Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel?

I would like to use a snorkel setup on my sons Eton 90 and would like to know if anyone has made one for the Eton or similar quad?

It does have a 20mm carb kit with a uni-filter. The filter placement (above the tire) scares me every time my sons gets close to a puddle. He knows not to hit the water but when were trail riding there are a few spots with no way around.

If I could get some help on the best type of hose to use I would appreciate it.

Will this affect the jetting?

Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Snorkel?

For view a custom snokel, surf:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92389209vbjDzv

http://www.drrinc.com/airfilter.jpg

In the past, I've read about others using steel, rubber, PVC and other materials for "forward facing" piping. To me, these pictures show a "quick change" without major expense. Others have stated that an inverted carb intake, carb facing backwards and an an airbox (or custom filter) fitted where its O/I tank area used to be is the best configuration for water / crud.

If one changes their air filter and/or piping distance then by definition, air flow characteristics are changed. Depending on the degree of change, re-jeting is required or only tweaking (re: adjusting its throttle needle's C-Clip) is required. If you've re-jetted for a custom air filter and installed a 6" long bent pipe afterwards, then "possibly" only C-Clip changes are required. It all depends on how much remaining C-Clip adjustment is remaining and how much "air flow" drag is within the material that is used.

Hope this helps....

Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Snorkel?

Turn 3 we run a radiator hose that has a 90 degree bend and a 45 degree bend about 6 inches from the 90.... the end nearest the 90 deg. is attached to the carb and starts to bend upward 3-4 inches from the carb then the other end with the 45 deg. bend puts a uni pod filter with outer wears right up under the front plastic near the handlebar clamp. The pod filter is attached to the hose with clamps with a small piece of metal tube inside to keep the hose from squashing. I bought the hose at napa two years ago dont remember the #. I should have posted this long ago but we were able to run in some real muck at CC races and was being stingy with the info....Keeps the filter REALLY clean..Hope this helps

Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkel?

Turn 3

There on the right track with the radiator hose thing. But the filter is still out in the open. I built our system and it is race proven. My son races cross country. He can run up a creek bed pinned wide open and his quad will never skip a beat. I to will not post this information over the net. But if you wish I can pm you my phone # and I will be gladl to talk to you. If it wasn't for this air system, he wouldn't have just won the GNCC national championship in the 70 class. Because the last 2 races he won quads were dieing everywhere.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snorkel?

Sure thing, if you're sure you wanna give out the info just pm me.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Snorkel?

Do you think you could email it to me as well? My son runs a Vipor 70 and this would be a hugh help.
My email address is scott.zmuda@verizon.net
Thanks a lot!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snorkel?

My boy races a Polaris 90 in XC races and we went with the Hetrick airbox. Well worth the money and a great design.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Snorkel?

Did you need to re-jet or was a bolt and go?

Old 11-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snorkel?

Hetricks recommend up 2 on the main and 1 on the pilot. I ended up with a 128 main and a 60 pilot.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Snorkel?

I wa son the Hetrick site looking at the different air intakes. Which one did you go with? Is it the Aluminum Kasea Skyhawk airbox? Also, did you change your carb? I noticed many advertisments for 20 - 28 mm carbs. The stock carb on the Eton 70 is an 18mm.
One last question, is your son running grip guards? If so, where did you get them? I have been looking for mini's and have only found 1 or 2 styles, neither of which I really like. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Snorkel?