Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

150MKII on the way

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150MKII on the way

Finally decided on the 150MKII for the daughter. Just ordered from Raceway, no word yet if theyre in stock yet or still out. Planning on ordering wheel spacers right away from Speedtrap, wondering if anybody has experience putting them on front only vs front and back. My thought is to get the front close to as wide or wider than back to eliminate any tendancy to tip forward while stopping or going down a dune. My Predator sits wider in front w/Sand Stars on it and is pretty stable. Also planning on ordering rear paddles right away, probably 20x11x8's, which should be just a little taller and wider than stock so will be increasing rear width just a hair already.

Been reading posts on previous experiences re; tranny and carb failures, and battery through the case, hoping for none of those. Got it on the Locktite, planning that too. Saw a few on air filter and exhaust improvements, mostly on the Yamoto 150. Wondering if anybody has put the Uni or K&N on the MKII, and/or the universal exhuast. Or any other performance tips. Has anybody had the clutches or springs or whatever is in the CVT replaced/redone for performance improvement? Heard just a little about doing that.

I will update on my experience with receiving and using the MKII. Any tips on assembly or otherwise in the meantime while I await arrival would be greatly appreciated. Great forum and thanks for all the great info to this point.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

AND, anybody that has the 150 would you mind posting the bolt pattern (I hope its in the owners manual?) so I can get the wheels/tires on the way. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

It has a three bolt pattern, I'd recommend leaving off the lock washer and only putting on the bolt and the flat washer. The lock washer pushes the bolt out past the end of the threads so the bolt doesn't screw completely on, I think this is a safety issue. Add some locktite if you want and the torque range is 50-55 metric, I'd go with 50 as too much torque could strip the threads on those lugs.

Others may have better or different ideas,

Good luck, I love my two and so do my kids that ride them!

Old 04-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. I should have been more specific. I need the bolt pattern measurement, like 3/90, 3/96, or 3/120. Something like that. Need to see if I can get aftermarket wheels for it. Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Predtldrider,

I have a set of wheel spacers if you are interested. They are off of my sons 110. Drop me a PM .

Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

I've been happy with my Dingo 150 (same engine/tranny). You've probably heard this before, but shift to reverse or forward while not completely stopped seems to be the biggest problem for trannys. I'd be nervous about a kid not coming to a complete stop, but I'll probably be buying a MKII for my daughter too, so I guess I need to get used to the idea. The other thing my dealer said was that riding through deep water that gets into that breather is also a problem for the tranny. He suggested ducting it up.

I think you'll be happy with the MKII and the nice thing it will haul around adults pretty well too.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Anybody on the bolt pattern measurement for 150MKII?

Old 04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The front bolt pattern is the same as the Suzuki and Kawasaki lt80. It is 3/120. Honda and Yamaha use 3/100 pattern. I am 99% sure that they use the suzuki pattern.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Range Rover

Thanks!! Appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Range Rover

UPDATE / I received the MKII from Raceway and was satisifed with it. Pretty easy to assemble, wheels and tires and it started right up. I changed the oils right away and was happy with its performance. I installed spacers from Speedtrap although I thought it was pretty stable already. The bike looked nice, appeared of decent quality and I was pretty happy with it, especially for the money. My daughter, whom I bought it for, was also very happy with it.

Then I took it to the dunes. I rode it first and right away the front end was WAY squirrelly, major bump steer, yanked the handlebars out of my hands. So I removed from the front spacers and that helped. I let my daughter ride it and it remained pretty squirrelly, any significant bumps and I could see the front end pulling side to side. As she hit the bottom of a hill the front end would turn one way or the other immediately. The kids had developed a "track" in the sand and if she hit the burm with a front tire it would spin her around. I rode it and experienced the same thing, to a lesser degree but there none the less. I was, however, very impressed with every other aspect of the bike, and this little bike pulled me (215 pounds) up some decent dunes. The bump steer was a problem. I actually installed some heavy rubber bungees to the tie rod ends as a steering stabilzer and that helped a little more, but still there and still unacceptable.

Upon returning from the trip I was able to get a hold of John at Raceway. He stated he had never heard of this happening, but suggested I check the front end for looseness, and he was absolutely willing to make good any bad parts. I was not able to locate any significant loose front end parts, and my conclusion is the front end is just of poor design. I think the quad is fine, and I would recommend it, on semi soft surfaces, but I wouldnt recommend it for very soft riding surfaces such as in the sand. I need to say I am satisified with Raceway's handling of the matter, I think John was willing to do whatever was needed to make the quad right and that is commendable for an internet dealer. I will do business there again. But I think the best thing for me to do is sell this quad and get something else, as we ride a lot in the dunes. So it is for sale.

Which brings me to my next venture. I am considering the Unison 150, or the Unison 90 from Raceway. John tells me the 90 doesnt have power of the MKII, but does have a better suspension. Ive read the reviews here and everybody with one seems satisifed. Just wondering if anybody has experience with the 90 and/or 150 in the sand, and any other comments on the bike(s). Im hoping to get it with reverse so any experience with that would also be appreciated. If not the Unison, I will probably go E-Ton. Thanks for the info.