Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids on ATV's size wise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids on ATV's size wise

Hi everybody

I am getting concerned about the strictness of the Laws re: kids on bikes. what have you heard? My son is 9yo so technically he should only ride a certain size. I have only "heard" this is enforceable. I am trying to do some research on it. The thing is he is so tall anything smaller than a 90 or 110 and it WOULD be dangerous. It would be like me trail riding a 150cc. I am 6'2" 225lbs, just doesnt work.

Man, its frusterating that so few have screwed it up for so many.

Thanks for letting me vent

Rob B. Sebastopol CA

Old 01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some places have very strict young rider age to engine cc laws. Other places don't. In my area, the local cops focus more on kid body size to machine fit. To them, rider control and top weight relationship is most critical. Each place is different.

You are right about a few things. Too much weight on a mini and the unit becomes too top end heavy. Thus making it very dangerious. Having too small of a kid on an ATV and they couldn't steer it is also dangerious. Especially when a front wheel drops in a hole and yanks on their young arms.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

I'm in California also and have the same silly rules/laws for kids on atv's. Yeah there are places, like Glamis, where enforcement is more strict. But for the most part the rangers and/or police will not hassle you or your kids as long as you are all wearing proper safety gear and riding sensibly in approved areas.

On another track, have you looked into putting him on a full size 50? That may be an option if higher cc bikes are just to much for him but his body is to much for a mini.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

We have a couple of tall kids as well. We put the 8 and 10 year olds on Kazuma 110s. They fit nicely. The 13 year old is on a 250 ex (he has 3 years of riding experience and is taller than me). The five year old is just starting to ride the trx 90 after riding an atc 70. We kept him in 2nd gear, but the little booger figured out how to shift, so I guess the throttle limiting screw needs to go in.

The most important thing to our minds was riding style, riding ability, and fit on the machine.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,
That helps a bunch, Think I'll go with a 110 for him, but I will check out the full size 50, what is the brand on that one?

Old 01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

My son is only 8 years old, and he rides a Yamoto 150 quad. He has alot of repsect for the bike, and handles it well. It depends alot on the rider. My 5 year old would go crazy on anything too big, and get hurt bad.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

IMO id just move to alaska, they dont have like any ATV restrictions, its great. thats what im doing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] melinda rae

Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: notagain
Hi everybodyI am getting concerned about the strictness of the Laws re: kids on bikes. what have you heard? My son is 9yo so technically he should only ride a certain size. I have only "heard" this is enforceable. I am trying to do some research on it. The thing is he is so tall anything smaller than a 90 or 110 and it WOULD be dangerous. It would be like me trail riding a 150cc. I am 6'2" 225lbs, just doesnt work. Man, its frusterating that so few have screwed it up for so many.Thanks for letting me ventRob B. Sebastopol CA
Rob - not everyone agrees with putting youth on over 90cc quads. I'm one of them. And unfortunetly there is no intelligence or accuracy test to post on these forums. You will read posts on this topic from seemingly responsible adults that because they have yet to have a serious accident think the rules are to to strict and /or should be ignored. But there are others who would plead for you seriously reconsider putting children on adult sized quads. Every ATV safety study has come out in strong opposition to children under 16 being on over 90cc quads.

Yes - many kids do safely ride larger ATV's and a great majority are well supervised and equiped with the best safety gear. But if you want to know both sides of the issue - there is a pretty good representation of the anti-youth on ATV argument here - http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...23vehicle.html If you are like me you appreciate all the information so you can choose what is best for your children.

"Trauma experts at Children's Hospital will issue a formal plea today to parents of children under 16: Don't let your kids ride all-terrain vehicles. Not under any circumstance. They shouldn't ride even if the bike's engine is a small 90 cubic centimeters, even if they take safety courses, even if they wear helmets and other protective equipment. And they shouldn't ride even if a trained adult is supervising alongside. "

I work for the DNR as a ATV safety instructor and spend many hours each month getting youth 12-15 certified to ride over 90cc quads. Unfortunetly there have been 2 fatatlities and many injuries of certified youth just in my own area. I wish I had an answer to the problem but it appears that there may not be one. The weight, speed and power of the larger machines just seems to be to much for many youth - certified or not.

Try and become as informed as you can before making a decision. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a hard time believing a 14 or 15 yr old shudn't ride a 150.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hi WhoDatInDaMud,

thanks for the great insight, I do want as much info as I can get. My son just tonight asked me to get him one with a remote kill switch, he himself is very safety oriented. I'm OK keeping it to a 90cc. And my point is also that when you read all the details of these accidents, it involves someone (kid or adult) doing something STUPID, crossing a road without looking, too fast in a park on a blind curve, a 10yo riding a 500cc machine or even bigger, not wearing full saftey gear. I dont think I have read an accident report that didnt involve a really dumb move. Now, yes you cant watch your kids all the time 100%, and yes kids do dumb things, I am completely amazed I am still alive after my teens. So in my opinion, and you do have alot more experience than me, but the folks that got hurt certainly had an opportunity to see if coming and choose to ignore the consequences. If they (the kids) werent taught the consequences then thats the parents fault and they should be punished. Itas not just the cc's that matter it all needs to be taken into consideration, size weight etc, there is not one formula. I could get him a 150cc and just choke it WAY down. I want him riding a machine that he is comfortable, capable and confident on.
I have a 05 BF 650 and if my kid ever rides it alone I fully expect to be put in jail on child endangerment charges. We have got to stop letting the screw ups run the show. I refuse to be governed by the weakest link.

and belive it or not I am not disagreeing with you!!

Quick Reply: Kids on ATV's size wise