Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

CDI for '06 AC 90????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI for '06 AC 90????

Hello everyone!!!

I just purchased an Arctic Cat DVX 90 for my kids for Xmas. This was my first new ATV purchase and I didn't ride it before I bought it. (uh oh!) I was disappointed in the performance with the rev limiter and transmission spacer but, I know I'm at the right place to fix that!

First question:
1. When I remove the case on the transmisson to take out the spacer, will it be filled with oil and is that nut that I have to remove "backwards" threaded?

2. Does anyone have a lead on a new CDI box for this 90 that will get rid of the rev limiter? (I've emailed a few sites that say not yet, maybe in the spring.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM
ssa
Weekend Warrior

edited by ATV Connection Moderator

Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Is'nt your 06 Cat a 4 stroke? If so I thought they were a honda clone motor like the other 50,70,90,110 asian minis. I havent seen a 06 DVX. It should be altogether different than what your talking about with the revlimiter/trans spacer etc. if a 4 stroke. If you read the older posts for the arctic cat 90 they were probably talking about 2 strokes.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is a four stroke. We have 20 year old Suzuki 50 that is 2 stroke that the kids have outgrown. (Kind of look like Shriners on it.) I liked the idea of the four stroke and the CVT on the Arctic Cat. I'll sacrifice the power band of a 2 stroke for the reliability of a four stroke.

Would the transmission spacer and rev limiter still apply?

It does have to rev up a considerable amout before the transmisson begins to pull and you can definately feel the rev limiter kick in when you try to wind it out. The power is there and growing but then the engine stumbles at the limiter.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

My boy has the 05 and all you have to do is pull the side cover off, be carefull not to damage the gasket, remove the nut on the front clutch with an impact as that is nothing to hold on to. Remove the spacer and now you will have some top end. One other thing to do is remove the exhaust end piece and you will see it has a small inner pipe, remove it to let the exhaust breath. No information on a CDI but if you find something please post and let us know.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

You do not need to replace the CDI. There are 2 green wires coming out
of the CDI box. All you need to do is clip the correct green wire.
I am pretty sure its the green one coming out of the 4 wire connector.
I will check when I get home.

Also, the spacer you remove is NOT in the front it is on the rear clutch.
You will need a clutch press or something to compress the spring to get it apart.

And for future reference the speed limitations on kids ATV's is set in stone.
Any kid atv you buy will have the same limitation on it!!

badvox

Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: badvox
Also, the spacer you remove is NOT in the front it is on the rear clutch.
You will need a clutch press or something to compress the spring to get it apart. badvox
The spacer I removed was from the FRONT clutch or drive clutch or the one towards the front of the bike as instructed by the manual. Have the manual sitting right in front of me?????Have never heard of any limiter in the rear clutch. Is there one???

Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2006 AC DVX 50 and I have been looking for the same limiter fixes. I know that the 50 and 90 seem to have the same limiters, at least they did in previous years. I have contacted many dealers and users and I have yet to find a fix. I have the old directions to remove the carb and clutch limiters. The 2006 does not have a carb limiter and I have been told by the factory that the ONLY limiter on the 2006 is electronic (CDI box). I have not checked for the clutch limiter on the 2006, I have not heard of anyone actually finding one and removing it and it making a difference. Did you remove yours and did it make a difference? I am really impressed with the AC 50, very well built and it has power like no other I have seen, but it is 50% slower than other similarilly sized models. I am looking to just speed it up a little. If you get any answers on your CDI box or any other limiters, please let me know.

alfredd@ads-sw.com

Old 12-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: accwiz
I have a 2006 AC DVX 50 and I have been looking for the same limiter fixes. I know that the 50 and 90 seem to have the same limiters, at least they did in previous years. I have contacted many dealers and users and I have yet to find a fix. I have the old directions to remove the carb and clutch limiters. The 2006 does not have a carb limiter and I have been told by the factory that the ONLY limiter on the 2006 is electronic (CDI box). I have not checked for the clutch limiter on the 2006, I have not heard of anyone actually finding one and removing it and it making a difference. Did you remove yours and did it make a difference? I am really impressed with the AC 50, very well built and it has power like no other I have seen, but it is 50% slower than other similarilly sized models. I am looking to just speed it up a little. If you get any answers on your CDI box or any other limiters, please let me know.

alfredd@ads-sw.com
On your 50 look at the CDI. Is there a looped green wire coming out of it? It would not be connected
to the regular connectors but in a loop on the side of the box. If there is clip it. You should clip it right
in the middle so you can connect back together if need be.

badvox

Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

I am not in front of the ATV right now, but look at the site:

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/fr...0Y-6Youth-DVX/

it has a diagram of the CDI. It may not exactly correct, but I do not see any sire that it not a part of the wiring assembly coming out of the CDI box. Will it be the ONLY green wire coming out of the CDI box?