Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

if considering TRX90, also consider the mini grizz80, or Rap 80. They are the exact same except for cosmetics. AND you can buy the rear rack for the Rap80. The Yamahas are shaft drive/electric start, which Honda 90 doesn't have. no chain to adjust, or sprockets to replace, will save you time and $$. I've owned both and found the RAp80 crossed deeper water better, without takin it on thru the air box.

i would avoid the 2-strokes and especially the CVTs for your type of riding. i find the cvts in kids stuff have no hold back on the steeper terrain, whereas the semiautos can be geared down.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One down fall of the Raptor 80 is the front suspension. I don't like the front design. The Raptor is very tipsy when you hit a off camber place in the woods. Plus they are powerless. The trx 90 is a much better quad. This is just how I feel, It doesn't mean I'm right. But I've seen a few Raptor 80's in the series my son races in. They flip really easy. And I've seen my son smoke many of them in the woods when his quad was a 50. I'm not bashing Yamaha. I ride a yammy and I've always owned one.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think it's any tippier than the Honda, if you read specs on their width, wheel base, and seat height. you could always add wheel spacers too. i agree, they're not for racing. And i've heard complaints about the suspension but never experienced them whatsoever. i think that problem only exists in hard racing conditions.

As for your son blowing by people in the woods, what kinda riding are you doing? from reading your profile, seems like your son likes one speed only...FAST!! I haven't been on any race-rides, so i guess our reasons for riding are totally different. on a fun ride, nobody would be passing each other, just trying to make it thru some tough terrain.

The Honda has a pull start. Ever watch kids sit there and yank on that thing for 5-10 minutes? very frustrating for them, and for you when you have to run over and bail them out. Also, we found it stalled on the same depth water crossings, where the Rap80 did not. I guess that can be modded too.

but like you said, we have different opinions.. so it's okay to agree to disagree. You're not going to convince me the Honda is better, and i won't convince you the Yamaha is better. We have a Honda and Yamaha in the adult sizes, and i like both.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

If 1 must have a 4 stroke which are very great quads for your conditions. There are some off brands which are great. You have the bomb, AC, . The big 4 are alot more money. My buddy has the Bomb 4 stroke for his kids. The engine is a honda makeover. Elec and kick start. He really likes his. You never did say what kind of dealers are in your area. Or you wanting the Yamaha name in general. The shaft deal is very nice.

And as for the yamy, honda thing. I like them all some just more then others. They all have down falls. I have a Cat which is an "offbrand" and it's been one heck of a quad. It's been put thru some stuff. So the "offbrands" are just as good for alot less.

And I did see that it wasn't for racing. The person said which is best for rocky, hilly conditions. Which is kinda extreme conditions. There is a difference in riding on level and on hills with off camber. There are some front end's built better for this type of riding.

If I may offer 1 piece of advice is to let the child pick it out. Shop around and you pick say 2 or 3. Then let them pick the one they like. Because they need the 1 that they feel good on. But whatever you choose. Please enjoy the many hours of good clean fun.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

FWIW - Our daughters Polaris 90 Sportsman 2 cycle was one tough little quad. When 12 she rode it to the summit of Mt Independence in MT (9800+ feet) and that is one rough, rocky, technical climb. 8 hours up and 8 hours down. After taking a spill on another ride I had to ride the 90cc out (and Im over 220pounds) while she rode with her mother on the TRV. I often thought about how much fun it would be to have a half dozen of these little quads rather than the much more expensive large ones.

No - they are not deep water machines. Anything above the floor boards is bad. But we always found a way for her to get through even if we shut it off and dead dragged it through the really really bad stuff.

On one ride - the riders of two 500cc 4x4 machines had stopped to contemplate the difficulty of the muddy pass we named Satins Gultch that lay ahead of them - when my daughter blasted past on her 90. I heard the one rider tell the other - "I guess that makes us the wussies here"

Old 02-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Good to hear. I love my Sportsman and trust those machines. I can get an '04 for 1800, new and out of the box. My local dealer wants to move it. How does it do on the inclines. Do you have to rev the 2 cycle motor to get over rocky terrian? My fear with a two stroke is that you can't go slow over rocky trails on an incline. How about reverse? Do you wish you had it or is it manageble without it?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I agree with canucklehead on the Raptor 80. The machine does exactly what it was designed for... It was not desigend to be a racer. It was desigend to get the crap kicked out of it and keep coming back for more. Ever hit a tree with one? Just back off and ride off looking for more.. Do that on an a-arm machine, and you probably will need a tow truck. Same goes for speed. Come on, we are talking mini's designed for a class that by definition should not exceed something like 10MPH acording to the guidelines... (Not sure what it is exactly, but it is low) Most machine do go faster though. Plus, you can pull the blocking plate from the airbox and it picks up even more. (thin plastic with holes in it)

For mountain riding it shoud be a great choice. The mini Griz is an even better choice, as it comes with floorborads. You can easily put on widening spacers or spacer bolts... and it greatly reduces the tendency to feel tippy. I do not however think they are any worse than the others in stock form.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

this kind of topic prolly gets posted every 2nd day on average. we all pipe in with what we think (which is okay, cuz the guy posting wants various opinions). But when I re-read these posts, my head would be spinning as to which brand to get (if i didn't know already from experience what works best for us). Folks are prolly better off asking: "what should i stay away from", because there are prolly 10 good choices out there, all of which will run well and be fun. and the thing you really don't want to do is to buy the lemon of the group only to find out later (HELLO Kasea Mighty-Mite...I had one). ANd bluetick had a great point, let Jr. sit on a few, try them out, and have some input into the decision. Narrow it down to what you think is best, and only show him those brands.

happy hunting.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the input. ...and I knew I'd be one more person asking the same questions over again, but felt I had had different needs and country to play in. Again, thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

I love it when we all get together talk about which youth quad is best for what. I have on more on one occasion had people tell me the reason that I recomend lt80s so much is because that is what I own, well duh, that is why I own them. They work for a majority of all my kids needs, if honda had an electric starter then I may have a different opinion for my kids but they don't. Pick what ya like. Go to the local area see what is being run for yourself and make your own determination. For steep inclines(not dunes) a non cvt 4 stroke is the best option for the trail use descibed earlier.

Quick Reply: What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?