Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 turns over but won't start

Long Story short version. Went to Galmis California Lt80 ran great, we were at a dead stop LT80 was turnned off. My son went to start the LT80 started right up went about 20 feet and stopped running. I checked the fuel which is deliverying perfect to the carb and to the plug. I check the spark and have good spark from the plug. I checked for compression and have good compression, can't remember compression #. My thought is that he either sheared of the woodruff key or the coil pick up went bad. Lt80 turnes over but will not start. Would like some other opinions on this subject.
Thanxs

Old 03-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer

Ok I check the woodruff key and it is fine checked the pick up and it is working as well. Ok lets see if I am correct on this next statement: The coil on this LT80 playes two rolls coil and voltage regulator. If that is true and the voltage regulator goes out, I would still get spark just not strong enough to fire the little LT80 up. Does any body know how to test the coil besides the checking for spark? Once again this is a 1989 LT80

Old 03-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry I miss worded the last statement I meant the coil also has a built in CDI in the coil. If this is true how can I test the coil with the built in CDI?

Old 03-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I would think if you can see the spark, when you test for it, it is good enough. which would mean the coil and cdi are good.
Is the spark weak? can you hear it snap? Have you tried a new plug?
The 3 things you need are compression,spark(and at the correct time) and fuel.
Is it possible the idle circuit is plugged...have you tried starting at 1/4 throttle? Does it sound like its trying to start?

Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Trailblazer

I have tried at 1/4 throttle and still wont start. I will try a new plug that I havent tried but will today. That is my suspision that the timing might be off. cant hear the spark snap but can see a spark, spark looks good.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Here is what I would do. Take the aircleaner off and give it a good shot of ether. Kick the thing over and listen to what is happening. Whan you kick the thing over you need to hold it WOT. If it starts and quits it will be fuel. If it does nothing it will be spark. If it pops or snorts but won't run it might be spark or timing related.
Most of the time when I run into a deal like this the case will be loaded up with fuel and it will be super flooded.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Ok did the test and nothing happended didn't try to start at all just turnned over. I am going to do another compresion test again. I have good spark( little blue spaek) I did some thinking and I need to do another compresion test. My fear is that a blew a crank seal, or one of the rings might be frozen (melted) to the piston. Top end has been port and bored so I need to check the compression again.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Make sure the throttle is wide open for the compression test, or the results wont be accurate.
If after the first compression test shows low, put a couple of drops of oil down the spark plug hole and re do the compression check. If the reading is higher with the oil, the rings arent sealing well. If its the same, crank seals or head gasket, or plugged up exhaust.
Im thinking the compression is too low...you have spark( even if its weak), and you got fuel (starter fluid), that just leaves timing or compression.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Ok checked compresion and it is bad. Less then 14 hours on fresh top end PISTON PIN CIRC broke loose scared cylender and piston and rings. I can't believe the first compresion test showed good. My compresion test showed at 25psi. Sorry to have wasted anyones time on this. Top end was bored and ported, don't think I can salvage the cyclender.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ouch, I feel for ya.
At least you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: LT80 turns over but won't start