Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What could be on when everything is off??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be on when everything is off??

My Redcat KMZ 150 keeps sucking the battery dry. Got a brand new battery a couple of weeks ago and if not ridden for a couple of days the thing is dead as a door nail. Got two of these so I switched the batteries and she fires right up. Anyone know what could cause the battery to drain just setting there. Key switch and kill switch are both off but somewhere in there, there is a gremlin leaving the lights on. Any suggestions on what to look for, and is everything on these atv's 12vdc?
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It could be a bad battery itself. I have had problems with cheap batteries before where the plates inside the battery will break apart and at that point they wont do crap. Return the battery if it is possible.
One possibility...... or test for a draw on the battery....I need to wake up first, then I'll remember how to test for the draw [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Mike,

This actually is the second battery as I returned the first one hoping I just got a bad one. Sure wish a guy could get a wiring diagram for these things. Would make troubleshooting a whole lot easier. Think I'll see if I can make up some kind of test light to see if I constantly drawing any current. If ya can come up with anything else please don't hesitate to hollar at me. By the way, I'm out here about 4 miles west of New Melle, MO. HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!

Jeff

Old 02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its posible the battery isnt charging, rather than discharging while sitting.
Hook up a voltmeter, you can get good cheap ones for 4 bucks from harbor frieght, and with the motor running, whats the voltage,.... then whats the voltage at 4000 rpm?
Then use the ampmeter side of the meter, and with the key off,and motor off, hook up the ampmeter in series with the positive cable on the battery. There should be almost no draw, and if there is, youll have to look for a short somewhere.
Hows the terminals on the cables and battery look? clean and shiney, and tight?

Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks will try to get out to the garage tonight and use a meter on it. Will post what I find when I'm done.

Jeff

P.S. Anyone got a procedure on valve adjustment on a Redcat 150 (Kazuma)???