Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

WARANTY REPLACEMENT OEM WITH MORE JUNK OEM PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARANTY REPLACEMENT OEM WITH MORE JUNK OEM PARTS

All,
I was just wondering on these Chinese quads... what good is a warranty that replaces high failure rate parts with the same part that broke to begin with. If a part fails so often ...and we do read these failures, why get another part that is going to lack the same original quality standards as the previous junk? I wonder if these companies see these high failure rates and fix them...or just wait us out until the warranty is gone. On my VX-80, I either fabricate my parts of try to find matches on other brands. Not always possible, but I don't want to replace a junky part with a new junky part??? Thoughts? SEADAWG

Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

My daugher's VX-80's starter went out this weekend...shooooooocker! Hmmm, do I replace it with a new junk starter or do I just forget about it and kick start it? I'll buy a new one only because I want to keep it in good shape regardless of its lack of quality. SEADAWG

Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

When you say "went out," what exactly do you mean? If it sounds like its spinning, but not engaging with the engine, the starter is not the issue. The bendix gear was a problem on many of the early VX-80s, and leads to those symptoms.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts?

That's the downside of a $600 quad. The quad is not marketed to develope a customer for life, the quad is designed to be attractive by price. Will customers be dissatisfied? Of course. So they will not buy another of that brand. Does the manufacturer care? Not really. They may have to refund a few people and they may have to send out large amounts of cheap parts but the bottom line economics are that they can make more money selling large numbers of $600 quads than smaller numbers of a better quality and more expensive quad.

As many who own quads from China, they do have a place - as a first time yard quad. Some will get lucky and not have many problems but for those who do it's because you just can't get high quality for a cheap price.

Jaybee

Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

All,
You are all correct and I don't doubt a word. The starter is probably the bendix, but I don't care at this point. It is still really new in my book and shouldn't go out.
About the $600.00 quad...I know they want the quick money, but they will burn so many people and when they wake up, it may be to late. When they cry that they are now quality quads...we will not believe them. It will be a cold day in hell before I leave the Japs. I just was amazed how poorly they were made...at least mine. SEADAWG

Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't underestimate the power of marketing. The appeal of the Chineese quads is that they look exactly like a quality quad at one third of the price. They are targeting anyone new to ATVing or on a really tight budget. They will even have a market for those who expect quality problems - if you can't afford a $2,000 quad for your kid then it is true that a poor quality $600 quad is better than not having one at all. There is no real need for upping quality to generate repeat business as there will always be new people with new kids looking to get into ATVing as cheaply as possible.

I don't say this to flame, just being realistic. You can make something cheap or you can make something well - it's tough to do both.

Jaybee

Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
I don't disagree with you at all ...it is tough to do both. But, those households on tight budget will one day have money and when they remember the problems and quality...where will the do in the future. In the woods out where I live....nobody is happy with them. That is one reason I want the Chinese forum...there are good ones out there and good dealers. SEADAWG

Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hopefully a true after market will come to the rescue!

Old 11-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Being a musician, I see guitars from China with the same looks, feel and sounds but for a quarter of the price as a USA built axe. The quality is all there except within the name. Now this being said, guitars and ATV's are two different monsters, but one can hope they can be compared and looked at unbiasedly.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
America can't compete with free labor. I honestly don't know anything about guitars...wish I could play one, but don't have the skills. As for ATVs/Motorcycles, I have owned them all my life and can compare them. The ATVs are about 1/3 the price and the quality is not as good as the Japs. In saying that, some are worth the money and the risks...especially if one is on a tight budget. When I bought mine, I was looking for a Jap quality on a Chinese budget. It didn't work out for me, but others have had good luck. SEADAWG

Quick Reply: WARANTY REPLACEMENT OEM WITH MORE JUNK OEM PARTS