Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

too big for 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too big for 90

My dad wants me to get a 90cc even though im too big for it. He says it's against the law if im not sixteen to ride a 250cc. I'm 13 and a bulky kid about 5 feet tall. I'm not that small. Should i just ride illegaly? what could happen if the cops catch me with a 250?

thanx ,cory

Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default too big for 90

I think it is more dangerouse for some kid to be on a quad that they dont fit. If your size and maturity fits then go for it. It is just rediculouse to have an age limit for cc's. There are alot of bigger kids that would miss out on riding if they were to go by those rules. My son is seven and a 70cc is just wat too small so I bought him a 110cc and just limited the speed.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default too big for 90

i ride my uncles 250EX and it's no problem for me to control it. My dads just afriad that he might get in even more trouble if i get caught riding a 250. your right, there shouldnt be a age limit for atv's.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default too big for 90

As far as I know it is not illegal but they just dont recommend it. They put those stickers on the atv's so they dont get sued and they dont want just any kid walking into a shop without parents and say I want that 250cc atv. I go to public and private riding places and see kids on 125 and up atv's all the time. They can let a 15-16yo get a drivers permit and license to drive but they cant drive a 250cc atv? I am a dad and I cant get in trouble for my son riding a 110cc atv. Your dad cant get in trouble either. I sure as heck dont want my 12yo 120lb nephew on a 90cc atv when it would be harder to control a smaller atv with a bigger kid on it.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default too big for 90

Well Cory.. I think I am going to have to side with your dad on this one... Like them or not, you don't really get to choose which laws you feel apply to you and which ones don't. You get caught, and slam bang, your parents can have social services breathing down THEIR necks. Besides, if you knowingly disregard the laws, it makes it even worse as far as the judge is concerned.. because it shows contempt for the law... and that is not a good thing.

It may be unpopular now, but your father is being the parent, and sometimes as a parent, they will have to make decisions that you just don't like... Well such is life.. I can't sugar coat it any more than that. It isn't fair.. but nowhere does it say we have to be. Your dad doesn't owe you anything other than teaching you right from wrong. So why not cut him some slack and thank him for being a caring parent.

As for the laws, before you go off half cocked, have you at least researched the laws in your state? The CPSC guidelines are not in force in all states.. so check it out... You might just be whining for nothing... Besides, it just might impress your father and give him the feeling that you just might be growing up.

The most important thing you can take away from this forum is to not listen to anyone other than your father. Period! You are lucky to have a dad that at least has taken interest...

Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default too big for 90

After re-reading your comments, I have more to add. There is definately a need for age limits. The ability to sit on the seat, hit the throttle and hang on is only asmall part of the over all deal. A lot of the deal is the ability to make rational and mature decisions under emergency situations.

ALso just as important is responsible riding, and following the RULES. These things are NOT toys.. they demand a very high level of concentration and respect... the first time you lose either, and you are going to get hurt or worse.

Personally, if my son were to be whining to the world like this, I'd take it as a sign that you were not ready for the responsibility.. and I'd make you wait until you had figured it out.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default too big for 90

In a sense Dragginbut is right, but in the 25yrs that I have been riding I have never herd of someone getting in trouble for a kid being on an atv that they were not supposed to. I am a very responsible parent and I teach my kids responsible riding. Helmets are a must! NO HELMET NO RIDING PERIOD!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default too big for 90

Here are some guidlines NOT LAWS!!

Training, Size Guidelines and Supervision are Keys to ATV Safety
(ARA) - Riding all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) is an increasingly popular family fun activity for tens of millions of Americans. ATVs also are essential tools for ranchers, law enforcement, military and many others. There are more models than ever to choose from, with a wide range of ATVs designed to suit the needs of every kind of rider. From 1997 to 2002, sales of new ATVs in the United States more than doubled, from close to 360,000 to nearly 770,000 a year.

With more people discovering both the joy and versatility of these multipurpose machines, proper training and appropriate use of ATVs is more important than ever. And it’s critical that parents buy the right-sized ATV for their children under 16 and supervise them at all times while they’re riding.

“ATVs are fun and extremely useful when used responsibly,” says Tim Buche, president of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA). “The ATV industry promotes rider education, parental supervision and appropriate state legislation as key aspects to improving ATV safety for children and adults.”

The SVIA is an information source for the ATV industry. The ATV Safety Institute (ASI) is a not-for-profit division of the SVIA that implements a national program supporting ATV safety education. The SVIA and the ASI are committed to providing quality ATV training throughout the United States, with the goal of offering uniform, consistent service regardless of geographic area. More than 510,000 riders have taken the ASI RiderCourse since 1988, including more than 47,000 in 2002. Nearly 1,500 active ASI instructors conduct training at 935 locations nationwide.

The ASI promotes the following seven “Golden Rules” of ATV safety:

1. All riders, children and adults, should take an approved ATV training course.

2. Children should ride an ATV that’s right for their age. Parents play an essential role in selecting the most appropriate sized ATV, and should follow these ASI guidelines:

Age 6 or older – Under 70cc

Age 12 or older – 70cc to 90cc

Age 16 and older – Over 90cc

3. Children under the age of 16 should always ride under adult supervision.

4. All riders should always wear an off-highway motorcycle helmet, over-the-ankle boots, long pants, gloves, long sleeves and eye protection.

5. Never carry a passenger.

6. Never ride on public roads and always avoid paved surfaces.

7. Ride only on designated trails and ride responsibly.

With the goal of reinforcing these guidelines, the ATV industry strongly supports appropriate state legislation that imposes reasonable age limits, prohibits carrying of passengers and operating on streets and highways, and requires helmets while riding.

If riders follow the “Golden Rules” and ride within their personal skill limits, ATVs can provide countless hours of safe outdoor recreation for the entire family. Information on ATV training is available through the ATV Safety Institute at (800) 887-2887, or online at www.atvsafety.org.

Courtesy of ARA Content

TintDude.com

© 1999 - 2005 Ric Wellman
All Rights Reserved.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default too big for 90

Again these are not laws they are guidelines. If they were laws they would not be saying should not/ or should be. They would be saying are not permitted or allowed by law. It is up to the parent to decide what atv BEST FITS his or her child by size and maturity.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default too big for 90

Cory, I feel like you're in that age group that just doesn't fit within the guidelines. It's unfortuneate. Maybe you can consider a dirt bike instead?