Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATVs for children Under 6yrs of Age

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATVs for children Under 6yrs of Age

I'm not too sure of the above text. Way too much text for me to waddle through. However, I can vouch about WhoDatInDaMud's military friend and his kid's "panic freeze" situation. My son was 8 when he first drove his Pred-90. He was a natural. Amazing because within 3 weeks, he was able to pass every "back yard" test that I could throw at him. After 3 weeks, off to the trails we go. When my daughter turned 8, she was allowed to drive our Pred-90 (with throttle turned way down). First time trying, she froze and drove directly into our deck. Ok, bad day for her. We'll try another day. A month later, she drives too close to trampoline and clips its back wheels. Ok, another bad day. On the third try, she almost drives into our shed. Ok - another bad day. MMMMM... There's definatly a pattern to this kid.

After all this, I'm come to the conclusion that a kid can be age 4-6,8 or 18. If they don't have the emotional skills to control a motorized anything, they don't belong on it. Period. And if wondering, she hasn't driven our Pred-90 (even at max 5 mph) for the last 6 months. She just doesn't have the natural skills to drive it.

If/when you buy a mini-ATV for any age of kid, seriously monitor your kid. If your young rider is like my daughter, throw in the towel (sort of speaking) and know when to walk away. In other words, sell it and move onto a different sport. If wondering, this will be our last season with our "trail modified" '03 Pred-90. At the end of this season, my son will be too physically big for it. Time to sell it and move onto something else....

Something to think about....

Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like my son to start riding ATV's, if he wants to. He is only 2 years old but I was thinking of getting him one for his next b-day next year, when he turns 3. Are there any particular models you highly recommend for children of this age?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reebog
I would like my son to start riding ATV's, if he wants to. He is only 2 years old but I was thinking of getting him one for his next b-day next year, when he turns 3. Are there any particular models you highly recommend for children of this age?

Yup Powerwheels. I started my kid on the Kawi Ninja Powerwheels at the age of 4. He loved it and it
was plenty for him to handle.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: reebog
Powerwheels, and splurge on the 12 volt model. Even though he probably doesn't need it, buy him a cheap, DOT approved offroad helmet and always make him wear it to ride it.

Lots of great discussion in this thread. My personal take is that the guidelines need to be changed to be weighted more heavliy on height and weight than age. Minimum age requirements should still exist, but I love the system mentioned above where kids can test and if found capable be able to ride a larger class machine. Reading these forums quite a bit, I have noticed the trend of non-atv owning parents buying units for the kids first. When mommy and daddy bought my first quad at the tender age of 14, they also bought one for themselves. My dad couldn't bear the thought of me out riding by myself(in case I got hurt, of course[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Thanks dad! I know these things are expensive, but I would like to see parents have at least one other atv for themselves too. It is hard to teach a child how to ride when you don't know yourself.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I am glad that Power Wheels got bought up. Fisher Price rates their "Kawasaki KFX Ninja Ultimate Terrain Traction" 12 volt ATV at 3 years and up. This Electric ATV goes 5 miles per hour and is basically the same size as a Meerkat 50. If you restrict a Meerkat to 5 MPH why would it be any more dangers than a Power Wheels ATV? To answer my own question, the Meerkat is much heaver and therefore would be much more dangerous to other children, bystanders or items that might be struck. But from the riders prospective not much more dangerous, except maybe in a rollover situation. With that said would I put my 3 year old on a gas power ATV “NO”. But after seeing my 5 year old ride his Power Wheels since he was 3 I do feel he has the skills to ride a similarly sized speed restricted gas powered ATV and obviously only under Adult supervision with protective gear. Is how an ATV is powered gas vs. electric the deciding factor of how dangerous an ATV is or should it be size, speed, and weight. Should Fisher Price be worried, will their electric ATV’s be next to be attacked.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The Powerwheels are limited by much more than speed though. They are never going to generate enough power to tip, and those tires, lack of suspension and brakes cancel any true offroad excursions right off the bat. I have a 4 y/o, no way she is operating a heavier gas powered atv for a bit still.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

I hope your child never experiences it, but we have three Power Wheels and very enthusiastic children and trust me Power Wheels can flip. As for the tires, lack of suspension and brakes those things actually make them less safe. While gas powered micro ATVs might be more off-road capable, very young riders should be learning in open field environments.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Leading injuries of the very young youth are the severe burns or lacerations from contact with the exhuast, drive chains, sprockets and wheels as a result of a roll-over. The little guys panic and will hold the throttle wide open while the machine chews or burns them up. I would think the electrics are much safer from those types of injury.

It wasn't that long ago when a thread about youthful riders concluded with one of the more active and pro-youth posters sharing that their neighbor lost thier young daughter when Dad who was supervising - stepped into the garage to answer the phone. I believe the girl sophocated under the weight of a larger youth sized machine. That has to hit close to home for those who are supervising their children.

Remember its not uncommon for a 50cc mini quad to weigh in around 150 pounds. Thats more then many 6 year olds will be able to get off of them before they run out of air. I thought about this thread today at the hospital while I sat with 3 and 4 year olds. (this time I broke a couple of ribs it seems) There were several in the clinic for some reason. I do not beleive they would have more than a snowballs chance in hell to save themselves if they were pinned under a machine.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
I do not beleive they would have more than a snowballs chance in hell to save themselves if they were pinned under a machine.

Hell I have been pinned under a 250R and it was not a pleasant experience. Had to have my brother pull it off of me.
I don't even ride alone anymore.

Darrin

Old 08-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: 9kids
I hope your child never experiences it, but we have three Power Wheels and very enthusiastic children and trust me Power Wheels can flip. As for the tires, lack of suspension and brakes those things actually make them less safe. While gas powered micro ATVs might be more off-road capable, very young riders should be learning in open field environments.
Look, I know it all can happen in the blink of an eye, but if your kids are flipping Powerwheels over, maybe they aren't being as well supervised as they should be. Maybe in your case you should put them on a gas powered quad, one that is widened to the max and has much less chance of flipping. I agree though that kids should be learning in wide open fields and such. That is the way I am doing it, setting up little courses with cones.

Quick Reply: ATVs for children Under 6yrs of Age