Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006 | 09:41 PM
|
Range Rover
Default LT80 hard starting

Okay, I have searched the forums and think I have know the answer but I just want to double check. My daughters LT is hard to start, it seems to crank forever before it will start and I usually am playing with the choke and the throttle. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it and blew air thru everything. I checked the petcock and I get fuel in prime and while cranking I get fuel in the other positions. I changed the plug to the correct plug(previous owner had a colder and shorter plug installed). I pulled the air filter and it was nasty, so I tried to clean it but it fell apart. I will get a new one on tuesday because all the suzuki dealers in my area are closed on Mondays, go figure. Now I left the air filter out and still hard or shall I say long to start. Once it gets running it runs great and pretty strong. I am thinking low compression, and I will check it tommorrow. Now my other question, the famous oil injector pump. I have only run about 1 tank thru it since we got it and it seems to smoke a little. I asked the previous owner and he stated that it worked but that he added some oil to the gas anyways. Well when I put the carb back on I tried to crank the engine to check oil output and there was none. I removed the top of the pump and it was turning. I really like the oil injection but I am not opposed to mixing oil and gas as I do so for my 83 ATC 250R. I got the new rollers for the clutch but have yet to put them in as I have no manual yet(should be coming soon). Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject. Sorry for the long post but this thing seems to be alittle more complicated than the 250R and JR50. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02-12-2006 | 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

CARB: I'm thinking your pilot jet is slightly plugged or choke not working right. Did you take those out when you cleaned the carb? What position is your jet needle set at?

OIL INJECTION: I recently bought an '88 LT 80 (originally thought it was an '87) and my thinking was this.....if the oil injection pump is the original, how much longer will it last for ME?? So I disconnected it to be safe, plus I don't trust them. The fact your previous owner added oil to the gas kind of sounds like he didn't trust it either.

CLUTCH ROLLERS: I haven't done that yet.......

The LT-80's are intimidating at first, but they're pretty easy once you get to know your way around them. Hang in there.

Old 02-12-2006 | 11:37 PM
|
Range Rover

Okay, WeLuv2Ride I cleaned both jets real good. As for the pilot jet I soaked in carb cleaner and then blew a ton of air thru it. I put it up to the light and could see thru all the holes. Now I am not totally ruling that out as the bottom of the carb had a ton of varnish in it. I will probably get a carb kit for it in the next few days if the compression checks out. The needle clip is the next position from the top. If it is like my 250R that means leaning it out a little. Like I said I ran about half a tank of regular gas thru the motor but I added it to what was already in there and tonight I topped off with my 93 and yamalube that I use in my 250R. If I have to add premix I may just convert my boys JR50 over also so I can just have two gas cans with the same thing in it. Hey thanks for the info, all the info I get is helping me out. I may start my daughter out racing if that is something she is interested in. I guess time will tell.

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:43 PM
|
Range Rover

Well finally got the compression check done and as suspected the compression was at about 60 psi. Guess that means a rebuild. Really thinking about trading it in on a new one but not sure which one to get. Looking at the TRX90, LT80,KFX80 or the raptor80. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bummer, sorry to hear that.....a rebuild is cheaper than a new bike. <==that's my idea! You asked!

Old 02-16-2006 | 10:59 PM
|
Range Rover

I agree with that ,but I am really tired of rebuilding all the bikes. It started with my 83 ATC 250R which was a complete tear down and put back together. Then it was my sons JR50, which I am now trying to sell(got him an 06 CRF50) and now a 87 LT80 for my girl. It needs the cylinder done , new tires and a few other here and theres so I am really considering a new one to minimize the breakdowns. I have a little while to think about it though. Once again thanks for the help.

Old 02-17-2006 | 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Ok, so you trade it, what ya going to do when that one needs attention?
Your call dude! But whether it's a top end (which takes a few minutes to do) or maintenence, wrenching will never end.
Take a deep breath and give yourself a pat on the back. You'll be ok. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2006 | 12:58 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

Originally posted by: Irunwire
Well finally got the compression check done and as suspected the compression was at about 60 psi. Guess that means a rebuild. Really thinking about trading it in on a new one but not sure which one to get. Looking at the TRX90, LT80,KFX80 or the raptor80. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks for the help.
Don't do a trade in. put a few duckets into this one and have a great lil machine!

Old 02-17-2006 | 07:25 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks guys, I really do not want to trade up and really do not mind doing the work. I want my daughter to have the best product I can get her and I think she is a little jealous of my sons 06 Honda CRF50. If I decide to keep it then it is really going to get worked over after the top end. I plan on switching all the plastic to green as that is her fav color, plus a set of wheels and tires for both front and rear, then putting a pipe on it. Now for the questions, should I go with the wiseco piston or simply a suzuki piston and what about tires? I am looking at the shredders for the rear, but not real sure about the size to get, and probably something close to stock for the front with a set of douglas wheels. Then I may make the front and rear wider. I already have the rollers for the front clutch and plan to do that this weekend. Thanks for the help to all.

Old 02-18-2006 | 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Zuki piston (till 1.5 over).
The shredders are a great tire IMO. 16's for racing, 18's for plain riding. I like the stock fronts or similiar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT80 hard starting