Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb question

I recently converted to the single throttle cable and eliminated the oil pump. I have had a hard time getting it started since. Yesterday to get it started, I took off the air filter box and sprayed carb cleaner in the carburetor. It started (after jacking the rear wheels up to relieve throttle pressure?). I put the air filter box back on, I let it sit for a while, rode it and it ran fine. Two problems: I don't wnat to do this to (cold) start it each time. 2.) When it is running idle, it sounds like its choking making a put, put, put sound. Can anyone provide any information. I am new at this, trying to get some experience and of course the dealer has a 2 week back log!!!!!
Thanks,

BTW, it's a Predator 90 w/no major mods.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Default Carb question

Did you rejet it after removeing the oil injection? You will have to make a few adjustments as well.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb question

Originally posted by: newnick
Did you rejet it after removeing the oil injection? You will have to make a few adjustments as well.
Don't see what rejetting would have to do with the start up unless you change the pilot?

May be a clogged pilot jet or the fuel and idle screws need adjusted. You can try cleaning the carb. And something I learned the hard way, make sure you let the machine warm to normal operating temps b4 setting the fuel and idle screw.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb question

Just curious if after you eliminated the pump if you plugged the little oil line that goes to the carb.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb question

The air screw will most likely adjust out the idle . You might have to adjust the needle and use a larger main.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Carb question

chubbydad, I did plug the hose to the carb from the oil pump. I will be checking the airscrew this evening.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Carb question

ok, adjusted the air screw and it sounds better. I turned it into the carb. I wish I could have turned it in little more. I am thinking of seeing if cleaning my air filter will help. It isn't that dirty. My next question is how to get rid of the white smoke. Any other suggestions. I feel like I am almost there!!!
Thanks,

Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Default Carb question

Originally posted by: dogg
ok, adjusted the air screw and it sounds better. I turned it into the carb. I wish I could have turned it in little more. I am thinking of seeing if cleaning my air filter will help. It isn't that dirty. My next question is how to get rid of the white smoke. Any other suggestions. I feel like I am almost there!!!
Thanks,

Smoke is caused from 2 things. 1-Your jetting is off. 2-oil type and ratio

What ratio are you running? I run between 38-40:1.

ps - smoke is normal upon start up. Should thin out as the engine warms.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb question

also have you changed to a premix oil. dont use the injector oil now, they are different.

Mark

Old 04-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Carb question

Make sure to oil your air filter, putting it back together dry will cause lean conditions. There is air filter oil like Bel-Ray or No toil. If you don't have any of this then that old injector oil will work pretty good. It just isn't tacky enough to stay on the filter really great. After sitting for a long while Gravity will pull it to the lowest point on the filter.
Use a high quality oil for mixing and your smoke problemas should be minimized. Bel-Ray makes a 2 stroke oil smokeless S-I7 I believe that lends itself compatible to premixing.

Quick Reply: Carb question