Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

please help!!!! sunl 90cc trouble son dying to ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!!! sunl 90cc trouble

Hi, i recently purchased a sunl 90cc for my son for christmas. first question, on the tires there is the dust protector, i cant get them to stay on. is the silver metal ring you put on before the bolts when putting tires on suppose to have the lip facing in or out. also, I cant keep it running. i purchased it brand new in the crate. I hooked the battery up, have the rear brake lock on, have the red switch on, choke on, and still i get it going and if i let off the throttle it shuts down. if i keep the throttle on it runs really hard and shakes, and has smoke coming out of exhaust. and eventully shuts down on its own. Im a newly single mom just trying to make my son happy, dont know much about these.All my son wants to do is ride his cool christmas present and cant. I feel awful. dont know what to do. please share your insight!!!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please help!!!! sunl 90cc trouble son dying to ride

I bought a 70cc Sunl for my daughter.

IIRC, the lip is out. On either the front or rear there is only one way they will go on without the lip being crushed, when you bolt the tire on. So, the way that keeps it from being crushed is the right way. The dust caps have stayed on ours tho they are easy to pop off by hand. If you cant make them stay on, try putiting silcone rtv or adhesive caulk on them first. Make sure to use the cotter pins when you bolt the tires on.

As far as the running problem, it just sounds like the carb needs adjusting. Since it runs somewhat, crank it and get the engine to warm up. Pop the left side plate off to access the carb. There are two small screws on the left side of the carb. The larger of the two with the spring is the idle speed screw. The smaller one that is at a slight angle and to the left of the idle screw is the fue/air mixture screw.

You should be able to get your idle higher with the idle screw so that you can get the engine smoothed out with the mixture screw. Make small adjustments, and remember where you started.

My daughter's ran just as you describe upon assemblly. It took just a bit with the screws to make it pur like a kitten.

Rodney

Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

first of all remember these are automatics,so get a block of wood like a 4x4 and place under the back brake and chain guard to raise the wheels off the ground before attemting to run or work on it, then try to start it and keep it running, it might be just the gel needs to be cleaned out in the carburator, we have two one 70cc one 90cc, the 70 ran great from the get go, the 90 needed to be run for around 30 minutes before it started to run like it should without any carb adjustments, also the 70 doesn't have the dust caps, the 90 does, lips go on the outside,like stated before easy removed by hand,sofar hasn't fallen off. also after starting the quad take the brake off let the wheels spin it should stay running and after a few minutes it should quit smoking also.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your insight, believe it or not my dad who is a manager at goodyear tires put the lip on the inside, i thought it was wrong. well i fixed that. quad wont even turn over. fully charged. the dealer i got it from said it may be the battery because when they are stored the neg is hooked up and can somtimes drain the battery. so hes going to send out a new one. my son did ride for about 5 minutes on christmas, it started right up no problems, was very quiet. cant get it going since then. light is dim when i turn it on so im praying its only the battery. i just want it fixed. can do the adjustments you said cause it wont start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] thanks again. i really do appreciate your timely response.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

any idea how to keep the pull plug on back with string from falling off? is there a easy way to disconnect this completly?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

just cut the string off and leave it, also if you have a 2 amp battery charger ,you can charge the battery in about 30 minutes with it, that will get the atv started and should beable to ride it.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

chrissyrod,

The battery is fine. The batter charger that comes with the ATV is junk. Throw it away. Get a good automtive battery charger and set it for a 2 amp charge. Charge the battery for about 3 hours and it makes all the difference in the world.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey bill, the black rubber piece keeps popping off, i know i can cut string but the rubber piece will still pop off. how do you get it to stay on?

Old 12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

follow the wires back about 6 inchs and disconnect it there. just unplug it.. that's what I did to mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks , just simply unplug it? this wont affect anything else with the quad? its the white plugs that connect eachother right? just pull them too apart?

Quick Reply: please help!!!! sunl 90cc trouble son dying to ride