Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

'02 Scrambler 50 help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Scrambler 50 help...

I'm kinda new to these kids quads, my daughter has had a Scrambler 50 for about 3 years now, it has been great until the last trip. We mainly ride in the dunes and I've removed all of the restricters, put a new CDI in, modified the throttle cable, removed the oil injection and changed the front sprocket for more top end. These mild mods made a huge difference and it would nearly go anywhere the 80's and 90's would go until last weekend. It just doesn't seem to have the power to pull itself up a decent sized dune anymore, before it would at least spin the tires until it was stuck, but last weekend it would just slow down and bog real bad until it wasn't moving.

I've read a few posts about the roller weights in the clutch and taking a few out to raise the rpm's before engaging. Is this the same on the Polaris?? What do I remove or what do I buy and replace? I've never had the clutch apart, any suggestions for pulling it apart for the first time or is it relatively straight forward??

I'm considering moving her into a 90, but I love this little quad and the suspension is great for a 50 pound kid, it really soaks up the bumps rather than bouncing around like some of the other quads with really stiff suspension. I just might keep this if I can get a little more power out of it or maybe even put a 70 kit on it if one is made and not too expensive?? How is the reliabilty once you really modify the engine??

Thanks for any advice you may have...

Justin