Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

A/C 90cc--no start--JUNK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
geo
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C 90cc--no start--JUNK!

My alpha developed a similar issue some time ago... would not start with the electric start, but immediately fired with the kick starter. When testing the spark (plug out) it seemed perfect. but put it back in and no go. i think it had something to do with cranking speed. never did get it worked out since we pitched the starter and battery for racing purposes.

i'm currently playing with a friend's eton rascal that he struggled with for several months on a 'no start' issue. this machine really has me perplexed cause same as you, everything is in place - spark, fuel, and compression. weird thing is that i can yank on that pull starter till my arm is about to fall off with barely a cough from the little motor. i pull the plug, inspect the spark (perfect), yank it about a dozen more times, put a fresh plug in, and pow the thing fires up and runs like no tomorrow. next day, i have to go through the whole ritual again.

i think maybe we have a similar problem, fuel fouling, or flooded engine.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Geo's post reminded me of my boy's old trx70. It would run great at times and then start acting up and then run good again. I kept messing with the carb. One day I decided it was electrical and started checking things, I almost bought a new coil thinking it might be bad. As I was moving wires around a wire connection came apart with almost just a nudge. I grabbed it and it was to loose, so I cleaned it out and crimped it a little and pushed it back together. The quad never gave me a bit of trouble again.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys for the replys!!!
the electical is fine---lots of spark--all the time.
I havn't pulled the reed cage out yet, but I'm thinking this is the next step?
I'm sure it is flooding---it just has to be!
My son races dirtbikes--he has for 6 years---we have had like 5 diff. dirtbikes in that time and NEVER has something this wierd happen to us!

I'm 100% Arctic Cat when it comes to snowmobiles, But I should NEVER have bought this atv. I guess Arctic Cat took the "cheap" way out and sold these import atv's. This is not the only problem that I have had to deal with. My 2 girls are very sad. I'm tired of spending all my "extra time" on the atv!

Oh well........a sucker born every day.

Any Cat 90cc guys out there that want to do a comp.test on there atv? Mine is at 90lbs--I have been told that it should be fine. What is yours?

Again, thanks for reading my problems and spending the time to reply!!!

Gerald.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Did you ever notice that the oil pumps at about a 10 to 1 ratio instead of 32/40 to 1 as well thats just one of the intake problems of the intake system of these bikes. Bad choke,bad oil inj system,bad float needle=bad carb. Wait till you see the reeds are made of spring steel. In most all the minis replacing with boyesen or similar fiber reeds is needed for good perf/starting as well.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

If you suspect the electric choke, have you unplugged it and tried starting?

Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes........I have..........still no fire. I know that hate is a strong word, but..........that A/C is really getting me angry.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

What was the results of my test on the previous page?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Old thread resurrection,
Man does this sound familiar to me. I would've loved to have heard "the rest of the story".
Can't wait to get my new stator, hopefully all will be well with AC quad #2.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Mine lives! Bad stator.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

You guys should really move up to the 4-stroke versions, which started in 2006. My daughter got a 200 Ac DVX50 back then, and it was and still is a fantastic machine. Very powerful, very reliable, and very sturdy. We then sold it to a neighbour (whose kids like it better than their bigger machines!), and upgraded to the 90, which is also amazing (and has the same chassis, but with a headlight). Then, my daughter upgraded to the new AC 150 (which is a utility-style quad), which has an electronic display, high and low beams, and mechanical gears. This one is the most amazing of all, and all the neighbours, visitors and the like want to drive it. (We kept the 90 for visitors kids as well, and it runs like a top.)

The smaller quads are all well- built and made for Arctic Cat by Kymco, which is a good company out of Taiiwan (NOT mainland China), and of course 4-strokes are not stinky like 2-strokes.

The only thing is, don't abuse the batteries, which is very easy to do!

P.S. the 90 and 50 have automatic chokes, so DON"T touch the throttle when starting it, or you will kick off the choke and then...