Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Okay Guys, I have the next problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay Guys, I have the next problem!

Originally posted by: newnick
Do your kids ride the quad wide open most of the time, or do they ride at mid-throttle most of the time? If their riding around at mid-throttle mostly check what the plug looks like, sounds like its getting fouled to me. The needle setting is mainly for mid throttle so you might have to adjust it down or move the clip up.
Moving the clip up one would return it to the stock position. Is this what I need to do?

Thanks for all the input guys, keep em coming. I will try these things in the morning and let you know the results.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

What led you to move the clip on the needle to begin with? If it will run for 5+ min. with the choke on it would have to be lean at idle. Mine, although not a LT 80 will die with choke on. Have to turn it off when it starts. Check to see how many turns out the idle air screw is, should be 1 to 1-1/2 turns out. No, the throttle stop screw (idle screw) is usually the big screw on the side of the carb, not the throttle limiter on the handle bars. Altitude and temp. would be useful info. Humidity will also effect jetting. I would think most mini quads are sent from factory to run around 65 deg. We run ours down to 0 deg. and when we run it at 25-35 deg it will run so rich it bogs down.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bengen
What led you to move the clip on the needle to begin with? If it will run for 5+ min. with the choke on it would have to be lean at idle. Mine, although not a LT 80 will die with choke on. Have to turn it off when it starts. Check to see how many turns out the idle air screw is, should be 1 to 1-1/2 turns out. No, the throttle stop screw (idle screw) is usually the big screw on the side of the carb, not the throttle limiter on the handle bars. Altitude and temp. would be useful info. Humidity will also effect jetting. I would think most mini quads are sent from factory to run around 65 deg. We run ours down to 0 deg. and when we run it at 25-35 deg it will run so rich it bogs down.
Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of the whole jetting thing. I'm in Michigan (I think it's 900 above sea level) it was 26deg out today when I had my boys on their quad. I moved the needle to try and solve another issue I was having. Thanks for the info, I'll double check on the idle screw in the morning.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is NO air/idle jet screw on the LT80, only an idle speed screw. strange, i know. you asked about removing carb. do as the other fella suggested; first make sure it's not loose at the 2 bolts where it mounts to the reed cage. i've had mine loosen off there too.

you asked about removing carb/things to look for. there is a rubber o-ring (gasket) between carb and reed cage, careful not to lose or tear it.

check plug, and always have a spare plug to see how it runs with that, cuz that can be a cheap, easy fix.

my first thot was float/flooding, but these have no float level adjustment. the restrictors are in the exhaust and on top of the carb slide (top part that screws into carburator has a plastic or brass ring to limit how far they can pull the throttle body). you were talking about the thumb throttle stop screw, which is a speed restrictor too.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The needle IS NOT for top end. It is for idle up to half throttle. Once you get past half throttle the needle is out of the needle jet. It sounds like you are running rich. You need to raise the clip to lean it out. These machines run pretty rich from factory and when you lowered the clip you made it more rich. Thats why you have to open the throttle all the way for it to start. Raise the clip and you should be ok.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

Have you ever did a plug check on this quad.You said the temp was only 26 degrees. That is awefuly cold for a 2 stroke. I willnot run mine under 45 degrees. It's hard to keep them jeted and running smooth at such a low temp. To top it off I'm at 3600' and it's really hard to keep them jeted right. Plus when you get down that low some oils will seperate. Maxima 927 the oil I use in premix will.What I'm getting at is watch the plug to make sure your jetted right. You will smoke an engine real quick.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Trailblazer

Okay guys, I fixed it again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I took the top of the carb off (AGAIN) and moved the clip on the needle to the stock position(2nd notch). I cleaned all the parts that come off the top of the carb with carb cleaner, and she ran perfect for a hour straight (with me on it at WOT 85% of the time). So that was an easy fix.

Thanks for the input again.

The R

Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bluetickracing
Have you ever did a plug check on this quad.You said the temp was only 26 degrees. That is awefuly cold for a 2 stroke. I willnot run mine under 45 degrees. It's hard to keep them jeted and running smooth at such a low temp. To top it off I'm at 3600' and it's really hard to keep them jeted right. Plus when you get down that low some oils will seperate. Maxima 927 the oil I use in premix will.What I'm getting at is watch the plug to make sure your jetted right. You will smoke an engine real quick.
Never did a plug check; next time something goes wrong I'll check that first, but now it is running perfect.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
The needle IS NOT for top end. It is for idle up to half throttle. Once you get past half throttle the needle is out of the needle jet. It sounds like you are running rich. You need to raise the clip to lean it out. These machines run pretty rich from factory and when you lowered the clip you made it more rich. Thats why you have to open the throttle all the way for it to start. Raise the clip and you should be ok.
My thoughts exactly