Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SUNL 90

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:04 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUNL 90

Hi, I have to 2006 SUNL 90 CC machanines for my boys and have been through many of the probelms that have been discussed in this forum. Your comments have been a big help. Well yesterday we went for a ridge and 1 machine's frame broke on the rear left side. I'm trying to find a friend to weld it for me but the bigger problem is with the other 90CC. My son was riding as normal, the thing started to spit, spat and back fire and then died. I changed the plug but did a spark test forst and there is not spark. FYI, all safety things including brake lever are on. The tehther thing was clapmed down on day one but perhaps I will just go unplug it at the connection and remove per previous posts I read here. What else is there that I can check, do or replace to get this this back and running.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default SUNL 90

as far as the frames, needs to be welded and weld ground down then you also need to add a 3/4 id 1/8 thick tube appox 2-3 inches long on top of the weld to beef up that area , it needs to be done above and below the gusset for the swing arm on both right and left sides, 4 places , if you don't do this fix it first it will only break on the opposite side next time the quads ridden. next no spark issure, check all electrical connections and put a little di-electric grease in each connector, check the fuse, did this atv get wet? if it did take an air hose and nozzle and blow off the cdi connectors and handle bar switch, one more thing their's 2 wires and connectors at the handlebar switch on the left side on the outside of the switch make sure their still plug in and dry,

Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 90

Hi Bill, I double checked all wire connections including the hadle bar. All are dry and fully plugged in. Th2 on the handle bar go to a unit marked 0511 which has the plug wire coming out of it. Could that 0511 unit have gone bad? I checked the 2 fuses and ther are both intact. I'm very confused on how this all happened. Like I said, he was riding then it spat and backfired and died. A brand new plug did nothing as there is no spark now. I read on another post somewhere where someone had a similar problem and they needed to adjust the valves??? Could this be the problem I have and if so, how do I adjust them? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:21 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 90

I'm sorry, one more thing... what are CDI connectors?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SUNL 90

Look on the left side of the bike. Under the frame there is 2 wires green and brown or white. There are cheap insulators that slide down the wires and if the wires touch it will lose spark. The wires go to the coil. It wont hurt the bike but it will not run either. This acts as if the teather was pulled . I have seen this on all the sunl bikes that I hav eand have built. Just put the boots back on and put electrical tape ofer them.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:30 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 90

Too many toys,

I assume the coil is the thing that says 0511 on it. The green wire and the black w/ brown stripe wire both go to the 0511 which has the wire to the plug. I read in another post that by unplugging the tether kill switch will byepass it. I tried and it made no difference. I reconnected and got an intermittent spark here or there. Then I unplugged the tether plug ain and tried to check it for a loose wire but now I destroyed it trying to open the clicker part. Is there a way to byepass this thing. Can I hard wire it? I had 1 spark and now I just lost another chance unless this tether kill switch can be byepassed. Again, unplugged I still get nothing. All your help is very much appreciated.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default SUNL 90

valves have nothing to do with an electrical problem, sure sounds like a loose connection if now you're getting an intermitted spark,you can remove the tether switch altogether you don't need it, their's a little black box mounted on the left side of the frame thats the cdi,

Old 07-02-2006, 03:58 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 90

Hi Bill,

the intermittent happened when I re-connected the tether kill. but like i said, i tried to take it apart to look for a loose wire and now it is busted. u unplugged the white connector so the whole harness is off but still no spark. could the coild be bad if all cdi wires and connections are dry and connected including the 2 that go to the coil? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default SUNL 90

what it could be , cdi , coil, stator, handle bar switch, wire connectors, remote control stop switch, key switch, wiring harness, since you have 2 what i've done in the past is just start swiching components until you find it, this doesnt take all that long but you'll need take the plastic off both quads to get to all the components, that takes the longest time, but you should beable to locate the problem this way, i wouldn't exchanged the stator until the last thing, stators nornally don't go bad.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:24 PM
JAC
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 90

Thank you. That does seem like a lot of trouble shooting. can it any way be related to the teather switch? Does disconnecting that switch at the white plug and removing it from the bike totally byepass it or does it create other electrical issues? It is odd that we got 1 spark here and there after connecting the tether switch.

I'm quite perplexed over the whole thing becuase 1 minute he was riding it, then backfires then nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Quick Reply: SUNL 90