Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

sunl 70cc SL70 just got two of them, now give me advice pls.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunl 70cc SL70 just got two of them, now give me advice pls.

well, got one almost done, the new batt. is sitting for its hour now, thought I would update my thread.

ok, the frame on the one I thought was ok, was cracked, no biggie I guess, had a guy weld it and weld an extra support rod on it for $10 (the guy races dirt bikes, guessing that is why so cheap). anyway I got the strongest bolts/nuts from the hardware store to help with the chain issue. One more thing I need to mention the front sprocket is 12 tooth, and when I looked at it, it slides on the shaft about 3/16 of an inch, so I took off the two snap rings and put on a washer then put on the snap rings to secure it in place, now the sprocket does not move in and out on the shaft, anyone think this may be one reason for the chain being thrown so often?

Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

oh, and I changed the oil, 10w30 havoline, how much oil do you all put in? Mine did not take much, and just curious.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

well, just got back in, my son loves his new atv, tore the other apart, might get it welded on Friday, looking to beef it up some, maybe my wife will ride with him some, I want to, but I need a bigger atv, she will need a bigger one too, but she only weighs 130 so she should be able to putt around the yard some with him.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Trailblazer

I'm glad you had fun you should have a little space in the front sprocket but not 3/16 I think most of these have trouble with the tension of the chain thats why they fall off it keeps coming loose

Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

do you mean that the sprocket should slide on the shaft? how much? my shaft has some play in it, in and out play, just alittle, but the sprocket was moving on the shaft, is that the way it should be?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

I don't think the sprocket should slide on the shaft, should be pretty tight if it wobbles it will just get looser, but the shaft should have some play going into the case.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Radrob99
I don't think the sprocket should slide on the shaft, should be pretty tight if it wobbles it will just get looser, but the shaft should have some play going into the case.
thats what I thought, that is why I put the washer/spacer in between the snap ring/clip and the sprocket, to keep it from sliding on the shaft, the shaft does move very little in and out of the case, I thought that was normal, just did not feel the sprocket moving on the shaft was the right way it should go together, the other atv needs to have a spacer on the shaft as well, that is why I mentioned it, just to let other know, thanks for the help on clarifiing it.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

dealseaker,

Well it looks like your are getting a lot of advice from everyone. I probably would have just gave them back. We had a Sunl90 and we had every other problem you can think of, except the chain. It broke once when we first got it and we fixed it and that was that.

I think most of your questions were answered. You won't probably find parts for it anywhere but from a dealer. Raceway ATV is great. We replaced lots of nuts and bolts and it seemed none of them really stayed in place. Watch the exhaust bolts and the carb. bolts. They come off pretty easily and make sure your muffler is good and tight.

After we got rid of ours, we went riding with some friends who had two of them. Their 8 years old ran over the whole pipe and muffler and wedged it all under the bike. Had to pull off the wheels to get it out.

Watch the little a-arm brackets on it, especially if they have been rode hard before you got them, or if your son will be doing any jumping. The one we had broke when my son was riding, wheel dropped off and kid flew over the top. Luckily he was going slow at the time.

Good Luck to you!

B1mom

Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, about the battery. Just take your battery to a battery store. They will give you a good one for about $25 and you'll get a one year warranty on it. We replaced ours after less than a month and got a new one, worked great and didn't ever have a problem starting it after that.

B1mom

Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Range Rover

B1MOM, I don't plan on giving them back, my son loves riding in the back yard, he is just putting around, I don't mind working on it some, I feel it was a good deal, I only have about 400 in them both now, I may try to go get the other one welded today that will be less than 500 in the both of them, with two new batts and frames reinforced, I don't feel that is too much money for my son to play and have fun.

Quick Reply: sunl 70cc SL70 just got two of them, now give me advice pls.