Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma vs Redcat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

They're really a steal if you compare youth ATVs head to head. Performance is better with a Chinese 150cc compared to a Raptor 80 and they're less than half the price. They use the Loncin (Honda clone) engines that are proven reliable. Everything from a Honda engine retrofits onto these engines. You use a Honda oil filter. Very reliable. Suspension is the major concern on these. The replacement parts are DIRT CHEAP. I believe you can get full, brand new plastics for the Yamotos for $100. Wow, try to do that with a Honda or Yamaha ATV. Haha...I already replaced the front bumper because my girlfriend hit a tree and broke it. $50 for the bumper and $10-15 to ship. One of the more expensive parts on these.

The engine is pretty dang strong too. I weigh 210lbs and the Yamoto 150 will pull me up any hill with ease. The CVT tranny is perfect for young or inexperienced riders. Just sit and thumb it, no clutch or shifting. Anybody can ride one of these on there first day after learning to brake and transfer weight for cornering.. Simple-stupid to operate but they have the cool Raptor styling. They're sharp looking little units. My kid has a baby Raptor that looks just like Dad's real Raptor. I didn't have to go drop $3,000+ on a Raptor 80 with less power either. So far it's been a great buy for me. I haven't had any problems yet. It fires up every time and runs like a top.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

So I have been learning all I can on these bikes, this forum is a great resource, thanks everybody. It appears the biggest downside to the 150-MKII aside from rough cold starts is the lack of stability and rough ride, which reversing the wheels and possibly wheel spacers would remedy? And the possiblity of receiving one with some parts troubles which appear to be usually covered by warranty without too much hassle. Probably worth the risk for the money for the mechanically inclined. So after being about 95% sure I'm going to order the 150MKII for my daughter, I see the FX-250 is exactly the same dimesions, weight, size, seat height, everything, with a 250cc water cooled engine, also with a speed limiter. So I am now asking myself would it be worth another $500 to get the 250 for even more potential power/longevity. We ride the sand a lot so max power is pretty much a priority. She currently cant get enough speed on her 50 to make the hills and keep up with us, although she rides the heck out of it otherwise.

So my questions now are does anybody have any experience with the FX-250? My main concern would be if the a-arms are also extended as they are on the new MKII, and the brake light, rear foot brake, chain guard etc would also be nice, but I would especially hope the 250 would also have the improved stabilty of the extended a-arms. Maybe the 250's original a-arms are the same length as the MKII's extended? Or is it just the regular 150 w/a 250 motor? If stability was the same as the MKII, another $500 for another 100 water-cooled cc's would seem worth it, otherwise I dont think its worth the decreased stability. I want to make this as safe as I can for her. Also, any info on where to get wheel spacers for these units? And how much I can anticipate spending for them?

Oh yea, one last thing, would anybody mind checking the 8th digit on the VIN of their Redcat/Kazuma/whatever FX-150MKII (or the 250), and let me know if it is or is not a "3" or a "C"? I got CARB to deal with. Thanks again for all the good info, very helpful.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

The fx250 has alot more power than the fx150 and it is just as wide as the new fxmkII. They just need new shocks and they would be ok. I dont have the machine in front of me but will check the 8th digit for you. I just check the 150 and the 8th digit is a C

Old 03-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

Thanks chubbysdad, that means the 150 would be red sticker in Calif, which I'm trying to avoid as they limit ride areas during summer. So sounds like you have both the 150 and 250 sport models? Are they in fact same dimensions? Im trying to get best bike for my kid and if 250 is same size AND as stable as MKII, AND VIN works out, my decision is made. Interested to know you experiences with the bike(s). Thanks again for doing that checking.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

Yes just as stable as the MKII might even be a bit wider. I would just change out the shocks and you would be set. Thats what I am in the process of now. The lt160 shock is for the 150 I was told. I think it would match up to the 250 also but the weight is more on the 250. Might be too much machine for her though. How old is she.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

I'm reluctant to say because she is younger than the 16 yoa I think the manufactuer recommends, she's under 12 I'll say that. She is good size for her age, pretty tall. I put her on a 110 with real similar dimensions to the 150 and she fit fine, although I would not want her on something much bigger. She is on a Sundiro 50 now and needs a lot more power, and Im just not into the progessive purchases-80 to 90 to on and on, and an 80 or 90 is not going to have the power she needs right not for the sand. One reason I am concerned for the stability I dont want her going over. Im comfortable getting her the 150 and if the 250 is as, if not more, stable, then probably even safer, I can control the speed with the limiter so it doesnt get away from her. The specs I'm seeing for the FX-250 indicate it weighs the same and is the same size as the FX-150. Sounds/looks like the same frame,tires, etc with a bigger engine. There appear to be several 250's from Redcat/Kazuma, and I think this is the newest, FX-250. There is a LX-250, RFX-250, & KMZ-250, all w/racks and stuff (not talking about those), and a TCX-250, which is for adults, but on all the websites the FX-250 looks just like the FX-150. Some sites say air cooled, some say water cooled, so not certain which it is. There are so many variations of the same bike, it gets confusing. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

It is water cooled. My son is 9 and he can ride it. He also races so has alot of experience. I think it is heavier just cause of the weight of the motor. There is alot more motor there then the 150. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

I dont mean to blow you off about her age, I just know some get a little passionate about the recommended riding ages for certain size quads and I just dont want to raise that issue again. Some of the manufacture recommended ages are kinda ridiculous, if I waited until the recommended age to get her the bike she would never get to ride. She was riding the 50, recommended for 6 yoa, at age 4 w/o a problem. On that note some friends have had their just turned 10 yoa on a Honda 250 which is considerably bigger than the Kazuma 150, and she handles it great, never had a problem.

Anyway, glad to hear its water cooled. In looking on the net the listed weights for the 150 and 250 are identical, 265 pounds, so Im thinking same bike and engine with just a bigger bore.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

No the motor is totally different. The water cooled engine looks nothing like the air cooled motor in the 150. Thats fine about the age. My son is 9 and rides a 200 so I understand. He got his first atv(eton) at age 3 and was racing at 5 so I completly understand.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Kazuma vs Redcat

Great. So sounds like in your opinion the 250 is worth the extra cash? Any problems or issues with yours? If you get around to checking that VIN that would be great. And sounds like the a-arms are as long or longer on the 250 as the 150MKII?

Quick Reply: Kazuma vs Redcat