Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Vibration in a Sportsman 90

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in a Sportsman 90

I just purchased a Sportsman 90, '04 last week. I took it for a test drive and noticed the floor boards vibrated to the point it tickled my feet. It would only go so fast, probably half throttle or less. I believe they had the speed controled through the CDI box or the throttle limiter. However, is it normal for them to vibrate until motor mounts soften up or get broken in? That's what the dealer was telling me. Or is it about the limiter/CDI and it being turned down?

Thoughts?

Old 02-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

its most likely the cdi governer....dealer is not allowed to take it off....it limits the bike so much it will foul the plug...hope this helps

Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For vibrations, the bolts in the running boards could be "too tight" or they may have forgotten to install rubber strips between the floor boards and its support steel plates / bars. If I remember correctly, our Pred-90 has little rubber strips. If yours doesn't, you could install rubber strips on yours - and see if this makes a difference. Some also apply clear external silcone between the floor boards and its connecting upporting steel parts. Remember to wipe off the surplus silcone that its squeezes out. This "rubber like when dry" layer sometimes helps as well.

For Speed adjustments on our '03 Pred-90, surf:

- Press Here 1 -
- Press Here 2 -

Notes:
1 - Press on "Normal Size" to read its small text.
2 - These same speed controls may apply to your '04 SP-90 as well.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

The dealer still has it as I have not had time to go get it (son's bday isn't until March anyway). When I bring that little fella home I'll get underneth it and look at it to see what is going on and also adjust the CDI. It was turned down low when I test drove it, I bet that created the vibration. Just wondered if others have experienced the same vibration when their CDI is turned down to limit the speed.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a suggestion, stop by your local mini-quad dealer and obtain your SP-90 User Manual in advance. As not to get caught with it (by your future young rider), only read it at work. Read a few chapters every day / every other day and use a pencil to cross forward / cross reverse the critical pages. Little pointer things that are related but covered in many different pages. And also read your manual many times over. On the 3rd reading of my '03 Pred-90 manual, I was still learning new things. Things I missed during the previous readings.

If you are unable to obtain a hard copy of the '04 SP-90 User Manual from your dealer in advance, you can also down load an electronic copy from Polaris Industries. Their Manual Download site is: - Press Here -

Note: You may have to register / login to their site for the 1st time. But, it's well worth it.

Hope this helps as well....

Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 AM
Range Rover

Spike99:
You seem to be the "light man" with these little wheelers. What's your guess on a Sportsman 90, or have you looked at them closely, in poping out the fake lights and mounting aftermarket fog lights in their place? Or would mounting them on the frame somewhere be the best, like you did with your Pred 90? Oh, and the idea about reading the owners manual...I'm all over it. I read those things and Mrs. Psycmike thinks I'm the biggest geek. And, she's right.

Thanks for the insight.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Trailblazer

How do you adjust the CDI? I didnt know you could do that

Old 02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

you cant adjust.....there is a little metal strip(completing a circuit) secured by 2 phillips head screws....remove the metal strip and replace the screws....oh yeah...its on the cdi up underneath driver side front fender...

Old 02-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

You're right. There is no adjusting the CDI. As I was getting my instructions from the dealer with the SP 90, they showed me how to remove the small connector between the two screws on the CDI. I'm learning a lot with these little machines. Anyway....

Old 02-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

Not sure how the motor mounts in a pred. , but I do know if you over tighten the mounts on a Viper it will transfer vibrations to the frame. After a while it will tear the crossmember up on the frame.

Quick Reply: Vibration in a Sportsman 90