Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

You want a real review between Chinese and Big 4??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You want a real review between Chinese and Big 4??

I bought my 7 year old a Kymco 50........Bought my 10 year old a brand new Yammy Raptor 80

We rode all day Saturday and Sunday.

1st major water crossing............Yammy stuck............Kymco passes on the outside.
2nd water crossing...........Yammy air box full of water.......Kymco passes on the inside
After alot more water....Yammy brakes dont work.........kymco running strong

Deep sloppy mud......Yammy stuck minimum of 20 times in the soupy stuff.....Kymco MAYBE 5 times all weekend

Yammy lost a couple misc. nuts/bolts............Kymco lost nothing

Yammy cold natured as hell

Kymco......start and go

I actually feel foolish for buying a $2500.00 Yammy.....I should have went with my gut and bought him the Kymco 90 for alot less $$

Just finished powerwashing the rigs.....on lowpressure setting....Every decal on the Raptor blown off.......All decals in place on the Kymco

Had to dump the air box and bleed carb bowl after power washing Yammy (full of water)
Kymco start do a little donut and pull into the garage

Who would have thunk it?

Old 06-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

Jeff1216,
How did that Kymco do for power? How about on the low end? Does it have lights? How much did you fork over for it? I've never heard of it and am intrigued by the 4stroke cvt. I looked on thier web page (http://www.kymco.co.uk/welcome.html) and couldn't find any real spec's on it. Have you seen any in your travels? More detail would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kymco 50 is a 2 stroke.

I've heard the 90 lacks low-end compared to the 2-strokes.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

I looked a bit closer at the usa website with Kymco and they have more info re: specs.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Kymco makes good stuff, sounds like your yamaha is a real lemon. Well you already paid for it so you better modify it to overcome its shortcomings.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

My SP 90 is not so great on the low end either. I have to push my son up the ramp on the trailer if he starts without a run at it. The top end of the 2stroke is great, but I wonder how close the two are in reality. I need to go find one and ride it. I have to go two hours to find a dealer near me.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Psycmike
My SP 90 is not so great on the low end either. I have to push my son up the ramp on the trailer if he starts without a run at it. The top end of the 2stroke is great, but I wonder how close the two are in reality. I need to go find one and ride it. I have to go two hours to find a dealer near me.
Mine wasn't great in stock form either. After the mods, I've ridden up the ramp into the bed of my Ram a couple of times. Not sure I could get that type of power from a 4 stroke.

Not knocking Kymco by any means. They seem like nice quads. Got to see a 250 up close the other week. Looked really nice.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Kymco machines are becoming increasingly popular in Europe. I have read a lot of good reviews of them and see an increasing number outside dealers. They also sell 250 class machines in both sport and utility flavours, with a 300cc shaft drive utility on the way and rumours of a 500cc utility machine in development.

Bear in mind that the average household income in Europe is probably about half what it is in the US and also bear in mind that the big name quads cost about double what you pay for them (making them 4 times the price in comparison to earnings) and you can understand why european consumers are willing to take the risk and go with a Chinese / Taiwanese machine. For many it's the only viable option - it's Chinese or nothing.

Stuart