Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

UNISON DESERT CAT 90 REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNISON DESERT CAT 90 REVIEW

I will start my review from the minute I unloaded it from the semi.

Please enjoy, and if you have any comments just ask

RECIEVING:

From the minute I unloaded it from the semi I was real impressed with the way that they had it packaged. It had a cardboard cover over it as well as shrink-wrap over it and all bended up. I had it delivered at work so I could put it in my truck with my forklift.
When I got it home it was a real pain to get it off my truck.
I had to wait 2 hours to dig into it until my son got home from school; he was just as excited, as I was to put it together. More of the same great packaging as we took it out it was all bubble wrapped and packed real nice inside.

On to the good stuff!

ASSEMBLY:

The ATV came with an easy to read user manual, a packing list as well as a bag of nuts and bolts that appear to be of good quality. It also came with a flag and a cover (supposed to come with shock covers as well.) The packing list was nice I could see that someone at the factory sat there and packed the bike and checked things off as they were packed for shipment. The only thing that we had to do was mount the tires and bars, front bumper, and charge the battery. We also had to put oil in the tank. The only thing I did not like about putting it together was it had no kind of manual on how to put it together or fire it for the first time. (Although I have already fired it could someone let me know the steps just in case I left something out.)? Assembling it only took us about an hour and a half. Everything that we had to do went real smooth with no problems. I might add that my son now thinks he is a pro now.

STARTING:

I filled the oil tank up and hit the ignition, it took about 5 tries to get it fired, but it finally started right up. The only thing that I had to do was adjust the idle as it was dieing on me.

FIRST RIDE:

Let it warm up for about 10 minutes before the first ride. Hopped on it and hit the gas I think the front wheel almost came off the ground, lots of power to be had. Rode it around for about a half hour to check it out, before I let my son on it. He ended up riding it for about 2 hours, no problems.

FIRST IMPRESSION:

First off let me say that so far I don't think you will find a better ATV for the price.

BRAKES:

Drum front disk in the back. The brakes on this machine really have a good amount of stopping power. I can hit the back brakes on pavement and skid the back brakes. The front brakes act as the e-brake kind of like the Z400 e-brake. The only thing that I do not like about the brakes is the lack of a foot brake (I just think it makes for an easier transition to a bigger quad if you already know where the brakes are.

MOTOR:

What can I say about the motor, my son went from a Yamoto to this, night and day difference. Have not given it full throttle yet because of the brake-in period, but with out a shadow of a doubt I could wheelie it. Again lots of power.

SUSPENSION:

Single a-arms in the front with adjustable shocks. The shocks in the front are okay but would probably could use some help. The rear is single mono adjustable and IMO there are just as good as my 04 Z400 rear shocks. Lots of rebound.

TIRES:

Kendas in the front and rear could not ask for a better tire. Lots of traction.

SAFTEY:

Tether kill switch, rear brake light, front headlights, disc brake on the rear.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Chain drive with a tensioner, CVT tranny, good suspension, great tires. The fit and finish are very good as are the looks. The only thing I would change is the placement of the kick-starter seems to get in the way. I know it's not made for me, but I have hit my knee on the key where they put it. I would definably put a rear foot brake. It has no belly protection.

I would definably recommend this ATV to anyone; it is a fine piece of work.
I thank John over at racewayatv.com for selling me it.

I hope this help someone make an informed decision on what to buy their child.

If you have any question please post.
I will post more comments over the next couple of months.

Thanks for reading

Roman

Old 04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

Which Yomoto was your son riding prior to the Unison?

Old 04-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

He was riding the Yamoto 70cc. I just sold it a couple of weeks ago for 850.0

Old 04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Great review Defcon.I just hope you either had pre-mixed your gas with some oil or bled the oil injection line.If you just filled up the tank and then started it up and idled it,it probably ran for quite a while until the oil worked its way through the pump and got pumping.Sounds like its running ok so its probably alright.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I called John today and ordered the Desert Cat 90 (white/red) and should be here 7-10 business days. I'm having it delivered to my work for the cost of home delivery was a little over $100. $1345 total delivered to my work. After many hours of research, I to found the Unison to be the best for the money. Alot of Predator 90 parts will work on this quad according to Unison USA. I hope my purchase is as smooth as yours defcon5.

JMiller

Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

All is well with the Unison!!

Roman

Old 04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE!

The weather around here has sucked since the day I brought it home! I hate it!
Supposed to be sunny this coming weekend.

I still run it around the yard, no problems.

Roman