Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with leaking carbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 AM
JBL
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with leaking carbs

I have a problem with my Chinese made quad and go cart. Both have developed a leak coming from the carbs. There is a tube coming from the bottom and side of the carb that I suppose is for overflow. As long as the engines are running, everything is fine, but once the motor is turned off, the gas just continues to flow out of these tubes until I turn the fuel **** to the off position or start up the motors. Can anyone please explain why this is happening and a way to fix it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

i see no else wants to help you, so here it goes. it's leaking because the float is not shutting off the fuel, so it's eaither the float is stuck or needs to be bent a little to stop it, you must take the float bowl off, check to make sure it's not stuck,it should move up and down freely, take it apart and clean it, put it all back together then see if it still leaks out the overflow, if it does then you need to remove it again and bent the float up just a little, try it again, if it's fuel still leaks then bend it a little more until it stops. once you remove the float bowl you'll see how simple this is, and why it leaks. good luck

bill

Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
JBL
Trailblazer

Thanks Bill, I figured that was the culprit by searching many websites for a solution. I will check it out this weekend and let you know the results!

Old 05-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
Listen to Bill. When you get tired of those carbs, he'll tell you the right after market carb to buy! He is the man when it comes to this stuff. SEADAWG

Old 05-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bill,

I also have the same problem. But I'm not sure how you tell what CC the motor is or the Size Replacement Carb or rebuild Kit. All I know is it Chinese Made. Any Hints?

Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cadbob,

The best thing to do is take your carb off and give it a good cleaning. You may have to adjust your float like billl2099 said. But do not adjust the float too far or you will starve the motor for fuel or may shut the fuel off all together. There are many things that will make fuel overflow out the overflow tube. You could have a binding float where it gets stuck on the the overflow tube or it can just get stuck from not moving properly. Make sure to clean out the float valve real good(needle and seat). This is where your problem most likely lies. There may be some debris keeping the float valve open(needle and seat). You may even have to go as far as to replace the float valve (needle and seat) because it's worn out. You can tell if it is worn out if there is a ring indention on the rubber piece on the valve. This is where the fuel keeps leaking through into the bowl when the float is at the level to shut off the fuel.

To find out what type of engine you have it will be stamped on the cylinder or case of your engine. It will be marked in cm., an example of this on my CRF 150 the cylinder is marked as follows 156cm. This will get you close to what cc your quad is. You probably don't need to replace your carb it just needs a good cleaning.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

bea carefull adjusting the float a litle bend goes a long way do this also take the carb off and take the flaoat bowl off take a peice of gas line and blow into the fill on the carb take your finger and slowly close the float. it should not let any air trough if it does take some good old carb clean out and clean it up if it is still doing this get a new neadle and seat

Old 05-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got it guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks your all a big help! I gave carb good cleaning and then turned it upside down and checked to make sure floats sit level! Taylor used all my gas riding today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]