Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton yukon 150 runs poorly

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton yukon 150 runs poorly

Hello, first time posting here, been reading alot. There seem to be alot of eton and baja owners here.

My wife's Eton Yukon 150 is very tempormental, runs perfect at times, idles high sometimes, stalls at other times.

Ive taken the bottom of the carb apart before and cleaned the jets, I dont think it is that this time.

I have a see-thru fuel filter on it, and at times I can see it run dry, If I disconnect the fuel line at the vacume valve on the bottom of the tank, fuel poors out, I reconnect the line and the filter slowly fills w/fuel again. This same thing seems to happen over and over. As long as the filter is full, the machine runs ok. The vacumn valve seems to work, when there is no vacumn, the fuel does not flow, if I disconnect the vacume line while its running, the engine stops immedietly. Is there a screan or somthing in the vacume valve that could be cloged?

I read a similar concern where someone said to clean the spark arestor for a poor running eton, so tommorrow I will try that, but somthing tells me this is fuel related.

Over the year that Ive owned it I have found and fixed several vacumn leaks.

Thanks
Dan

Old 07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

just a shot in the dark, but most atv's petcocks have a screen that prefilters the fuel, i'd take the vacume valve apart and check to see if it too has a prefilter screen that might be plugged

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a vent line on the fuel cap. If it is clogged or the vent is not working properly it wont run right after a while. It will cause a vacuum in the gas tank and will prevent fuel flow. If it starts to run like crap again unscrew the cap and see if it clears.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you both, I plan on running this tank as dry as I can and the removing the petcock to ck the screen, and as far as the vent hose, I did run it with the cap off, no difference.

Im also thinking the chock may not be operating correctly, its an automatic one, and the engine races an awful lot when its cold and for a long time, if I lower the idle, then when its finaly warm, its stalls again unless I raise the idle. I've seen a manual chock conversion for this model on-line, I may have to ck into that. I have no idea how this automatic one even works, I guess I will take it apart and see what its doing when its cold and as it opens, I guess its got to be like a car with a carburator, just slowly opens as the engine warms. In this summer heat the ckock shouldnt even be on for more then a minute or 2, this thing sits there racing for 20 minutes before it slows down.

Thanks again

Any other ideas or sugestions?

Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DANVAN,

Here is some info on the CV carb and the auto bystarter (choke). This may give you a better idea of what your looking for.

Keihin CVK40
Keihin Constant Velocity (CV) Carburetor
Bystarter

Good Luck.

SB

Old 07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are the part books and the manual choke kit if you are interested. When you cut and paste the URL take out the (-) between the big-buck to get the URL to work. Could not post the URL without the (-) in it.

http://www.big-buckatvproducts.com/shop_Eton.htm

SB.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I will check it all tonight

Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
HCW
Weekend Warrior

I had a similar problem...purchase a Yukon on Thursday and it ran great. Friday, well that is another story. Engine missed and backfired. Let is warm up for 20minutes at idle...still ran poorly. Pulled the plug, spark arrestor, checked fuel lines for kinks. Checked petcock, drained the gas...nothing seemed to fix it. My buddy who is a great mechanic looked everything over, and found a loose connection on the coil (?). He crimped it a little harder, and the Eton ran like a champ. Went out and got it dirty running around the farmers field, would still be there now if my son did not flood our LT80 by running it through a huge mud Puddle !

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

I to found a loose connection at the coil, once it was cleaned and tightened it helped.
The real problem seems to be the choke, when I remove it from the carb the stalling issue is gone.
I had already bought a new automatic choke and the prob was exactly the same, once a friend convinced me to just remove it and run it I was amazed at how good the quad ran. I now have to go buy a manual choke for it once the weather warms up.
Thanks for the replys.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

smb05, those r some excellent links to the carb info I needed, wish I had seem them sooner, thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Eton yukon 150 runs poorly