Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

desert cat 90 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default desert cat 90 question

i just looked at an eton 70 and it was nice, but i seem good things and read on here good things about this desert cat....is it to much quad for my boy he is 4..a big 4 almost 4ft and 46lbs...basically can it be governed down so he can grow into it and is dependable...

he rides an atc 70 in yard now but it has no shocks and only 3 wheels...we want to hit the trails...

Old 08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it can be set to slower operation by screwing the throttle all the way it, but it still goes
at a good clip with it all the way in. My kid is 8 and 4'2" and 62 lbs. Here are some pics of him
on the DC 90... My kid just fits into it now...yours might be a little small for it now as it is a bigger 90cc than most.

http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/atv&page=all

You'll have to cut and paste the link...I couldn't get it to insert here at work.

Darrin

Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

i like the look of it, any idea of seat height....his 3 wheeler seat is 24ish from the ground...

i am also concerned with problems with it..did you get yours locally or somewhere else...who will fix it?

Old 08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

chirochris,

We have a DC90 for our son. He just turned 8 but he is only 34lbs. and 42 inches. We bought ours from a guy down at the beach 5 hours from us, but we live in Oregon. Racewayatv has them too, their customer service is great! We bought our cheap chinese bike from them and even though the bike didn't work out they were always wonderful to work with.

As far as problems, we have not had any with ours. We bought it in May and go riding every weekend. My son can climb hills, jump and it has a lot of get up and go. You can turn it way down, until your son is ready. Which doesn't seem like it takes too long for these kids.

We just got paddles for ours and there are lots of mods you can do later when he is older and ready for them. I don't know how to put pictures in so I will try to put some on my profile page so you can see the DC90. It will take me a minute to figure that out.

B1mom

Old 08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

chirochris,

I put some pictures of my sons bike on my gallery page I thhink. It says its waiting for approval. I hope you will be able to find them. I don't know how to get that little camera by my name, maybe it will automatically do it once I am approved.

B1mom

Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B1mom, yes, the camera appears after the pics get approved. chirochris, that is a tough call for a 4y/o. How does he do on the trike? I know those atc70's can move out pretty well. I ALMOST bought one for my son, but also wanted something more trail worthy. My son is 4'1" and 49 pounds. Quads like the DC90 do fit him, but he is right at the lower limit. If you reallly want him to have a 90, the E-ton 90 has the same size frame, just slightly larger tires than the 70 models. That brand 90 also comes with dual a-arms now plus reverse is an option. These fit my son perfect, I just was looking to go a little less expensive for his quad.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

For safty "they"? recommend a quad not weigh more than 3x the rider

Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately there are 2 main underlying problems in the mini world. 1, the CPSC and other governing agencies love to target quads, and the guidelines that are currently in place should be updated more for height and weight than age. That would fall in line with current standards for other things child related, such as use of car seats and amusement park rides. 2, atv manufacturers need to start offering better products. The recent influx of Chinese/Taiwanese products are upping the ante feature wise, and some are likewise reliability wise as well. The new crop of 90's from Suzuki and Kawasaki seem aimed directly at the Honda 90. They are sure to be reliable, but not as performance oriented as I would like to see. Xtreme seems tp be one of the few companies looking to actually make a mini sport quad, Zgod Bless 'em. Until we start seeing better offerings, many parents are going to put there kids on what is available. chirochris's son is probably a bit to small and definately to young for a 90, maybe he could wait another season? Sounds like you have a big boy that may outgrow a tamer 70 fairly quickly though.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

chirochris,

pictures are up now in my gallery.

As far as the 3x weight thing, my son is 34lbs and he just turned 8. His bike is heavy, but he wouldn't get to ride anything if they went by weight. Maybe parents should be more responsible and buy suitable bikes for the age and ability of the rider.

The DC90 works great for my son, size wise he can grow into it, and then as need be we can modify it. By the time we get done modifying it he should be able to ride a Blaster. I like the DC90 because he doesn't have to shift. I know lots of people think their kids should learn to shift but right now I am more concerned that he learns how to go up hills the right way and watch out for other people.

I guess in the end you have the desicion to make, I would suggest finding a dealer around you and let him try it out. I drove 5 hours with my 2 kids so my son could ride this DC at the beach to make sure he could reach the pedal and drive and control it. If you go to www.unison-atv.com you can find dealers in your area.

B1mom

Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

well we sat on the new eton 70, grizzly 90 and raptor 50 they all seem to big for him...i guess i will need to stick with the lt 50 cause it fits him great..i guess the suzuki's are biult smaller..

cant find a desetcat to sit on but if somebody could tell me the seat height and i can compare it to the others...

when did getting a quad get so dam hard!

Quick Reply: desert cat 90 question