Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Electrical testing / Troubleshooting - need your help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical testing / Troubleshooting - need your help...

Last Fall, the external Ignition coil blew on our '03 Pred-90. Didn't know how to diagnose this problem, and my local Honda / Small engine dealer charged me "big bucks" to fix this problem.

Last Spring, the stator blew on our '03 Pred-90. Billy Holt at WRH Racing helped me diagnose and fix this problem. With his assistance, I was able to create an online information package for others. For details, surf the many pictures within: http://community.webshots.com/album/262582347LVsyKh

Since posting these Stator Testing pictures, a few have asked me how to test / troubleshoot their external Ignition Coil and possible CDI problems. In this area, I have very little knowledge. Other then the info I find in simular manuals. Asking people to "swap out parts" to isolate the fault doesn't work if they don't have access to a simular Pred-90.

To help others (and myself - if we loose Spark again), I'm in the midst of building another online information package. Although written for our '03 Pred-90, its info may also apply to other 2 stroke systems.

For a look-see of what I built this morning, surf: http://community.webshots.com/album/466005413VYDflV

If you are an expert in testing external ignition coils and/or CDIs, please review these online pictures and advise what can be improved / corrected. Once built and finalized, this online info will help many others. And, get our young riders back onto their mini's seat.

Many thanks.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You da man spike!
Your a real asset to this site!

Thanks
Roman

Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fabulous information Thanks for your efforts..I am just looking at a charging problem on a 2002 scrambler and have found a difference to your electrical test in that the black lead is earthed in the stator and the AC outputs are also present in relation to the black wire at a fast idle and no 26v ac black to frame. is there a differance to the predator as I thought all these motors were interchangable? keep up the great work..OOps Could I also ask how the rubber insert on the shock has worked out over time ?..cheers

Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Nice info spike99! I want to use this but I just need some clarification on the pictures. I am having some trouble understanding where the meter readings are taken from. On the "Stator Output Ignition Coil Readings" am I correct that " A" - BL/R to WH/R "B" - BL/R to Ground "C" - WH/R to Ground for the readings?
"For Stator Outut Power Generation Coil Readings" I am more confused. I know I am just missing something obvious. Can you help me out?