Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids on ATV's size wise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids on ATV's size wise

Ahh I see says the legally blind man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

One HUGE issue in regards to supporting the free ATV Safety Institute classes are that MOST of the sales personel that sell ORVs at the dealership could care less about informing their new customer that just spent 6k on a new ATV,about the 100 dollar incentive to even take the free safety course from a participating manufacture.

I visit every dealership within 40 miles of my home about once a month,and allmost allways,I still see the same stack of my bussiness cards that I left with them the month before..The only thing most sales guys give a damn about is how much commission they will make with the sale,and they dont make a penny to give you accurate info about ATV safety classes,so most dont even bring the classes up or even speak of an incentive to participate in one.

Perhaps its time that the manufactures also provide some sort of incentive to the salesman that provides his customers information about these safety classes?If the customer takes the safety course,give the salesman a 20 dollar spiff for each customer that participates in a class?

Old 02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

When I picked up my machine the dealer had a form that I had to initial and sign regarding that I was informed about being eligeable for a free ATV riding course. Also on the form there were boxes I had to initial that read like no one under 16 allowed on my machine, no riding on roads, no riding double....

Old 02-09-2005, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

DK,
the form you filled out should have been presented to you in a fashion that would PROMOTE you to take the free safety course..Instead,MOST dealerships QUICKLY tell you to 'sign here'somebody from the ATV SAFETY INSTITUTE might call you in a few weeks?

A GOOD dealership will also explain this safety course in DETAIL,explain to you that it is FREE and you will receive a 100 dollar incentive if you and age elgeable members participate in it.They should also include the local instructors bussiness card and have the buying customer call him/her to set up a class date..Allmost NONE of the dealers do this.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I don't see this as a us versus them deal... I have no problem with the hardware being sold... what I question is the decision to not voluntarily follow the CPSC guidelines when the machines are being sold. Let's face it, the guy at Pep boys or at the pawn shop selling these ATV's has not got a clue regarding safety regulations or warnings. They could care less other than the fact that they are moving product, and increasing the cash flow through their doors.

It isn't an issue concerning the safety course either... the course is available to anyone who wishes to take it. The incentive is just fluff. The real problem is that in many parts of the country like VIRGINIA, the training program is there in name only. Even if you want to take the course, the waiting list is enormous. 4.5 years and counting.... In Northern VA, there are no instructors. They have a guy in MD doing courses, but only two times a year... Considering the many thousand ATV's sold in this area in that time frame, 2 classes a year just doesn't cut it. That is why I say if the training course becomes mandatory, then the states, or cognizant authority must provide funding to support the program. Otherwise the whole deal is worthless.

Honda has taken the first step in creation of it's own training centers. It is a start...

I do feel however, that at some point in time, the gray market should be held accountable.... and I'd like to see them get on the bandwagon and take basic steps to protect our children from uneducated parental decisions... We need their help to get those injury stats down...

Muddy, I wish you lived in VA.. I would introduce you to a dealer who is the exception. His sales staff make sure you are well informed of the safety issues prior to talking numbers. They have training videos going all the time, and recommend parents view them prior to making any sort of decision. They also make available brochures that help a parent guage their child's suitablilty for operating an ATV... and I guarantee, they will not sell a machine to a child that does not fall within the CPSC guidelines. In short, they don'[t sugar coat the issues just so they can make a buck.

The owner just does not want to wake up some morning and read about a child getting hurt or worse and know his shop sold the bike.... I call that integrity. He also has a once a month program for novice riders out back behind his shop that goes through the riding basics, much in line with a CPSC course... and makes it available for free. Even to people who bought their machines elsewhere... I know this because I assist this effort.... (voluntarily)

Some riding clubs have in the past, offered novice training too... if they are not, they should be...

All this points back to getting involved and giving up a little time....

Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its a pleasure to hear that SOME dealers do care..In Michigan,for allmost all the dealers im involved with[about 30]maybe 2 of them support the safety program the way it should be presented..And thats ashame,because as injuries increase,this will lead to more government regulations,which in turn will eventually hit the pocketbook of those dealers that sell tehm.