Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

what made you buy your kids a little quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what made you buy your kids a little quad

My kid was riding a powerwheels that his grandmother bought him when he was 4. He loved it and kept buggin me to get him a real quad. Where we lived in CT at the time did not lend itself to have him riding in the yard....we were on a side of a mountain.

Once we moved to Rochester NY and got a good sized yard with a large berm out back I
decided it was time for him to get a quad. So on his 8th birthday I ordered the Unison Desert Cat 90. I looked at the Polaris Predator 90 and saw it was basically the same as the DC90 without a foot brake (very important), but did have reverse. Well I opted for him having the footbrake instead and glad I did. I also looked at the LT80 which was too small for him and the Honda 90, but didn't like the suspension or the shifting he would have to do. I figured I wanted him concentrating on staying upright rather than worrying about what gear he was in.

No regrets on buying the DC90 at all! We just added wheels and tires to it and it performs sooooo much better. Wish they shipped with the wheels I put on it. (see my pics)

Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what made you buy your kids a little quad

My little boy had been riding a battery-powered plastic ATV for a couple of years. Two things happened to move him into a gas-powered one:

1) We finished our backyard, which is on two levels connected by a rather steep grassy road. He loves taking his ATV into the backyard, something we actually encourage because it's away from the street and very safe. But once the electric one went down the hill, it couldn't even pull itself up the hill with no rider. Thus Mom and Dad were always lugging it back up the hill.

2) Mom and Son surprised Dad with an ATV for Father's Day. Sitting him on the fuel tank wasn't really safe, and Dad riding by himself meant the family wasn't having fun together.

So Son got a Suzuki LT-A50, very shortly followed by Mom getting her own fullsize. Now we ride as a family and my son can drive himself up most hills.