Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris Predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:35 AM
ssa
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Predator 90

edited by ATV Connection Moderator

Old 12-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forums guys.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

have a 05 dale earnhardt 90cc predator with the reverse. Bought it for $1900 with 1 hour on it from a local. Got it for my 11 year old daughter who moved up from a 50cc Lem quad.

she loves the electric start and the reverse. (daddy dosent have to pull her out of tight spots) It is big enough that I ride it in a pinch. Our farm is pretty dry most of the year with occasional water right now in rainy season. She ran it for a hour straight bouncing through water puddles last Saturday with no issues. Her brother on his sundiro 90 had issues after 30 minutes and his quad died.

I like the electric start, forward and reverse, adjustable rpm CDI box, brakes are pretty good, plus 5 inches of suspension travel front and rear. It is a real sharp looking quad also.

future mods will be lights and probably wheel spacers very soon.

Perhaps in a couple of years i might add a pipe and jet kit but for now it is perfect for her.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

i bought an 03 predator 90 for my son for Christmas, i was dissapointed that they had no headlights , i found a kit that polaris is selling from Parker Yamaha on the web for around $80 the kit is great and easy to install but don't see how they justify the price, the problem is the lights were only 5 watt (194 style) bulbs,which wasn't much brighter than holding a candle in front of the quad, so i did some research and found i could increase wattage without affecting the stator, but i didn't want to push it, i replaced the 5 watt mini bulb with a 12v 7watt larger bulb, same base, available at any hardware store, (they are used for low voltage landscaping lights). I could not believe how much brighter they were, it really made a huge difference, my son could actually see were he is going now.
I also didn't like the fact that there was a brake light but no running tailight, after some investigating found that the brake light (which houses a double element 1157 type bulb, for what reason i cannot figure out, since it's wired to only use one element of the bulb). i also found out that it's wired with reverse polarity, another words there is power going to the light all the time and when the brake lever is pulled it supplies a ground so the bulb lights. i figured out a VERY EASY way to adapt a running tail light without much agravation at all, i picked up a rubber mounted (194 bulb style) socket from Auto zone, drilled a hole just big enough, right aside of the center bulb and pushed the rubber mounted socket in place, tied my positive lead to the light blue wire feeding the existing bulb power, then grounded the black to the frame. WALA a running taillight, works like a champ. I'd be glad to answer any questions, i hope this may help someone.

Oh yeah, I've read a lot of complaints about boken welds and guess what? found one, glad it's minor
and also read that they are made by Eton, Yes Chinese. don't know about any of you but i try to buy American, i was pissed of to hear that.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

My daughter had an E-Ton 90 for a year and 1/2. It was a great quad. My only issue was suspension and after market accesories as there are none. No nurf bars, spacer, pipes, nothing and most places wont even do the regular maintenance on them. January 2007 I bought her the pred 90 and we can already see the difference. The overall size is only about two inches different and after some research I found that the motor is an E-Ton motor. My suggestion, just by-pass the E-Ton for a softer and safer ride.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vicci
My daughter had an E-Ton 90 for a year and 1/2. It was a great quad. My only issue was suspension and after market accesories as there are none. No nurf bars, spacer, pipes, nothing and most places wont even do the regular maintenance on them. January 2007 I bought her the pred 90 and we can already see the difference. The overall size is only about two inches different and after some research I found that the motor is an E-Ton motor. My suggestion, just by-pass the E-Ton for a softer and safer ride.

Nothing but bad information here not too mention the original post is two years old!....You can buy tons of aftermarket parts for the etons,certainly anything you can buy for a predator you can buy for a viper and some of the parts even interchange...The engines are very similar(as most cvt mini's are) but they are not the same..They have a different bore and stroke carburetor etc and are not built by the same manufacturer...

Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

While I was at the Snowmobile/ATV show here in Toronto a couple of moths ago, I spoke to the engineer who helped design the new (pink) Polaris 90, which I had thought was a Predator but which does not show up as a 90 on the Polaris web site (only as a 50).

But, is it true that they use Eton parts?

Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: check
While I was at the Snowmobile/ATV show here in Toronto a couple of moths ago, I spoke to the engineer who helped design the new (pink) Polaris 90, which I had thought was a Predator but which does not show up as a 90 on the Polaris web site (only as a 50).

But, is it true that they use Eton parts?
When you say "design", he likely just did the body panels. The Polaris 50 and 90's are AlphaSport products - simply rebadged. I got an AlphaSport 50 for my son for considerably less than the Polaris dealer wanted for the Polaris branded machine. It is an okay machine but nothing like the Honda 90 I just got for him.

For my money I'll find a slightly used Honda anyday over buying an AlphaSport (Polaris) again.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hello and welcome to the forum! My daughter has a 05 Predator 90. She raced 80 races this past season and not one breakdown! We ended up having another machine built for her and we stuck with the Predator 90 (except it is an 06) because of the great luck we have had with it in the past.

Don't be alarmed by the remarks by kkahne about the durability of the machine. It is a common complaint by a lot of people, but what people don't realize is that stock quads (of any brand) ARE NOT BUILT TO RACE. If you race and/or jump any stock quad, you are going to come into all kinds of frame and suspension problems. The stock machines are made for trail riding (with no jumping.)

Although racing quads is fun, unfortunately it is expensive too. If you are just trail riding, the stock Polaris 90 will be a great choice! If you want to race her on it, you can start her on a stock one until she gets the feel of it. Then when she wants more speed and starts jumping, then you can purchase the mods needed to accomodate her level of riding. Aftermarket parts are available for this machine. There are several places that offer the suspension, nerf bars, engine mods and more! We use Hetrick Racing at www.hetrickracing.com

I think you will be very pleased with the Predator 90. It has been nothing but a great machine for us. That is why we purchased another. My review is based on a 2 stroke machine. If you are considering the new 4-stroke Predator 90, I do not know anything about the dependability of it.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Blazer25
Hello and welcome to the forum! My daughter has a 05 Predator 90. She raced 80 races this past season and not one breakdown!
That's hard to argue with! Racing is VERY hard on equipment.

Quick Reply: Polaris Predator 90