Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

confusedbuyer,
Your cool. You're right, it's the same story, just a different day and poster. So, are you sold on the Raptor 80? What's the best thing about it?

Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I'll weigh in on the Raptor deal.. For one thing.. they are tanks... and I mean that in a good way. Some people say they are slow... yup. Some say they don't like the tank like front end.. well, if you have ever had a kid run into a tree with it, you would sing it's praises every chance you get.

The motor is mild... but you can pull the piece of plastic from in front of the air cleaner to pump it up a bit (Per Yamaha). It is not a rocket, but will take a beating, and keep ticking better than a Timex. I put my 6'4", 300 lb dragginbutt on it, and it handles me just fine... imagine what a kid can do.

They do what they are built for quite well... they are not racers though... Just a simple, reliable, gas and go kids mini ATV. Only thing I'd add is some form of headlight... and it would be perfect.

JMHO

Dragginbutt

Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have to leave my country to go to a real game[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2005, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: quadduck
I don't have to leave my country to go to a real game[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
OH? you guys got a pro hockey team in Washington now, or do you drive to CA? HEY you did say .."a real game", and there' no game better than the good 'ol hockey game. Just ask Stompin' Tom Connors.

and we have CFL here, it's okay... lots of your college stars start here, or even NFL stars get groomed here. An NFL team would be nice tho.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Psycmike
confusedbuyer,
Your cool. You're right, it's the same story, just a different day and poster. So, are you sold on the Raptor 80? What's the best thing about it?
thanks dude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] ...... somebody finally noticed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

what i really like is we have 4 of us on quads, plus 2 dirtbikes. i do ALL the maintenance. i can't remember which one's had the air filter cleaned, or chain lubed or adjusted, etc... And it really is a lot of work to keep up to all these toys (waaa, waaaa). So i like the lack of maintenance with shaft drive, easy to work on for air filter cleaning, carb adjusting, so we can just jump on and go. Proven drive-train that is super dependable (20 years??? whenever they first made the Moto80). I like the gears over CVT because on steep hills jr. just gears down to first with some light braking. The CVT's just run away like a rocket and the kids are over-rear-braking= sideways action. learning gears younger makes them a better rider, able to adapt easier to a dirtbike. the 4-stroke = longer engine life. I disagree with Dbut just a hair; I think in 3rd gear these things have more speed than we need for the fun trails we like to get on (we don't care to stay on the logging roads too long, we're looking for some forest trails with stumps, big rocks or boulders, ruts, water crossings). so i ithink they're plenty fast.

suspension?? well, the first quad we had was an '84 LT50. No suspension or shocks, rear brakes only that would often loose adkustment in mud= no brakes. Then the Moto80 was great, EXCEPT no shocks or suspension. So once we got ANYTHING with shocks it was like a non-factor as to which quad has a better suspension..... we were just happy to have ANY suspension.

they go thru deep water really well. could use more ground clearance and i don't like the oddball 7" rims, BUT, you can get 8" rims for them. I'll wait until current set of tires is worn out.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Pro Rider

I was talking about the womans nba champs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Psycmike,

I seen your above question about Spring Loaded chain tensioners. Some minis don't come with Chain tensioners and some do. Some early years of a model didn't have chain tensioners and their newer years do. The Pred-90 brand is one of these. It's '03 year didn't come with a chain tensioner. The '04 and '05 do come with one. Some (like me) swear that a chain tensioner is mandatory for all riding conditions and some only recommend them if into racing and/or extreme trail riding. And some only recommend them if using a heavy rider and thin factory chain on specific minis. To me, the Pred-90 brand comes with too thin of a chain. Its a factory 428 "general quality" chain. To me, it should have come with a 428 HD or a 520 chain. 520 chain would be much better. Thicker / stronger the chain, less stretching. Thus, less time needed for maintenance (tightening) and less risk of its chain coming off - espcially on bumps / jumps.

In the early days, I used to tighten our Pred-90 428 (general quality) chain after every 4th trail ride. A pain in the tail. After putting $3.00 in a can every time I had to tighten our chain, I could finally afford an HPD Spring Loaded chain tension. Today, I set the tension of its chain in the spring and its "good to go" for the entire year. For us, installing a Spring Loaded chain tension for $59.00 USD + shipping was one of the best mods we've done. With such great success, I now recommend Spring Loaded chain tensioners on all brands - regardless of their chain thickness. From a "less maintenance" time perspective, they are well worth it. I hear even some of the E-Ton folks have installed it on their minis - which has a 520 chain size. And some of the LT80 folks have installed a Chain Roller on theirs. To me, having a Spring Loaded chain tensioner for any riding condition is well worth it.

Hope this helps....

Old 02-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Psycmike
WhoDatInDaMud,
Did you have troubles with the chain and it not being able to stay tight? In reading the posts here on the board, Spike99 often talks of the troubles he used to have prior to adding a tension adjustment thingie to his Preditor 90. Did you have any problems with fouling plugs? Just a few more questions
Thanks for your time, dude.
Ya - the chain adjustment had to be done a couple-three times each year. Spikes idea of adding a tension device isn't bad if you dont want to spend the 5 minutes doing it. Its a pretty simple task. I don't believe the factory chain is all that good to begin with. After replacing it (steel rod caught between it and the sprocket) the replacement chain did not seem to require as frequent adjustment.

I say its a simple task but that may be because I built a maintenance platform in the back yard to run the quads up onto so that I can stand and work on the machine rather than sitting on the floor. But I have done the chain adjustment on the trail also. In the mud. Still not the worst part of the day.

Never had a fouled plug problem. Bought a spare plug when I bought the machine and its still in my 500's box. Should give that to the neighbor who bought the quad. He can store it for a few years.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Spike99 and WhoDatIntheMud,
I'm seriously looking at the Sportsman 90 now. It's a local buy from a reputible dealer in town, warrenty, and at a very good price. It's a new '04 so maybe they have the chain tensioner on it. I'll have to ask. If not, they'll have to show me how to tighten the darn thing. I'm mechanically declined as opposed to mechanically inclined. Hopefully, it's low enough maintenenc that it will be fine.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I wouldn't let a simple thing like a loose chain be the determining factor on your choice of one quad over the other. All ATV's, need maintenence. Just like lawn mowers, bicycles, cars etc. We are not talking something that requires four or five stars on the difficulty scale here. If you know how to turn a wrench to the right to tighten, and left to loosen.. you should do just fine. Keep it lubed too.. a simple task to squirt oil on a chain as you rotate it. Not a big deal.

The most important deal here is to find an ATV that fits your child correctly. ATV's are not like shoes.. you don't want to "grow" into them. Size it right, ride it and have fun for a while, then pass it on. Half the fun of this sport is going to the dealers with your child and drooling over the latest super whiz bang rocketship.... Get into it....

Quick Reply: What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?