you let off the throttle completely the engine is still recieving some gas so it would still be getting oil.Your right about the oil injection being a little inconsistant because if you nail it wide open it would take a second for the increased amount of oil from the pump to mix into the gas in the carburetor,however once you let off then you will be still recieving a rich oil to gas mixture until that small amount of fuel is burnt up.Even with these inconsistentcies I think the main reason the two strokes need more frequent rebuilds is that they have a power stroke every revolution of the crankshaft.Every time you have a powerstroke you will have wear on the thrust side of the piston.Obviously the 4 strokes only have a powerstroke every second revolution of the crank so there is reduced wear because of this fact and also that some oil from the crankcase is splashed up onto the cylinder walls to provide lots of lubrication.Our oil injection has been very reliable.It sips oil, probably get 5-6 tank fulls of gas to a tank of oil.We have never fouled a spark plug in two years.Also our compression has stayed very close to the readings it had when it was new so there has been very little piston wear so far.We do use a good synthetic oil made for oil injection(Motul 600).I do like the 4 strokes in the bigger sized bikes but there is no question the two stroke is more powerful in a comparable sized engine.So when the engine is small like a 50 or a 90 I still prefer the 2 stroke.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

oldyeller i know your a eton fan but eton is going to 4stroke eng. in 2006.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I'd probably go with the 4 strokers since 2 strokers will be gone soon. Put a pipe and rejet the carb and you can get a 4 stroke haulin some butt. Just don't let the kids do the maintenance on it, they tend to forget, haha. Sucks adjustin the valves every weekend, ahahah.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Say what? I have owned 4 stroke machines for many years... I have to tell you that 1) I have never rebuilt a motor... 2) Never adjusted the valves, although I did have the dealer check them one time after break-in on one of my bikes once (No adjustments needed) and trust me.. if there is a maximum rev limit on any of these engines, I have reached it many times.... and no problems...... Granted, they were not race machines, but my Raptor 660 is pretty much in line with the rest of them... No worries.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: KVRMUDDRUNNER
Put a pipe and rejet the carb and you can get a 4 stroke haulin some butt.

Not the same.

Like I said, bolt-ons (such as a pipe) have a greater impact on a 2 stroke's power.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Agreed, pipes and air filters will give you a slight boost.. but to really bring an old design 4 stroke to life, you have to tear into the cam and valve springs and piston compression to really make one wail... and that costs a bunch more than a pipe on a 2 stroke. But oh do the sound sweeet when you do the work... Nothing like a strong thumper eh? Only problem is that once you do all that work, you are really building a bomb.... and they tend to self destruct if you go to far or don't know what you are doing. Best leave it up to pros like Mickey Dunlap...

Quick Reply: 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke