Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help choosing a little man ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing a little man ATV.

I have tried searching several different ways. I spoke to a guy a few weeks ago about a mini four wheeler. I don't remember the brand but it was equipped with a remote kill switch stock and was supposedly infinately adjustable at the governor. I have a 3 yoa going on 4 yoa. I would like something equipped similarly and would like any recommendations you have to offer. I know that I could add any of these options to whatever I buy, but I would like to buy it as original equipment. Thanks for your replies, I would like to hear your personal experiences with different brands.

Edited to add: Prefer a four-stroke. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I believe the 50cc Dinli has a remote cut off. I'm talking about a real wireless remote, not a teathered kill switch like most.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

the sunl 50-90 also has remote start and kill switch, also can turn down thottle as with most quads this size, don't buy a kazuma 50, they're to small and kids outgrow them after a few months, also the sunl has a automatic transmission which is great for a kid this age. price runs around $500.00 for the 50, the 70 sells around $580, the 90 is about $650.00, the 90 is the same size as the 50, the 90 is also built better than the 50 and 70,has boxed swing arm not tube like the 50-70,also the front steering linkage is about twice the size of the 50-70. theirs more, you can tunr the thottle down on all 3 quads but i think for longevity the 90 the best buy.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would not recommend buying a 90 and de-tuning it. You are asking for trouble with both the law and insurance and general ethics. Start him out with a powerwheels, and go from there.

I'm ususally not the safety guy, but 3 going on 4 is not a good idea for a gas quad. 5 yo maybe, but not 3.

Anyway, the Alpha-sports is a really small fitting quad, and its very releiable with good re-sale amrket.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

not de-turning it ,just limiting the thottle control, has nothing to do with ethics or insurance. if the 90 same size as the 50 and can limit the thottle i see no reason not to buy the 90. may be your way of thinking he should stick with a peddal quad? we gave our grandkids 50cc kazuma when they were 4 and 5, out grew them real quick, the 4 year old has a lot of talent when riding,now he's 6 and we gave him the 90cc and the 70cc is the 7 year old, the 90cc is so much better made than the 50 or 70 and the price isn't that much more, i would have brought them both 90 's if only i knew at the time.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know alot of people are going to be against your question but my 4yo rides a 50cc meerkat. It is the smallest atv in size) you can get. He drives a sportsman power wheels and I moded it this past summer. It does about 15mph. I have alot of field that my older son rides in but the power wheels wont last very long in the fields for my younger one to ride on. So I opted to get him the 50cc meerkat and it is cut back to about 10mph. He has been around atv's since born, he is bigger than most 4yo in his class and drives it very well. The meerkat is actually smaller in size than the powerwheels but has room to grow for at least 2 yrs. I was going to wait till he was 5 but I just could not stand seeing him standing at the edge of the field watching everyone else ride. He wears a helmet , chest guard and boots. It does not go fast enough or turn tight enough to tip. ANd he only rides in the field where there is no trees or anything to hit. He only rides with me there watching and once in the yard he is back on the powerwheels. I would say 3 going on 4 is young and he should be very mature for his age. If you look on ebay there is real electric atv's for kids that work very well and last a long time on a single charge. Just look under 50cc atv and the electric ones will pop up.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

Sunl is the way to go. Little guys can ride them and 10 year olds can enjoy them too. They even have enough power to haul dad around. I do not see the logic in buying an automatic though. The autos are not CVT, they are just single speed. Why not get a 4 speed and just leave it in first? Then when they get faster, leave it in 2nd, then teach them how to shift. Buying an automatic will keep dad from having as much fun on it too.

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's concerns about my son's age and wanting to start him on a gasser. Really, I understand completely. We have done the electric thing over the last year, and as stated by 2manytoys, I also need one that will at least run in the grass or mowed field. The plan would be to govern the thing down at first to where it would barely pull itself and open it up as he is ready, slowly letting him getting used to the controls and just being on the thing. Slowly transitioning from the battery powered one to the gasser. Trust me, his mother wouldn't have it any other way. Safety is the primary concern. He is a good sized kid and fits the minis pretty well. I have friends that have used a similar progression with their own children who ride just as good as I do, and they are about 6 yoa, similar to what billl2099's grandkids have apparently done. If I get one and it just is not going to work, I can park it until he is ready. I probably won't buy one for several more months anyway, I saw a little boy on one yesterday and it just got me thinking. So, I have thought of all of these issues and I fully understand what I am getting into. With that being said, if you still find me reckless and irresponsible I would rather not turn this into a flame thread. I started this thread looking for information. However, I do appreciate the advice. Those who have a mini, keep posting please. Thanks, Rick.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I'm not usually the one talking safety. The problem with the 90 is you can't really throttle it down too far. The power is still there, even with the screw turned all the way in. I have the 95 automatic SunL, and I love it. Just not for a 4 year old.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Kazooooma, the fact that the automatics are single speed is the kind of info I am looking for. I don't know squat about the little ones. That's good advice on the gear progression. This will be my first time bringing a little man into the sport and am trying to learn from others' experiences first. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Help choosing a little man ATV.