Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Is a 150cc enough for trails?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 150cc enough for trails?

I currently have a Freedom BMX 150cc ATV. I wanted to take it trail riding in some of the ATV parks nearby. I am 5'9" at 180 pounds. Is this ATV big enough to get me through a weekend of serious trail riding? I can get a new 200cc engine with a 30mm carb for it if that would help. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my 150 atv through quite a bit of rough trails. Some of them have holes and stuff in
them, too. But mostly I ride on this one trail that has really soft silky dirt. If you change the
stock air filter w/ a uni, it works really well through tough trails. But if the trail is full of
pretty steep hills and climbs, it will be a pretty slow trail ride. I was going maybe 10-15
mph on a fairly steep hill, but that was w/ the crappy stock air filter. So it should be
better now. So you might want to try that mod.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I did order a new K & N air filter with the outer cover. I havn't recieved it yet so I'm not sure what power gains I am going to get with it. My concern with changing out the 150cc motor to a 200cc motor is that I will lose reverse. The new motor will not have it. Will I a notice a big power difference from a 150cc to a 200cc? If not I will just keep the 150cc and try and make a few modifications. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. The power difference will be fairly noticeable. With a manual transmission that would also be great to get the 200, if you hate automatic. Also, polaris phoenix 200 parts may work
on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

keep ur bike, try and mod it out it will do fine.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: masterbs
I currently have a Freedom BMX 150cc ATV. I wanted to take it trail riding in some of the ATV parks nearby. I am 5'9" at 180 pounds. Is this ATV big enough to get me through a weekend of serious trail riding? I can get a new 200cc engine with a 30mm carb for it if that would help. Thanks for the help.
The 150 engine is a decent enough powerplant. Just not that fast. When i clocked the Yamoto 150 i have it would do 32 mph on the top end and usually would climb hills at 14-17 mph.Not real fast but it kept climbing. i would think putting a 200cc engine in a quad that came with the 150 might be tough.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

The 200cc engine I might get is the same engine as mine, just 50cc difference. Everything bolts right back up the same. The main concern I have about doing the switch is that my ATV is a shaft drive. I don't know if the extra 50cc of power would tear it up. The engine will run me about $400. Is the extra power I will get worth it?

Old 06-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

if you have a cvt transmission, spend the $20 and change the variator roller weights to lighter ones, this is the biggest performance gain for the dollar, will definitely help you out trail riding and hill climbs.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies. To Billl2099, it's a manual trans with reverse. I checked again to make sure it would fit and found out I will need to make a few more modifications than I want to to make the motor work. So I think I am going to see what I can do with this engine. I was thinking about adding a new pipe to get a little extra performance. The bike a 26mm Sheng Wey carb. My jets are K85 main and K40 pilot. I have never jetted a carb before so what do you guys recommend for a new pipe?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

masterbs,

Your best bet on a new pipe is to look what is already out there in the Japanese market. Look at pipes for the 90cc ATV's & bikes up to the 250cc 4 stroke range. An example would be to look at Honda's TRX 90cc and what after market pipes are being sold for it. Try Honda's CRF150's look to see what after market pipes will work on it. Not too many people will recommend a particular pipe for you. You will have to do the research and make that choice on your own. If you plan on riding on US forest land get a silencer with a USFS approved spark arrester in it. The pipe will also be stamped showing compliance.

Remember when you do the silencer, you may need to fabricate new mounts for the pipe. If you really want to go all out take the quad down to your local muffler shop and have them fabricate a new head pipe with the bends in it to bolt up to the new silencer and the quad mounts. You can even increase exhaust flow with a larger head pipe. Talk to your muffler guy, get his opinion for this upgrade .

As for jetting, the best thing to do is, do your upgrades and start taking plug readings to see if you need to rejet. You most likely will, but you must do the mods first. You may have to make a big jump in jets or you may not. Jetting takes time and patience. On my 150(the quad) I went from a 110 to a 135 on my main, the pilot went from a 35 to a 40 and I shimmed my needle with 2 shims. Now through this process I must have removed and installed my carb almost a dozen times till I got my jetting right. Also went through a few spark plugs.

Make sure to upgrade your air filter and install a new fuel filter.

Other than that wait for some more post. Others have put after market pipes on their Chinese quads. I'm sure they will respond on what they did and what pipes and filters they used.

Good Luck.

SB.

Quick Reply: Is a 150cc enough for trails?