Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Race quad opinion!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:00 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race quad opinion!!!!

Originally posted by: DRUEandTYLERSdad
There is no feasable amount of money you could dump into a Kazuma or Yamiti or anything like these ones, that would make it even compare to the bone stock DRR/DRX.
Gussets, suspension and motor work and you could easily make the Yamati run circles around a stock drr. All for about $4k. Some racers seem to think that's feasible. Think you'd end up doing a lot of the same stuff to the DRR to beef it up too if you're serious about racing. But stock for stock, there is no comarison.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: DRUEandTYLERSdad
There is no feasable amount of money you could dump into a Kazuma or Yamiti or anything like these ones, that would make it even compare to the bone stock DRR/DRX.
Gussets, suspension and motor work and you could easily make the Yamati run circles around a stock drr. All for about $4k. Some racers seem to think that's feasible. Think you'd end up doing a lot of the same stuff to the DRR to beef it up too if you're serious about racing. But stock for stock, there is no comarison.

Replace feasable with reasonable and my statement works again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, are you talking about the old DRR, or the new DRX made by DRR? Im referring to the DRX.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I don't know, by time you replace the shocks, carb and jug on the drr, you're up to $4k too. Maybe a better starting place, but for about the same price I'd rather have a WRH or Hetrick pipe and a-arms too. Just depends what you plan to do with it.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

Im thinking we are not both talking about the same mini. The DRX stands stock at 40 inches wide, so if you put some arms on the yamiti, or any other mini with narrow single a-arms, now you may be up to what the DRX is stock. The DRX also comes stock with a tuned pipe. Not as good as some of the aftermarket pipes im sure, but it is leaps and bounds better than any of the other stockers. The shocks on all these are garbage, so to say they need to be replaced stands true all the way across the board. The DRX is a great starting place. If you took the same $4k, bought either quad, and then used the leftover money to buy mods, the DRX would still win hands down in my opinion. However, I would still buy a LEM over either, but thats just my opinion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I don't understand. You'd buy a 50cc single speed over a 90cc cvt? And 35" wide and plus 3" a-arms is 41" inches. And beefier at that. Whatever man, just my opinion too but I still think it depends what you want to do with it. Hell, I got mine for $1180 delivered. Lot of money left for improvements. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
I don't understand. You'd buy a 50cc single speed over a 90cc cvt? And 35" wide and plus 3" a-arms is 41" inches. And beefier at that. Whatever man, just my opinion too but I still think it depends what you want to do with it. Hell, I got mine for $1180 delivered. Lot of money left for improvements. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I wasnt aware we were comparing a 50cc to a 90cc. I thought we were having an apples to apples discussion. a 50cc DRX vs a 50cc Yamiti. Second the DRX by DRR does also have a CVT tranny, not a single speed such as the Kazuma or even the LEM. DRX also makes a 90cc version which would be undoubtedly something you would like to compare a Yamiti with.

So to answer your first question, would I buy a 50cc single speed over a 90cc cvt? That would depend. I would buy a single speed LEM over a 90cc CVT Yamiti any day of the week. Secondly if you were going to add +3 arms to a Yamiti, which I was unaware anyone made, you would be 1" wider than a stock DRX. This would also mean you would have to add 12" shocks to replace the stockers. You would also have to add a wider rear axle, again to achieve what the DRX is stock. Next is the stock dual A-arms of the DRX, superior over any other 50cc mini currently offered, other than the Cobra of course. But as Im sure you already know, its in a class all by itself.

Back to the original question of racing. What you are talking about doing to a Yamiti, takes it right out of the limited class. This class you can only do internal motor modifications. Everything else must remain stock. No addition of longer A-arms, no pipe, no longer axle, no shocks. I would gladly pay twice as much for this mini. That is not the case however, since you can have it on your door for under $2k. That extra money is well spent, right off the bat.

Here is an article to the new DRX 50cc

ATV SCENE ARTICLE ON DRX

Just my opinon as well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thkns for all the information. Many of the rules you all fall under dont apply to us. Many of the races we attend are not sanctioned. Our class are alot smaller than what you all face. I need a strong 70 cc motor that will run aside a stock 90s in a worst case scenario. I feel my daughter can run with the best of them with this motor. On top of it, I know I will have to pay for adequate suspension and will go with spacers, last case a-arms. I will do all internal mods. With this in mind, I had to call on all you pros.

Most of the bikes out there now are running horizontal motors with the CVT tranny. What I have found to be the differance on many of these machinces have been weight, seat height, suspension, basically the chassis. I can make any 2-stroke motor run strong. I just have to get the right bike for my daughter to ride and fit on. The better she fits, the better she will ride.

About this LEM quad. I looked it up and all I could find was the condor. Does this thing come with plastic rims. Then again is it only in a 50cc. What have you got yours to top out at. Is the suspnsion worth anything?

On the DRRs what are you having to spend money on after you get it home?

I need to come visit some of you and see what you guys are racing.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer

The LEM is not the run of the mill quad. The condor is not one to eve consider. Howerver, the Cayman which they stopped importing in 2004 is by far my favorite choice for a race quad. Think about it , no matter what the case may be, these quads weigh 125 pounds. The engines are unstoppable. The problem is that they are extremely tough to find parts for. The engine parts are just fine, but the rest are near impossible to find. Behind this i would choose the DRX by DRR. Let me know if I can choose. In all hoestly, even thought I prefer the LEM to the DRX, I would still choose the DRX in this day and age because of the availability. Enjoy

Corey

Old 02-19-2006, 12:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: DRUEandTYLERSdad Next is the stock dual A-arms of the DRX, superior over any other 50cc mini currently offered, other than the Cobra of course. But as Im sure you already know, its in a class all by itself.

Back to the original question of racing. What you are talking about doing to a Yamiti, takes it right out of the limited class. )

What dual a-arms? There is also the Xtreme Pro.

Already heard from one person that said they weren't allowed to run the DRR in a stock class. So everyone should check their local rules. Again, I just said it depends what you're going to do with it. If you want to leave it stock, the drr is hands down better. But why pay for mid-grade parts IF you plan to replace them anyway. You'd end up spending more in the long run. That's my only point.

They make the a-arms that will fit the Yamati. If I took the plastics off mine and a Scrambler 90, you'd be hard pressed to tell me which is which.