Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Which model is this? Confused buyer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 AM
kbi
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model is this? Confused buyer!!!

Speedknot - Like you, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the same situation you are in terms of trying to decide what to buy. Have you made a decision yet? If so, I'd like to know what you decided to go with. Additionally, could you send me the link for the youth atv that is mention in your previous posting?

I appreciate your help.

Confused buyer.....

Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kbi
Speedknot - Like you, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the same situation you are in terms of trying to decide what to buy. Have you made a decision yet? If so, I'd like to know what you decided to go with. Additionally, could you send me the link for the youth atv that is mention in your previous posting?
I think im just going to go with the Hensim/Tierra 70cc mini. I researched the company and looked around for parts suppliers and they all seem to be decent. The other quad, the 90cc one that I found on ebay, is what I really want to get but not much in known about it yet. The way I figure it, my son will use the Hensim 70cc for a year or so and then we will pass it down to my daughter. She's the real firecracker out of the two. Then after that time I will re-evaluate the 90cc model. If I see more selling this model and offering parts for it then I will probably pick it up. I dont know what the policy is on this site for posting links of retailers on the forums so if you want, shoot me an email at mrdjc@verizon.net and we can talk more.

If I wasnt handy I probably would steer clear of these chinese models but the way I see it, as long as its properly assembled and maintained it should last at least till they grow out of them. At that time I will get them a nice quality built Yamaha or Honda.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Please be careful buying the 70cc tierra.We just bought one and are now shipping it back. The quad has a singla a-arm suspension instead of a dual arm suspension. The problem with this machine is when you go to turn or slightly lean the front tires go in which in result could make the rear come off the ground. Safety is the most important thing when your child is involved. Test the quad out before buying it.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Single A-arm bad...Dual A-arm good. The best advice I can give you though is to call John at Raceway, and fit your son up to one of his. With Raceway, anything he sells, will have parts availability, plus he truly stands behind every quad he sells. My two cents worth about one cent. Either avenue you decide to go, good luck! I have a 5 yr old who still rides a Kazuma Meerkat, and he loves it. But he will soon outgrow it too. He rolled it two weeks ago, has a little handlebar rash on his stomach. Scared the crap out of me, but after I checked and found out he was okay, I laughed at him. He was trying to do doughnuts. What a hot dog! I can see I will have to watch him carefully all of his life and bring lots of gauze and bandages!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Dont be so critical of the single A-arm suspension. The problem with the Hensim 70cc is that its not set up properly. This is an engineering problem on Hensims part. I agree, a double arm suspension is better but for a small quad like this a single arm is just fine. I see exactly what you are saying about the front suspension. I took one side apart and devised a way to make it work much better, using two pivot points instead of one. Working in a metal shop will make fabricating it a breeze. Another way to fix it is to immobilize the front entirely so the suspension doesnt compress. Or, you can just send it back. Ya get what you pay for with these things.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Dont be so critical of the single A-arm suspension. The problem with the Hensim 70cc is that its not set up properly. This is an engineering problem on Hensims part. I agree, a double arm suspension is better but for a small quad like this a single arm is just fine. I see exactly what you are saying about the front suspension. I took one side apart and devised a way to make it work much better, using two pivot points instead of one. Working in a metal shop will make fabricating it a breeze. Another way to fix it is to immobilize the front entirely so the suspension doesnt compress. Or, you can just send it back. Ya get what you pay for with these things.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't work in a metal shop so I can"t fabricate the quad nor would I know anything about doing so. I am only interested in the safety of my child. I drove the 70cc and it scared me. Maybe I received a defected quad. I never saw a quad where you step on the front suspension and one tire stays straight and one tire pivots all the way in. I do know that the hensin 70cc tierra does come in a dual a-arm suspension ,which is what we thought we bought according to their specifications of the quad . The company is misleading the public by stated one thing and delivering another.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also bought a Hensim 70cc. I agree that there are issues, but nothing I did not expect for the price. My opinion after checking it out is that the front suspension is very stiff. I do not see where a light weight kid is going to cause the front to compress like an adult riding it around. Your looking at 40 or 50 lbs vs 160 to 200. I only expect to get a year or two out of it. I like the fact that is has an excellent disc brake on the rear, and it has a hand lever as well as the footbrake. I did order a set of stud extenders to help with stability.

I do not think the suspension setup is worth beans for a larger child or one that is riding it hard. I do feel it is perfectly safe as a backyard cruiser to learn on. If my son likes riding and wants to stick with it, I will shell out the bucks for a name brand quad. If he decides he does not like it, I am taking much of a loss.