Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Hetrick vs. WRH Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hetrick vs. WRH Exhaust

Who makes the better exhaust?

What should be the first step in a engine upgrade? (exhaust, clutch, carb, intake???????)

Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are very nice but I could not fit my battery under the seat with a Hetrick style exhaust. Billy's got one that will.

And yes.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many say the external air filter, pipe and clutch upgrades are the best bang for the dollar. If you upgrade the pipe, many performance dealers recommend a clutch upgrade as well. Most say "it's mandatory". For air filter, you can go with K&N, uni filter or other open foam filters. Do remember to also use the appropriate air filter outer wear as well. Some even dip an old sock in air filter oil and use it for really dusty or wet conditions. I've been told that one can simply throw away the old sock and installs its matching sock. LOL!!! But, I've been told it does work....

If you do upgrade the air filter and pipe, you'll need to re-jet the carb as well. If you are running a small carb (say 16mm or even 18mm), some performance consultants might recommend upgrading to a 20mm carb. It all depends on the brand of mini and the size of its stock carb.

Not too sure who has a better pipe. I've read that both are excellent pipes. Wonder if you could ask each of they could send you their dyno chart readings. Hopefully, the dyno readings were performed on the "exactly the same" mini by a 3rd party evaluation team. Thus, you can compare the two pipes yourself.

If you are doing these external upgrades, you may also want to consider replacing the mini's stock cylinder, head and piston with a properly tuned performance kit. Bigger piston, lighter cylinder, more compression, ported, dome head, etc. Thus, getting much more "bang" out of the air filter, pipe and clutch upgrades. As a suggestion, contact each performance dealer and inquire if they can give you a financial discount on their "bundled" performance kits. If I remember correctly, WRH calls their bundles "Warp" kits.

If you do upgrade the mini's "power house", do remember to upgrade its suspension as well. No use turning your mini into "a rocket" and the young rider can't hang onto it. Wider on the front and better shocks "all round" can give it much better steering and rough bump control.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used both pipes. They are both good and make good hp. Both of these pipes will need some other mods like clutching, possibly carb etc. I would call and ask to speak to Billy at WRH or Rich Hetrick personally and tell them what bike. Battery box mods and Oil injection removal may also be needed on the good pipes due to their size under seat. Our WRH pipe is louder than our Hetrick pipe and that may be a factor for you as well? WRH works better for us on the bigbore 109cc motor by far.