Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATVs for children Under 6yrs of Age

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATVs for children Under 6yrs of Age

In many ways, I find "we as society" are very mixed up on what we teach our kids. Especially when it comes to mini-ATVs. For example:

At age 3 - 5 (depending on body size), we buy our kids an electrical mini-ATV. Could be "Power Wheels" or it could be a different brand. We often apply the needed safety things (re: no bare feet, flat ground only, wear a helmet 'even a simple peddle bike helment', etc. etc.) and we watch them have fun, and they "learn" now to drive a mini-ATV. Yes, up / down public sideways, paved driveways and even smooth lawns. Yes, its an electrcial slow moving machine but at the basic level, "we as parents" are teaching our young drivers how to steer, how to brake, how to judge ground speed, and what NOT to drive over. And in many ways, they are being just like one of their us (their parents). They are driving an ATV (in mini version of an Adult size ATV).

From age 5 until age 14+ (with a proper driving permit), we tell these same kids that they are NOT allowed to drive a mini-ATV. Legally or what ever reason, many of us must tell these same kids that driving a mini- ATV is too dangerious. They must wait until they are a minimum age 14 (with a permit) or 16+, before they can drive an ATV again. If wondering, I do understand the reasons behind it. For example: Higher risk of injury, no riding area (for a motorized mini-ATV), local laws, etc.

I find it very strange that we (as a society) teach them at a young age, take it away from them when age 5+, then if they want, they can only drive an ATV when age 14+. Sure glad we don't do the same approach with their skate boards, peddle bikes, etc. If I took my kids peddle bike away, he'd chew my arm off.

Perhaps we (as a society) should be teaching our kids how to drive little Go-Karts instead? Something that's electric, that has 4 wheels, is light weight, has a roll bar and cross chested seat belts. When they out grow the electric power, we can then get them a motorized larger Go-Kart. Or, a small dune buggy - that fits their body size. Again, something with a roll bar and cross chested seat belt (that fits their body size). In thinking big picture (and love of driving something with 4 wheels), I wonder if companies like Power Wheels should STOP selling their mini-ATVs, and start selling mini Go-Karts instead. Or, we as parents should only purchase electric Go-Karts instead. Thus, our kids can continue to drive from age 3 -> 80. It may not be an ATV (or mini-ATV) but at least they are having fun, and building their skills when the time comes to drive a vehicle on the public streets.

Something to think about. Especially if thinking of buying an ATV (or mini-ATV) for the 1st time.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was doing a search here to see what opinions are floating around on this topic. I have a son who I put on a little tykes power wheels at the age of 20 months. once he out grew that little four wheeler bent axle and all with the 12 volt battery I put in it instead of 6 volts. I saw a koplin electric atv at gander mountain for 299.99. I was not going to waste money on another plastic wheeler. I went in to buy it with my son in tow the sales guy was trying every trick in the book to get me NOT to buy it, he said they all come back broken they are all junk you should buy him a power wheels. I told him I wanted to try it anyway. Then the almighty question came up he said how old is he? I told him 2 and a half he promptly stated he would not sell it to me due to his age. Well I did a 180 and said it was for my nephew who is 9. The atv is 36 volt electric size of a 50cc the max rider weight is 200lbs and with my son on it it does 5 mph. I brought it home hoped on it and taught him how to operate it with me right on it. After a few rides he was ready to solo. There were a few close calls with objects in the yard at first but When he made a mistake I made him stop got down to his level and corrected his mistakes. If he did not listen to me he would not ride at all. He is now 3 and a half and rides with me in our field next to the house. He can only ride this atv due to training, countless hours to be exact. I believe that no child or parents for that matter should operate an atv with out training. i learned at a very early age under supervision. The answer in my opinion as to age limits and such is this the child must physically fit the machine and be trained to operate it properly with close supervision. Also it must have proper safety devices like parent tether for learning and rider tether for the rider if he falls off or rolls. I will be ordering a 50cc gas atv for him this week. The laws and guidelines are for people who do not know about atvs that will just slap there kids on it with no training and no limits. The wheelers today have countless saftey devices and limits and should be used.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Range Rover

My son started riding Power Wheels at age 1.. I started him off with the mini 2-3mile per hour atv.. I also got him the mini gokart that goes 2-3mile per hour.. He did a great job riding both machines, So the following christmas I got him the Power Wheels atv that comes with the trailer.. It's actually a pretty big machine, and would go 5 miles per hr.. I think I paid $269 for it... That whole summer he drove the wheels off it.. Again he did really good on it.. And please keep in mind I was with him every second while he was riding it... Buy the end of summer it was pretty beat... So for his third Christmas I decided to get him a real atv... I was considering a 50cc, but the 70cc was like $20 more.. So I went with the 70... It came with the remote kill, and tether etc.. He has been riding it ever since... Of course I have the speed turned down..... Now I'm sure people would think I'm wrong for buying him a gas powered atv at his age, and I can understand why... But this is how I let him ride it.......

I take him to a flat open field to ride..... No cars to hit, and only a few trees... This field is located behind my house, and I actually allow my son to ride his atv on the way to the field. While I walk beside him... This gives me a chance to do a few things... If he tries to take off without me.. It gets put away, and he's done riding for the week... On the way to the field I make him work the brake a bunch of times.. To assure he can stop.... I also give him a preride talk on the way...

Once we get to the field, I allow him to ride in a oval, with me standing in the center, or running along with him... While he's riding, I will tell him to stop... And he does... I will tell him to slow down around the bends, and he does... If he doesn't listen to me.. It gets put away... Plain and simple...

I took him to a track last year, and he wouldn't wear his chest protector that I got him... So we went home, and he didn't ride... This year he will turn 5, and I'm not going to allow him to ride at all, unless he wears all of the protective gear I got him... I have also purchased a neck roll for him.... And he will never ride without me being near him.

I will say that I worry nonstop while he's riding, and even when he's not... I read about children and atv accidents all the time, and it makes me worry even more... But this is something that he loves to do, and as long as he follows the rules.. I will continue to let him ride... So far he has put a good 100+ hrs on his quad, and his only accident was him trying to nock a tree over... He didn't accidently hit it... He drove into it, thinking it would fall over... But it stopped him in his tracks, and that was a lesson in itself...

Most accidents that I read about either involve the lack of supervision.(The atv isn't a babysitter) The lack of protective gear... Or the parent allowing the child to ride in an area not suitable (parked cars etc) Riding an atv that's too big for the child... Riding a passenger.. Finally... Not Spending the time to teach the child how to ride it properly... And making sure that he understands that it's not a toy, and he can get hurt.

IT'S A LOT OF WORK, AND A LOT OF WORRYING... BUT MY SON IS HAVING A GREAT CHILDHOOD.. AND I FEEL TEACHING HIM THE RIGHT WAY NOW WILL HELP HIM WITH RIDING IN THE FUTURE. JUST MY .02 THANKS FOR READING...

Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

It all boils down to common sense parenting. You see it every day, whether it's walking through a store, eating in a restaurant, or riding at your local ohv areas. Parents are parents, there are good parents,bad parents, and clueless parents. No matter what you do, that's the way life is, and the more you do to protect these people and allow there bloodlines to continue, the bigger the problem will get. If the parent is a booger-eating dummy, chances are the kid will grow up to be the same, it's sad but true. You can't legislate parenting skills or morality, the best you can do is try to set the example and hope that some of the clueless ones pick up on it. The bad parents will just tell you to f-off if you try to help them out, so it's not even worth trying. My whole point is this: if you spend enough time with your kids, you will know when the time is right, my daughter was ready way before my son will be, but I know that because I pay attention to my children. I don't just buy them a quad to shut them up, and set them loose on it to get them out of my hair.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Age is NOT the issue here. It's the child's ability and training.

Both my kids ride quads. One is 4 the other will be 2 in two weeks.

The 2 year old rides an elect Kawi quad by himself, with a helmet of course, and does very good. He's getting used to the "turbo" throttle, though he doesn't use it much. He also rides on front of the gas 50cc quad with me, controlling the steering and throttle. He does OK with this also. He can stand on a skateboard and wheelie it without holding on to anything, and push himself around on it. He's very adapt and well balanced.

The 2 year old has been climbing on EVERYTHING with wheels in my yard since before he could walk. You can't get on a quad, bike or motorcycle around him without taking him for a ride, or providing him his own ride (i.e. the kawi).

He was brought up around them, and took to them faster than he took to walking. (If you look close, you'll see wheels where his toes should be). I have no doubt that by the time he's 4, he'll be riding better than his older brother on both quads and motorcycles.

The 4 year old started riding the elec kawi at around 2. He did excellent on it. He started riding the gas quad at 3. For the first year, except for one incident where a couple girls asked if he could go any faster, he has always maintained very VERY good throttle control. He's good towing trailers with it, and has ridden at the desert a few times.

In the last several months, (he turned 4 in Dec), he has come out of his "shell" and is now able to jump (small jumps, but jumps never the less), and he even does these little tricks like taking one hand and sticking it in the air when he jumps, or taking his feet off the pegs while he jumps. He works his way up to those types of events as he gains confidence and ability.

I've never pushed him. I only supported and taught him when HE was ready. That includes riding bicycles and motorcycles. He started riding his bicycle WITHOUT training wheels at 3-1/2, and started riding an electric motorcycle within months of that.

I have a 50cc Honda motorcycle, which he has wanted to ride very badly for over a month now. I think he's ready now, and will probably start that in the next week or two.

Bottom line; you can't just stick a kid on a quad and have him ride it. He/she needs to learn both throttle control and steering, as well as safety before-hand. The way to teach that is to start them young (especially on an elect quad like the kawi) then ride with them on a gas quad, letting them control it with you on the back. (yeah, I look silly on the back of a 50cc quad, but that's OK)

I think one of the biggest things that has helped is talking with him after each ride and going over what he does good and what he does bad.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

My son started out when he was four on a 50cc Meerkat. He took to it instantly. He is now 5 1/2 and rides a Raceway Mini Ute 100, and does great with it. However, to this day he still doesn't know how to ride a bike for two reasons. One, he won't get off his quad long enough. Two, he scared to death of it! Go figure, no motor, just pedal and go, and he's afraid of it.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mini ATV for my 4 year old son

I started off my son with an electric atv 1000w 36 volts at 4 years old. It's pretty powerful at full speed but it has 3 different speed settings which you can limit the speed to as low as 5mp/h. Its perfect for my son because he can grow into it and the speed gets faster for him. As long as you get a good quality one, it will last you...i got mine from Belmonte Bikes for about 800 all in.

https://www.belmontebikes.com/collec...-atv-36v-1000w

they got all the specs on their site too

Old 09-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had never heard of those until now. A 1000w electric quad does sound interesting. I have seen full size electric quads and Polaris even once made an electric Ranger but they were slow and underpowered. For a kid's quad, you don't want them to be fast anyway. 25mph advertised speed is plenty fast enough for a child and it appears its easier to govern on this type of quad. $800 for a new kid's quad doesn't sound that bad. You'll pay 3 times that for a little 50cc kids quad brand new.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's right...I noticed they (Belmonte Bikes) also have the 49cc quads for $549 and they include free shipping with that
As for the electric atv, its really durable and doesn't feel cheap...also has a reverse option...pretty neat little toy